Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Tour Rookie

Re: Single golfer St. Andrews: April 9-12

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaroid View Post
    All a matter of luck and timing. Stay away from tournaments and big events and general opinion is 2 or 3 attempts.
    Thanks Jim for the reply, that's a lot better than I thought(I was thinking 1 in 10 or more!!).

Think I will give it a go and see. If your available would you be interest in making up the fourth person with me/Adam/Joanne, promise not to drag you down to my level again(if you are will send you a PM nearer the time to see if you are available, not sure on timing yet, would need to speak to the boss) ?

Blackballed

Quote Originally Posted by patricks148 View Post
    I thinks its great TBH, only holes i think are a bit bland are the 1st and 18th and they are the ones most rave about. No where else like it, big double greens, cross overs on other holes and loads of hidden bunkers off the tee.. would go as many times as i could TBH
    Yeah I hope to play a couple of the Open Links venues this year, plus might try and get Woburn in too, possibly 1 more top course too

Blackballed

Quote Originally Posted by drive4show View Post
    Thanks for your detailed reply

Have you ever looked at any course rankings before? TOC features in just about every UK and world ranking that I've ever seen so your opinion is very much in the minority.
    It's no even the 4th best course in St Andrews I bet if you got 100 local members at least 80% would say the New is a better course remind us where the New is in that list

Blackballed

Quote Originally Posted by paddyk View Post
    I have heard mixed reviews on the course itself, but its an iconic place and somewhere i wish to play. Same as the West course, its fashionable on here to rip in to it, but its still on many a persons wish list due to its place in british golf.
    It is iconic, it has a million years of history, of course it's iconic, there is something magical about it, just the aura of it but if that course was any other place in the UK, it wouldn't make the top 300 nevermind top 4, but it is definitely a must play, but take away history and it's a bit bland.

I thinks its great TBH, only holes i think are a bit bland are the 1st and 18th and they are the ones most rave about. No where else like it, big double greens, cross overs on other holes and loads of hidden bunkers off the tee.. would go as many times as i could TBH
    Don't get me wrong, I liked playing it, mainly because it was easier than the New or the jube.

Blackballed

Quote Originally Posted by Cabby View Post
    It is iconic, it has a million years of history, of course it's iconic, there is something magical about it, just the aura of it but if that course was any other place in the UK, it wouldn't make the top 300 nevermind top 4, but it is definitely a must play, but take away history and it's a bit bland.

Don't get me wrong, I liked playing it, mainly because it was easier than the New or the jube.
    Isn't that just links golf ; )

Blackballed

Quote Originally Posted by paddyk View Post
    Isn't that just links golf ; )

Ye quite possibly. The point I'm trying to make is, TOC isn't all that in isolation as a course, take in to consideration of the history etc walking up 18, playing where it all started, where all the greats have won, then yes, it is all that.

I was lucky enough to be stationed at RAF Leuchars near St Andrews for 6 years so had me a Links ticket and I never got fed up with playing the old course, I love it. For what my opinion is worth compared to the people that actually live round there, if I was going up there golfing for a few days and couldn't justify an unlimited budget to play on the big courses I would probably look at playing:

St Andrews Jubilee
    The Old COurse
    Lundin Links
    Ladybank
    Scotscraig

I love the jubilee at St Andrews, always found it a great test and you had to have plenty of good imagination.
    Taylormade 2017 M1 9.5* (set to 8.5) Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff shaft.............Taylormade R15 TP 3 wood Speeder 757 Tour Spec Stiff shaft.............Mizuno MP18-MMC Fli Hi 19* KBS C-Taper lite Stiff............Mizuno MP15 4-PW Stiff KBS C-taper Tour 120...............MP-T4 50* & 58* TTDG Wedge Flex..............Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2 Notchback..................Handicap index 3.2............Member @ http://stoneycreekgolf.com

Got to agree with you there. Apart from crossing the bridge the 18th to me is a really bland way to finish the round. All you have to do is aim at the clubhouse and let it rip, it would take a really horrific swing to not be in play with a short shot to the green.
    Taylormade 2017 M1 9.5* (set to 8.5) Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff shaft.............Taylormade R15 TP 3 wood Speeder 757 Tour Spec Stiff shaft.............Mizuno MP18-MMC Fli Hi 19* KBS C-Taper lite Stiff............Mizuno MP15 4-PW Stiff KBS C-taper Tour 120...............MP-T4 50* & 58* TTDG Wedge Flex..............Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2 Notchback..................Handicap index 3.2............Member @ http://stoneycreekgolf.com

Quote Originally Posted by MadAdey View Post
    Got to agree with you there. Apart from crossing the bridge the 18th to me is a really bland way to finish the round. All you have to do is aim at the clubhouse and let it rip, it would take a really horrific swing to not be in play with a short shot to the green.
    We played it in May a few years back in a complete hooley, we had been sitting in the Rusacks Hotel in the morning watching and wondering why few if any drives were going over Granny Clarks Wynd. We found our answer in the afternoon, it took me a drive and a 3 wood to get to the green in the cold with the light fading, however I sunk a lucky 6 footer for par
    Driver - Titleist 915
    Hybrid - Titleist H2
    3 wood - Titleist 915
    Irons currently - Titleist 718 AP1's (courtesy of GM and Titleist)
    Scotty squareback

Blackballed

Out playing today and I asked my PP's who are the same guys that I played with back in the day which course they liked better, both said the New, both said the Old had mystique but unquestionably the New was a better course, but hey what do they know,they also only played there for ten years .

Found out yesterday I'm eligible to play in the Caledonian League friendlies, which includes TOC and Carnoustie for £15 with a meal included