Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15
  1. #1
    Medal Winner
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    32

    Dunlop Tour Soft Balls

    Iíve been using these balls from Sports Direct since returning to golf eight months back. They are ridiculously cheap, to the point where I donít waste much time looking for stray shots.
    Iím definitely improving slightly (maybe 25 hícap standard) and have bought new equipment which has added distance, and Iíve read a review saying that these balls are really poor for distance. Iíd be happy to spend more if they added 10 yards or so.
    Any advice on these balls, or which ones to move on to?

  2. #2
    Journeyman Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Havering
    Posts
    1,853

    Re: Dunlop Tour Soft Balls

    Quote Originally Posted by Jaco View Post
    Iíve been using these balls from Sports Direct since returning to golf eight months back. They are ridiculously cheap, to the point where I donít waste much time looking for stray shots.
    Iím definitely improving slightly (maybe 25 hícap standard) and have bought new equipment which has added distance, and Iíve read a review saying that these balls are really poor for distance. Iíd be happy to spend more if they added 10 yards or so.
    Any advice on these balls, or which ones to move on to?
    Friend of mine plays off 12.. he drives 250 yards on average.. we went out other day and he hit 77 on a par 67

    He plays with Dunlop tour softs

    His wedge play and putting is decent with them

    Rates them highly

    Good enough for me

  3. #3
    Grand Slam Winner Imurg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Aylesbury Bucks
    Posts
    22,445

    Re: Dunlop Tour Soft Balls

    Srixon AD333 or Soft Feel are, kind of, the next step.
    Decent balls, decent performance, decent price
    If you want a softer ball the Wilson DX2 or Callaway Supersport - both cheap as chips and decent performance.

    Dunlop Tour Soft are only soft if you're comparing them to a Diamond...
    Callaway clubs in a Callaway bag.

    Handicap 7.8 at Whipsnade Park

    H4H Handicap challenge Vs r0wly86

    You might be a King or a Little Street Sweeper but sooner or later you dance with The Reaper...

  4. #4
    Journeyman Pro Green Bay Hacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    1,584

    Re: Dunlop Tour Soft Balls

    I bought a load of these a couple of years ago to use in the winter as they were cheap as chips. This winter I have been using my normal summer ball, AD333 Tour, but yesterday I was going through my stock of balls and found half a box of the DTS. Decided to use them today and equalled my best score of the winter (26 points for the 14 holes). On our course it doesn't really matter what ball you use in the winter due to the shortened course and muddy conditions but to be honest I haven't really noticed any difference in distance between the balls.
    Ping G400 driver, G400 5 wood, G400 2 Hybrid, Ping G20 irons 5-PW, Titleist 52, 60 Vokey wedges, Callaway Sure Out 56 wedge,Odyssey White Hot putter.

  5. #5
    Medal Winner
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    32

    Re: Dunlop Tour Soft Balls

    Oh well, I think those posts answer the question. Iíll stick with the cheapies. I was probably clutching at straws that spending 30 quid on balls would have me driving like Bubba .
    i think Iíll treat myself to some Truvis balls for my Vilamoura trip in May though, just because theyíll be easy to identify against my mates.

  6. #6
    Money List Winner
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    9,035

    Re: Dunlop Tour Soft Balls

    Quote Originally Posted by Jaco View Post
    Oh well, I think those posts answer the question. Iíll stick with the cheapies. I was probably clutching at straws that spending 30 quid on balls would have me driving like Bubba .
    i think Iíll treat myself to some Truvis balls for my Vilamoura trip in May though, just because theyíll be easy to identify against my mates.
    Sounds like you have the right idea.

    Whatever suits you
    some metal woods,
    any old irons,
    Pick up balls....

    12.2 and moving the wrong way again...

  7. #7
    Hall of Famer HomerJSimpson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Bracknell - Berkshire
    Posts
    54,724

    Re: Dunlop Tour Soft Balls

    Judging by the number I've found in the rough recently these Dunlop balls are definitely getting some use

  8. #8
    Journeyman Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Havering
    Posts
    1,853

    Re: Dunlop Tour Soft Balls

    Quote Originally Posted by HomerJSimpson View Post
    Judging by the number I've found in the rough recently these Dunlop balls are definitely getting some use
    Because their so cheap no1 bothers to look for them in a practice round

  9. #9
    Head Pro
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    416

    Re: Dunlop Tour Soft Balls

    The new Titleist DTTruSoft has been getting a lot of good reviews. Several pros have said they are pretty much the equal of the ProV1 in most respects. They typically cost about £17 a dozen, which is cheaper than AD333 nowadays.

    As for the Dunlops, when I'm going on holiday to play unfamiliar courses and expect to lose lots of balls, I get a box of Tour Softs as expendables, and in general I think they are OK.

  10. #10
    Journeyman Pro
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Yeovil
    Posts
    1,988

    Re: Dunlop Tour Soft Balls

    Quote Originally Posted by cliveb View Post
    The new Titleist DTTruSoft has been getting a lot of good reviews. Several pros have said they are pretty much the equal of the ProV1 in most respects. They typically cost about £17 a dozen, which is cheaper than AD333 nowadays.

    As for the Dunlops, when I'm going on holiday to play unfamiliar courses and expect to lose lots of balls, I get a box of Tour Softs as expendables, and in general I think they are OK.
    The Trusoft is too soft for me I definitely lose distance with irons probably because of the spin level I get with them. Not really a competitor against a ProV1 or any similar 3 piece urethane ball.

    I to find loads of assorted Dunlop Balls on our 9 hole course probably because the Sports Direct shop is next to the course.
    Handicap 9 (was 6, now showing my age)An absolute miss mash of clubs

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest Golf News