Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Tour Winner

Re: Handicap conversion calculation USGA to CONGU

As said, it comes the 'slope' on a graph.

The Course Rating for a scratch player is plotted to the left and the Course Rating for a bogey player to the right. A straight line is drawn to join the two.

The gradient of the blue line is the slope. The handicap allowance for the 10 capper can be determined by moving along the X axis and checking the value on the Y axis.

Please excuse the drawing, it is very approximate. Simply to show the principle.

Slope.jpg

I must admit I have over simplified the process as a formula is applied to the difference between the two ratings. But the explanation would take significantly more typing (and brain ache) than this comment saying why I haven't included it.
    Last edited by rulefan; 15-Jan-2018 at 17:26.

Head Pro

Quote Originally Posted by LincolnShep View Post
    I realise this is a slight diversion but does anyone know why it's called a "slope" index? Seems an odd name, where does it come from?
    All you wanted to know is here -> http://www.popeofslope.com/index.html

Assistant Pro
    Tacolneston - 12 I miles South of Norwich

There was an article produced by the Portuguese Golf Fed that gives the following conversion:
    Uk handicap x 90%, then apply that handicap to the correct point on that courses chart. There will be separate charts that have been calculated for each tee - white, yellow, red and for each gender
    Handicap - 21
    Member of Bawburgh, Norfolk
    Plays most weekends
    Ping G30 clubs

Tour Winner

Quote Originally Posted by TerryA View Post
    There was an article produced by the Portuguese Golf Fed that gives the following conversion:
    Uk handicap x 90%, then apply that handicap to the correct point on that courses chart. There will be separate charts that have been calculated for each tee - white, yellow, red and for each gender
    That is an unofficial process utilized by Portugal who are members of the EGA.

Tour Winner

Quote Originally Posted by rulie View Post
    All you wanted to know is here -> http://www.popeofslope.com/index.html
    I'm afraid a lot of the information on this site is out of date. However the technical aspects of slope are correct of course correct..

Thanks Duncan, Rulefan and Rulie - very interesting.
    • Welton Manor Golf Club
    • 2018: 20.6 ---> ?
    • 2017: 20.1 ---> 21.0 ---> 20.6
    • 2016: 21.5 ---> 22.0 ---> 19.5 ---> 20.1
    • 2015: 21.0 ---> 21.5