Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Assistant Pro

A Question for any plumbers.

I have a shower with a mixer tap - no thermostat. It turns on and off,mixes and generally behaves itself. However, recently after taking a shower, after a few minutes, the shower starts to drip and I mean really drip for just a few seconds and then stops.It doesn't drip continuously at all.
    I know that this is a trivial problem but what is bugging me is that it doesn't seem to make sense. If it wants to leak why doesn't it do so all the time? My water pressure is pretty powerful, a factor?

Tour Rookie

Re: A Question for any plumbers.

Iím not a plumber but it Could just be excess water in the hose between the mixer bar and the shower head if it only happening for a few seconds after you switch the shower off .
    Failing that it could be a worn seal or rubber washer.

If you can understand a scouse keyboard then get hold of stu

Quote Originally Posted by hors limite View Post
    I have a shower with a mixer tap - no thermostat. It turns on and off,mixes and generally behaves itself. However, recently after taking a shower, after a few minutes, the shower starts to drip and I mean really drip for just a few seconds and then stops.It doesn't drip continuously at all.
    I know that this is a trivial problem but what is bugging me is that it doesn't seem to make sense. If it wants to leak why doesn't it do so all the time? My water pressure is pretty powerful, a factor?
    It sounds like itís just the water whatís been left in the hose from the tap and itís dripping. If it was anything else it would be constantly dripping.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart_C View Post
    It sounds like itís just the water whatís been left in the hose from the tap and itís dripping. If it was anything else it would be constantly dripping.
    So to eliminate that would be to lower the shower head rose and then turn off the taps exhausting the water from the hose and then replace the rose head.

Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    So to eliminate that would be to lower the shower head rose and then turn off the taps exhausting the water from the hose and then replace the rose head.
    Why replace the head?

Youíll still end up with water in the hose from the valve.

Itís almost impossible to switch the taps off then all of the water to drain as the pressure eases off.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart_C View Post
    Why replace the head?

Youíll still end up with water in the hose from the valve.

Itís almost impossible to switch the taps off then all of the water to drain as the pressure eases off.
    I didnít say replace the head, simply lower the head and hose and switch off the taps thus exhausting any water in the hose, when replacing Ďthe positioní of the head on its rail back at head height there shouldnít be any water left in it to drip!

If you live in a hard water, might it be the jets of the shower head are restricted a little and when you turn off the shower you arenít getting a balance of air quick enough, so the head takes a little longer than it did to drain down
    Forever trying.

Journeyman Pro

Maybe more general DIY but one of our screws on our bath taps (one of them niagra style taps) has come loose and water is dripping through it when running the taps. The screw will not screw back in to place and can be pulled out, would some silicone attached to the screw and pressed back in place solve it? The screw is maybe 1-1.5cm(ish) in length.
    TaylorMade M2 Driver
    TaylorMade M2 3 Wood
    Ping G10 18 Hybrid
    Cobra Amp 5-SW Irons
    Titliest Vokey 60 degree
    Odyssey White Hot Putter

Handicap 26

Journeyman Pro

The thought that is just water left in the hose denies the laws of physics.

For the water to run out of the hose must mean that their is too much water in it.

I have a similar problem with mine and I simply briefly turn it on and off again. I simply consider to be the fact that the washer is not seating properly to block off a very small leak.

If you are talking about a manual mixer with a shower attachment in the middle with a pull up or turn lever I would have thought it must simply be that means by which the shower seals the water flow is not sealing properly may be a bit of calcium if stuck or a calcium build up on the metal, or wear in the ball which cuts the flow meaning that water is able to get past.
    Handicap 9 (was 6, now showing my age)An absolute miss mash of clubs