Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Tour Winner

Re: Handicap conversion calculation USGA to CONGU

Quote Originally Posted by scubascuba3 View Post
    Everytime i play its a competition, 20-40 people usually
    It's the difference between the USGA averaging and the CONGU ratchet methods.

Assistant Pro

Quote Originally Posted by rulefan View Post
    It's the difference between the USGA averaging and the CONGU ratchet methods.
    Is that the answer to a question?

Tour Winner

Quote Originally Posted by scubascuba3 View Post
    Is that the answer to a question?
    It's a suggestion as to why a CONGU handicap might be lower than a USGA handicap if all rounds are played as CONGU qualifiers and the scores are returned to both systems.

Challenge Tour Pro mikejohnchapman's Avatar

Has a decisin been made yet about how many rounds out of 20 will be used to calculate a playing handicap? I have heard both 10 and 8 being discussed.
    Callaway XR16 Driver
    Titleist 915 F 3 Wood
    Ping G400 17 Deg Hybrid
    Mizuno H5 4 Iron
    Mizuno JPX 900 5-PW
    Titleist Vokey 50, 54 & 58 Deg Wedges
    Scotty Camerion Newport DB putter

H/c 4.5

Tour Winner

Quote Originally Posted by mikejohnchapman View Post
    Has a decisin been made yet about how many rounds out of 20 will be used to calculate a playing handicap? I have heard both 10 and 8 being discussed.
    Are you assuming that the USGA type system will be the only option or do you know?

Assistant Pro

Are you assuming that the USGA type system will be the only option or do you know?
    I bet 10 baht that it will be based on the USGA system. I imagine they are going through the process of proving the best option. The USGA is the most logical calculation. One thing though, you can't work out in your head how much your handicap will change after a competition unlike CONGU

Money List Winner

Clearly, from the agreed statement of principles, it's not the only option.

However, if Mike's indicating his expectation I agree with him!

Can't see it being anything else for a number of reasons.

Only issues for me are the basis for the calculation (how many from how many) and the definition of relevant scores to be included (I can see a little more restriction being applied here - there will be differences in the application; inevitable once the door was opened to their existence).

Which then leaves the thorny issue of whether to include a course conditions adjustment for any competition scores (Aus) or not (USGA). A lot less relevant in an averaging system than the current CONGU one but likely to be part of the system just so that it doesn't look like the wholesale adoption of the USGA!

However, time will tell so it's a non issue until something happens.
    some metal woods,
    any old irons,
    Pick up balls....

12.2 and moving the wrong way again...

No I don't know - hence the question.

I know from what I read that the desire is to have "global" system. Whilst the USGA system clearly works there are other viable alternatives (like the Aussie system) so I assumed there would be some compromise to come up with the best of the existing systems which we would then adopt.

If the desire is to implement this in January 2020 then things presumaby need to be decided quickly to allow systems to be changed and a major communcations exercise undertaken after the new rules are implemented in 2019.

If we add the implementation of the USGA Course Rating system into the mix then things are going to get busy and potentially confusing.
    Callaway XR16 Driver
    Titleist 915 F 3 Wood
    Ping G400 17 Deg Hybrid
    Mizuno H5 4 Iron
    Mizuno JPX 900 5-PW

H/c 4.5

Tour Winner

Quote Originally Posted by mikejohnchapman View Post
    No I don't know - hence the question.

If we add the implementation of the USGA Course Rating system into the mix then things are going to get busy and potentially confusing.
    The USGA rating of men's courses in England is now well under way (2020 is the target) and is a necessary precursor to the WHS.
    The rest of the world already use the system. It makes no difference to CONGU as the Course Rating simply becomes the SSS. It might be an inconvenience to some clubs where the CR is not the same as the CR. But it is a massive time and cost to the counties.

The USGA rating of men's courses in England is now well under way (2020 is the target) and is a necessary precursor to the WHS.
    The rest of the world already use the system. It makes no difference to CONGU as the Course Rating simply becomes the SSS. It might be an inconvenience to some clubs where the CR is not the same as the CR. But it is a massive time and cost to the counties.
    I am now confused about how this will be implemented as I didn't believe the course rating system was a precursor.

Assuming a 2020 implementation, existing playing handicaps will still be valid I presume?

New rounds will then count towards the new system until the minimum number (8/10/?) have been played at which point a new handicap will be calculated? This will then continue going forward until 20 rounds have been playd when scores will start being dropped.

Presumably this could be done with or without the new course rating system?

I appreciate the amount of work involved here - I am helping with the assessments in the county and we are on track to finish this year but I understand several counties are struggling with this labour intensive exercise.
    Callaway XR16 Driver
    Titleist 915 F 3 Wood
    Ping G400 17 Deg Hybrid
    Mizuno H5 4 Iron
    Mizuno JPX 900 5-PW

H/c 4.5