Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13
  1. #1
    Assistant Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    165

    A Question for any plumbers.

    I have a shower with a mixer tap - no thermostat. It turns on and off,mixes and generally behaves itself. However, recently after taking a shower, after a few minutes, the shower starts to drip and I mean really drip for just a few seconds and then stops.It doesn't drip continuously at all.
    I know that this is a trivial problem but what is bugging me is that it doesn't seem to make sense. If it wants to leak why doesn't it do so all the time? My water pressure is pretty powerful, a factor?

  2. #2
    Tour Rookie
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,329

    Re: A Question for any plumbers.

    Iím not a plumber but it Could just be excess water in the hose between the mixer bar and the shower head if it only happening for a few seconds after you switch the shower off .
    Failing that it could be a worn seal or rubber washer.

  3. #3
    Journeyman Pro anotherdouble's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    2,178

    Re: A Question for any plumbers.

    If you can understand a scouse keyboard then get hold of stu

  4. #4
    Ryder Cup Winner Stuart_C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Liverpool
    Posts
    10,661

    Re: A Question for any plumbers.

    Quote Originally Posted by hors limite View Post
    I have a shower with a mixer tap - no thermostat. It turns on and off,mixes and generally behaves itself. However, recently after taking a shower, after a few minutes, the shower starts to drip and I mean really drip for just a few seconds and then stops.It doesn't drip continuously at all.
    I know that this is a trivial problem but what is bugging me is that it doesn't seem to make sense. If it wants to leak why doesn't it do so all the time? My water pressure is pretty powerful, a factor?
    It sounds like itís just the water whatís been left in the hose from the tap and itís dripping. If it was anything else it would be constantly dripping.

  5. #5
    Major Champion Fish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Coventry
    Posts
    19,454

    Re: A Question for any plumbers.

    Quote Originally Posted by Stuart_C View Post
    It sounds like itís just the water whatís been left in the hose from the tap and itís dripping. If it was anything else it would be constantly dripping.
    So to eliminate that would be to lower the shower head rose and then turn off the taps exhausting the water from the hose and then replace the rose head.

  6. #6
    Ryder Cup Winner Stuart_C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Liverpool
    Posts
    10,661

    Re: A Question for any plumbers.

    Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    So to eliminate that would be to lower the shower head rose and then turn off the taps exhausting the water from the hose and then replace the rose head.
    Why replace the head?

    Youíll still end up with water in the hose from the valve.

    Itís almost impossible to switch the taps off then all of the water to drain as the pressure eases off.

  7. #7
    Major Champion Fish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Coventry
    Posts
    19,454

    Re: A Question for any plumbers.

    Quote Originally Posted by Stuart_C View Post
    Why replace the head?

    Youíll still end up with water in the hose from the valve.

    Itís almost impossible to switch the taps off then all of the water to drain as the pressure eases off.
    I didnít say replace the head, simply lower the head and hose and switch off the taps thus exhausting any water in the hose, when replacing Ďthe positioní of the head on its rail back at head height there shouldnít be any water left in it to drip!

  8. #8
    Journeyman Pro Bunkermagnet's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    1,664

    Re: A Question for any plumbers.

    If you live in a hard water, might it be the jets of the shower head are restricted a little and when you turn off the shower you arenít getting a balance of air quick enough, so the head takes a little longer than it did to drain down
    Forever trying.

  9. #9
    Journeyman Pro
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Bradford
    Posts
    1,700

    Re: A Question for any plumbers.

    Maybe more general DIY but one of our screws on our bath taps (one of them niagra style taps) has come loose and water is dripping through it when running the taps. The screw will not screw back in to place and can be pulled out, would some silicone attached to the screw and pressed back in place solve it? The screw is maybe 1-1.5cm(ish) in length.
    Ping G15 Driver
    Ping G20 Hybrid
    Ping G10 18 Hybrid
    Cobra Amp 5-SW Irons
    Titliest Vokey 60 degree
    Taylormade Rossa Putter

    Handicap 27

  10. #10
    Tour Rookie
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Yeovil
    Posts
    1,217

    Re: A Question for any plumbers.

    The thought that is just water left in the hose denies the laws of physics.

    For the water to run out of the hose must mean that their is too much water in it.

    I have a similar problem with mine and I simply briefly turn it on and off again. I simply consider to be the fact that the washer is not seating properly to block off a very small leak.

    If you are talking about a manual mixer with a shower attachment in the middle with a pull up or turn lever I would have thought it must simply be that means by which the shower seals the water flow is not sealing properly may be a bit of calcium if stuck or a calcium build up on the metal, or wear in the ball which cuts the flow meaning that water is able to get past.
    Handicap 9 (was 6, now showing my age)An absolute miss mash of clubs

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest Golf News

LAAC day 3 report: Alvaro Ortiz leads by one

Alvaro Ortiz of Mexico leads the Latin America Amateur Championship in Santiago, Chile by one shot from a group of four players including the defending champion Toto Gana and the Worldís Number 1 amateur Joaquin Niemann, both from Chile.

January 22, 2018

Titleist Vokey SM7 Wedge Review

The new Titleist Vokey SM7 wedge represents the latest addition to the successful Vokey range. Does the performance match the premium price-tag? Our test team put the new Titleist Vokey SM7 wedge through its' paces

January 22, 2018

Jon Rahm wins CareerBuilder Challenge after playoff

Jon Rahm wins the CareerBuilder Challenge after a playoff with American Andrew Landry

January 22, 2018

LAAC day two: Jaime Lopez Rivarola leads by one

Jaime Lopez Rivarola of Argentina leads the fourth Latin America Amateur championship at the halfway stage after a second round 68 at the Prince of Wales CC in Santiago, Chile.

January 21, 2018

Tommy Fleetwood wins Abu Dhabi HSBC Championship

Tommy Fleetwood wins the Abu Dhabi HSBC Championship, successfully defending the title he won 12 months ago

January 21, 2018