Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Re: Single golfer St. Andrews: April 9-12

Quote Originally Posted by Curls View Post
    I'm watching this thread with interest, my wife is treating me to the Old Course in August for my 40th. She isn't a golfer so I don't want to spend the whole time up there golfing, I'll probably try TOC as a single walk-on but tell me please if you know, at what time would you realise you're not getting on?

At that point would it be possible to play one of the other courses (obviously having not booked)? And does it matter that you were bumped the day before or is it first-come first-served every day? Thanks in advance for the info and hope I'm not hijacking a thread here, reckon this is useful for the OP too.
    If you're in the queue you'll know if you've made it as soon as course assistants appear on duty at the Pavilion. They begin well in advance of the days first tee time. The unpredictable bit is only how many other people are going to be in the queue in front of you and it's first come first serve every day. It's possible to be in the queue all night, get a tee time, go away to have a sleep, and head out to play later in the day but it really depends on how busy it is. I've walked up at 8am and been invited to go straight to the tee, I've also turned up at 5am and been turned away home. It's just a matter of luck but in my experience it's rarely as busy as the stories suggest. Playing as a single is one of the unique pleasures of Old.

August is obviously busy, especially the week of the Eden tournament (13th-17th August), but if you're willing to queue all night you can get on. If you don't make it on, just walk straight over to the New course starter.
    I like putting. (2017 handicap: 11.2...10.0)

Great info lads much appreciated.

I think we'll stay in St Andrews so showing up early isn't a problem, its not like Im going to look back and remember the early start.

Definately going to swerve the Eden comp week, possibly the week before suits best.

Thanks folks and have a great time Bradley!
    1W, 3W, 3h Titleist 915
    4i Titleist 716 TM-B
    5i - PW Mizuno MP54
    51, 55* Vokey SM2
    Odyssey RX7
    H/c 10

Challenge Tour Pro

Quote Originally Posted by drive4show View Post
    Yeah, it's rated 4th best course in GB&I on the strength of 3 holes alone

TOC is a design classic!
    4th best course it's the most featureless course of all the courses mentioned in this topic 3 is rubbish, 4 is tough, is ok, then the loop from 6 other than 8 is the worse run of holes in golf, you telling 9 and 10 are good holes 11 is a great par 3, 12, just a bash with a driver, 13 is no bad, 14 is good, 15 is average, 16 is ok, then you obviously have 17 and I've already said that walking up 18 is the best feeling in golf, but 4th in the UK I'd may be swap one or two holes out from my course but not any more, but hey, you know best
    Last edited by Cabby; 12-Jan-2018 at 14:12.

Quote Originally Posted by DarrenWilliams View Post
    Does anyone know what kind of chance you have of getting a place ?
    All a matter of luck and timing. Stay away from tournaments and big events and general opinion is 2 or 3 attempts.
    I like putting. (2017 handicap: 11.2...10.0)

Quote Originally Posted by Cabby View Post
    4th best course it's the most featureless course of all the courses mentioned in this topic 3 is rubbish, 4 is tough, is ok, then the loop from 6 other than 8 is the worse run of holes in golf, you telling 9 and 10 are good holes 11 is a great par 3, 12, just a bash with a driver, 13 is no bad, 14 is good, 15 is average, 16 is ok, then you obviously have 17 and I've already said that walking up 18 is the best feeling in golf, but 4th in the UK I'd may be swap one or two holes out from my course but not any more, but hey, you know best
    Thanks for your detailed reply

Have you ever looked at any course rankings before? TOC features in just about every UK and world ranking that I've ever seen so your opinion is very much in the minority.

Thanks for your detailed reply

Have you ever looked at any course rankings before? TOC features in just about every UK and world ranking that I've ever seen so your opinion is very much in the minority.
    everyone is entitled to there opinion.. like yours of Muirfield flat a featureless i think you called it and at the time that was 1or 2 in the rankings
    http://www.nairngolfclub.co.uk/

The Nairn Golf Club, Club Champion (handicap) 2017

Quote Originally Posted by patricks148 View Post
    everyone is entitled to there opinion.. like yours of Muirfield flat a featureless i think you called it and at the time that was 1or 2 in the rankings
    If you are going to quote, get it right. I said it's flat but still a great course. Just not best in GB&I in my opinion.

If you are going to quote, get it right. I said it's flat but still a great course. Just not best in GB&I in my opinion.
    I didn't quote you i said "i think you called it"

But thats your opinion, again i would say you would be more in the minority Than Cabby TBH.

i now a few who think TOC isn't even the best course at St Andrews (FYI i quite like it), but i don't know any who share your opinion on Muirfield

I have heard mixed reviews on the course itself, but its an iconic place and somewhere i wish to play. Same as the West course, its fashionable on here to rip in to it, but its still on many a persons wish list due to its place in british golf.
    COYS

Quote Originally Posted by paddyk View Post
    I have heard mixed reviews on the course itself, but its an iconic place and somewhere i wish to play. Same as the West course, its fashionable on here to rip in to it, but its still on many a persons wish list due to its place in british golf.
    I thinks its great TBH, only holes i think are a bit bland are the 1st and 18th and they are the ones most rave about. No where else like it, big double greens, cross overs on other holes and loads of hidden bunkers off the tee.. would go as many times as i could TBH