Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Assistant Pro

Handicap conversion calculation USGA to CONGU

I've got a USGA handicap and I'm exploring whether i can play in a UK CONGU open competition. Apparently there is a conversion calculation. Anyone know what it is? It doesn't come up in a Google search

Head Pro

Re: Handicap conversion calculation USGA to CONGU

Quote Originally Posted by scubascuba3 View Post
    I've got a USGA handicap and I'm exploring whether i can play in a UK CONGU open competition. Apparently there is a conversion calculation. Anyone know what it is? It doesn't come up in a Google search
    In actual fact, you have an USGA "Handicap Index" which is to be converted to a "course handicap" by using the slope rating of the course being played,
    course handicap = handicap index times course slope rating divided by 113, the answer be rounded to the nearest hole number with .5 being rounded up.
    Not sure what you do if the course being played does not have a slope rating.

Journeyman Pro

Persaonnly I would just ask the comp organisers if they would accept what you have.

One thing to watch out for is that the vast majority of UK clubs insist that a player has competition status as part of their handicap.
    Handicap 9 (was 6, now showing my age)An absolute miss mash of clubs

Money List Winner

Wrote a long reply and it's gone walkies!

From memory you use a generic 113 course slope index because you aren't converting it to play to par but to SSS/CSS and the rating is inherent I that figure.

It's optional for organisers as to whether they accept entries with EGA/USGA/etc handicaps, and I believe they can also adjust handicaps too if they feel appropriate! Certainly many who play EVA events with CONGU handicaps have found that organisers like to deduct a bit from the arithmetic calculation (I believe 3 is common).

The lower the handicap index the closer to parity between the systems although, generally, the USGA basis moves faster and further. As with both systems extremes of course rating/ease or difficulty still reflect in the strength of the handicap based on that course.
    some metal woods,
    any old irons,
    Pick up balls....

12.2 and moving the wrong way again...

There's two American who are members at my club, both that have holiday homes in Nairn and come over for the summer and play and both of them have separate handicaps as it was too much hassle.

They play a load of comps without any problem, no good to you though.
    http://www.nairngolfclub.co.uk/

The Nairn Golf Club, Club Champion (handicap) 2017

Head Pro

Quote Originally Posted by patricks148 View Post
    There's two American who are members at my club, both that have holiday homes in Nairn and come over for the summer and play and both of them have separate handicaps as it was too much hassle.
    Out of interest, how do their US and CONGU handicaps compare?
    There's a general feeling in my club that CONGU handicaps tend to be lower than US ones due to the way handicaps are maintained (eg. it's harder to get down to, say, 10 in the US than in the UK).

Quote Originally Posted by cliveb View Post
    There's a general feeling in my club that CONGU handicaps tend to be lower than US ones due to the way handicaps are maintained (eg. it's harder to get down to, say, 10 in the US than in the UK).
    i think they are about the same tbh, both off 10ish. my understanding was the other way round.
    http://www.nairngolfclub.co.uk/

The Nairn Golf Club, Club Champion (handicap) 2017

Tour Winner

Quote Originally Posted by scubascuba3 View Post

The USGA handicapping system is not directly comparable with CONGU and there is no conversion calculation.

CONGU handicaps may be allocated to players based on their full playing records.
    There are special provisions for Cat 1 players attending a Golf Academy or on a University Golf Scholarship in the USA.

However, if a GB & I course has a Slope Index, USGA players should record/return the scores in order to update their USGA handicap.

Money List Winner

Quote Originally Posted by patricks148 View Post
    i think they are about the same tbh, both off 10ish. my understanding was the other way round.
    I agree.
    some metal woods,
    any old irons,
    Pick up balls....

12.2 and moving the wrong way again...

Quote Originally Posted by cliveb View Post
    I'd say they are the other way round, my NZ handicap ( simliar system ) was 3 where as here I'm a 5 . We had friends who came over in the Summer from UK and they also were a couple of shots better.