Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Single golfer St. Andrews: April 9-12

Very new guy here, Just joined. I'm taking a long awaited trip to the St. Andrews area April 8-13. I will be all alone. I know about the early morning line to try and get on the Old Course, but I though I might try here and see if I can find someone that would like to join forces to try the ballot. My schedule is not set except for my arrival day on the 8th, I've booked Ladybank as my first Scottish round. I'm also open to any suggestions for courses I may have missed. I'm considering Montrose, any Carnoustie, Monfieth, any Trust Courses, Fairmont, Crail, and Lundin. I plan on walking my legs off with two rounds a day when possible.

Little about me:
    30 years old
    Have owned a 1 handicap before, currently 16 (life and college got in the way)
    Located in Houston, TX
    Never played outside of US.

Thanks all!

Re: Single golfer St. Andrews: April 9-12

Quote Originally Posted by bradleykhofmann View Post
    Very new guy here, Just joined. I'm taking a long awaited trip to the St. Andrews area April 8-13. I will be all alone. I know about the early morning line to try and get on the Old Course, but I though I might try here and see if I can find someone that would like to join forces to try the ballot. My schedule is not set except for my arrival day on the 8th, I've booked Ladybank as my first Scottish round. I'm also open to any suggestions for courses I may have missed. I'm considering Montrose, any Carnoustie, Monfieth, any Trust Courses, Fairmont, Crail, and Lundin. I plan on walking my legs off with two rounds a day when possible.

Little about me:
    30 years old
    Have owned a 1 handicap before, currently 16 (life and college got in the way)
    Located in Houston, TX
    Never played outside of US.

Thanks all!
    wouldn't be able to join you alas away already, but i would make the most of Links course while you are here est the others at St Andrew.
    New
    Jubilee
    and make sure you do Carnoustie as well and if time, Montrose, Monifeith, Panmure. I wouldn't bother with Crail or Fairmont thats for sure
    http://www.nairngolfclub.co.uk/

The Nairn Golf Club, Club Champion (handicap) 2017

Thank you patricks148. I'll stray away from Crail and Fairmont. It's much a appreciated to have more local knowledge.

Challenge Tour Pro

You'll enjoy Ladybank, great track. Jimaroid may be able for a game and depending what course I can possibly join you but won't be paying top dollar to play some of these courses. Carnoustie is one you need to try before ones like the jube or Montrose etc again I can possibly join you there but I'm personally not willing to pay full price as a mate of mine can get me on cheap.

You're most welcome to have a game round my track if you wish, has twice been an open final qualifier, Downfield.

Challenge Tour Pro

BTW Crail is ok but I wouldn't choose it ahead of Carnoustie or the New etc. I have my own opinions about the Old that few on here agree with so will say no more about that.

They don't look like good dates for me otherwise would have been happy to pair up for the ballot. I'll keep an eye on the thread though and might be able to help out nearer to April. Just can't commit right now.
    I like putting. (2017 handicap: 11.2...10.0)

Thanks Cabby, I'm staying in Dundee on the River and Downfield was a possibility. I'll keep it in mind.

Thank you too Jimaroid. I know its fairly early but though I'd get a jump on the asking. I think you enter two days before hand? I'll be keeping an eye out here even while over there the first couple days.
    If no ballot luck I'll try the early morning line on Thursday the 12th, its got the least amount of "busy" time of the days I'm there.

Challenge Tour Pro

Whereabouts in Dundee "on the river" ? I'm guessing this is a university type trip ?

No University trip. The wife gave me the ok to take the trip, so long as she gets to do a trip of her own in the future. Just a 30 year old golf enthusiast taking a week off from the corporate world. I'm staying in the Premier Inn right on the river. I booked based off the old style and reviews only to find out it is now basically a brand new modern hotel. I thought I got a deal to begin with.

Challenge Tour Pro

Ye there has been about 4 or 5 hotels opened up in the past couple of years on the back of the V&A, you're right next door to Captain Scott's ship the Discovery with the V&A right next to the ship. My city, love it, wouldn't leave it for all the money in the world.