Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Re: Driving range costs

At my place 83p for 25 or 50 during happy hour, which is 9.00 to 11.00 weekdays & 5.00 to 6.00 weekends, provided you top up your card with 1,500 balls for £50. Decent quality balls & great mats. Happy hour is like a retirees' social club. Go there, hit a few balls, have a coffee & a chat. I can spend most of the morning there. It's attached to an American Golf, but run separately, so I can browse the stock while I'm there too. I'm there most mornings if I'm not playing.
    Taylormade M1 9½°, Matrix Black Tie 6M3 Regular
    Taylormade SLDR 3 wood
    Taylormade SLDR 5 wood
    TaylormadeSLDR Rescue 22°
    Mizuno JPX850 forged irons 4 - PW
    Titelist Vokey 50 & 58 wedges
    Cure RX4 putter (heavyweight magic wand)
    Vice Pro Plus ball
    H/C 10 @ SSGC.co.uk (9.5, whole season to get back to single figures)

Assistant Pro

At my club the regular price for a single bucket of 30 balls is £2.50. Drops to £2 a basket if a 5 token digicard is bought. Cheapest deal is 100 baskets for £99. It gets put on your club card but will get reset at the start of the new club year (April), however if you still have a balance you can request the physical digicards be issued.

Quote Originally Posted by Trojan615 View Post
    What range is that ?
    It's part of Longhirst GC, a mile or two north of Morpeth.

Range closest to me is £1 for 20 balls.

The one slightly further away is £1 for 15 balls but the more you spend the more you get, think it is £5 for 92 or something like that.
    H/C: 14.5 Clandeboye Golf Club, Bangor, Northern Ireland. Driver: 2016 M1- Project X Hzrdus black 6.0 . 3 wood: TM M2 HL 3 Iron: Srixon ZU45 Hybrids:TM RBZ Stage2 4. Irons: Ping I 5-PW. Wedges: SM6- 50, 56, 60. Putter: Odyssey 2-ball Fang Tank

Major Champion SwingsitlikeHogan's Avatar

Not sure if it counts as a range in the context of OP question - but my club has it's own range - free range balls collected by greens team, and three covered bays. Range is big enough to accomodate tee shots with driver. Plans are to set out a little par 3 course on it (maybe 5 or 6 holes) mainly for juniors and academy use. Of course range would be shut when course in use.
    to infinity and beyond...

...well from 10.0 to 9.4 this year would be nice.

And last medal of the year (Oct) saw me play to handicap but CSS was +1 so that was me down 0.2 from 8.3 to 8.1

Job done

Quote Originally Posted by HomerJSimpson View Post
    It seems a range has the potential to be real gold mines!
    Years ago they were. When we opened ours back in the mid 80s we were the only range north of Edinburgh so had a monopoly. Over the years more and more opened so the competition became greater. We also had a well stocked shop with clubs, clothing and accessories but the internet killed that. Overheads are expensive too with fuel, heating and staff costs. In the summer the grass needs cutting at least once a week and balls collected twice daily when busy, and in the winter the cost of floodlighting 8 acres is extortionate. Balls need washing every time they are picked, and in the winter with mud on them it takes at least two runs through the washer to clean them. Along with the other costs such as wages, balls, mats, tees, ongoing maintenance of buildings, range and machinery, it certainly isn't the gold mine that folk think it is.

High Legh is £8 for 100 balls, but you can get good discounts if you load a card.

They have some flight scope type things in a lot of the bays and you can play games such as different points depending on which target or there's 3 courses to go at. (not famous ones) or just use function that tracks your ball. Makes the range more fun.
    H/cap 6.7,

Quote Originally Posted by CliveW View Post
    Years ago they were. When we opened ours back in the mid 80s we were the only range north of Edinburgh so had a monopoly. Over the years more and more opened so the competition became greater. We also had a well stocked shop with clubs, clothing and accessories but the internet killed that. Overheads are expensive too with fuel, heating and staff costs. In the summer the grass needs cutting at least once a week and balls collected twice daily when busy, and in the winter the cost of floodlighting 8 acres is extortionate. Balls need washing every time they are picked, and in the winter with mud on them it takes at least two runs through the washer to clean them. Along with the other costs such as wages, balls, mats, tees, ongoing maintenance of buildings, range and machinery, it certainly isn't the gold mine that folk think it is.
    I accept that but you don't (or I haven't) seen many closing down so they have to be going concerns. Balls need washing but once that's installed (subject to repairs) just does the job. How often are mats replaced? 100 balls x £5 and I reckon (my range being a guide) x 20 bays and it soon tots up so I can see the electricity getting covered. Staff costs I guess depends on how big you want the place to be

£5 for 50 at my nearest range
    PING i25 3-U
    Taylormade R11S
    Glide wedge 54
    Vokey SM6 58
    Bettinardi mallet putter
    Taylormade TP5 ball
    Hcap 4.6

H4H challenge
    Chimpo1 V NWJocko
    4.6 V 4.6

Quote Originally Posted by HomerJSimpson View Post
    I accept that but you don't (or I haven't) seen many closing down so they have to be going concerns. Balls need washing but once that's installed (subject to repairs) just does the job. How often are mats replaced? 100 balls x £5 and I reckon (my range being a guide) x 20 bays and it soon tots up so I can see the electricity getting covered. Staff costs I guess depends on how big you want the place to be
    Quite a difference between 'a going concern' and 'potential gold mine' though

I'd guess more than a few of us have daydreamed about owning a range and I'd also guess the reality is that its tough enough to achieve the former (rather than the latter) that keeps us from actually doing it