Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Re: Single golfer St. Andrews: April 9-12

sorry to rub it in guys but i'll play our annual match against Carnoustie for the princely sum of £15 which includes a meal in the hotel afterwards
    www.scotscraiggolfclub.com

Hcp :- Embarrassing

Challenge Tour Pro

Quote Originally Posted by stevek1969 View Post
    sorry to rub it in guys but i'll play our annual match against Carnoustie for the princely sum of £15 which includes a meal in the hotel afterwards

When I was a member of the new Club in St Andrews I played it for free and meal included in matches between us, them and Leven, can't remember what the trophy was now though

Tour Winner

Have played The Old, The New, The Eden, The Dukes and Lundin, and enjoyed them all, but then I just enjoy playing golf and don't always analyze the course I'm playing. We got battered by the weather on the Old, had everything from calm and sunny to 25mph wind, minus degrees and hail like nails. Get a caddy, they were really good lads, and invaluable. We thoroughly enjoyed our day there. The New was also a good crack, different year, the weather was better (warmer), unfortunately the golf wasn't :-). The Dukes was probably the hardest, at least from memory, I remember a lot of bunkers, and struggling round the course in general - was a lot worse golfer back then. The Eden was probably the softest of the courses from my experience, but we still enjoyed playing round it.

We also played Lundin, which we really enjoyed. Very friendly welcome in the clubhouse, the food was excellent, and the blackpudding was awesome.

Whichever courses you play, you'll have a great trip, enjoy it.

I'm watching this thread with interest, my wife is treating me to the Old Course in August for my 40th. She isn't a golfer so I don't want to spend the whole time up there golfing, I'll probably try TOC as a single walk-on but tell me please if you know, at what time would you realise you're not getting on?

At that point would it be possible to play one of the other courses (obviously having not booked)? And does it matter that you were bumped the day before or is it first-come first-served every day? Thanks in advance for the info and hope I'm not hijacking a thread here, reckon this is useful for the OP too.
    1W, 3W, 3h Titleist 915
    4i Titleist 716 TM-B
    5i - PW Mizuno MP54
    51, 55* Vokey SM2
    Odyssey RX7
    H/c 10

Quote Originally Posted by Curls View Post
    I'm watching this thread with interest, my wife is treating me to the Old Course in August for my 40th. She isn't a golfer so I don't want to spend the whole time up there golfing, I'll probably try TOC as a single walk-on but tell me please if you know, at what time would you realise you're not getting on?

At that point would it be possible to play one of the other courses (obviously having not booked)? And does it matter that you were bumped the day before or is it first-come first-served every day? Thanks in advance for the info and hope I'm not hijacking a thread here, reckon this is useful for the OP too.
    not sure about what time you have to que up for the old course, but the others within reason you can just turn up, unless its particularly busy... which it might be in Aug with the open only over the water
    http://www.nairngolfclub.co.uk/

The Nairn Golf Club, Club Champion (handicap) 2017

Quote Originally Posted by bradleykhofmann View Post
    Very new guy here, Just joined. I'm taking a long awaited trip to the St. Andrews area April 8-13. I will be all alone. I know about the early morning line to try and get on the Old Course, but I though I might try here and see if I can find someone that would like to join forces to try the ballot. My schedule is not set except for my arrival day on the 8th, I've booked Ladybank as my first Scottish round. I'm also open to any suggestions for courses I may have missed. I'm considering Montrose, any Carnoustie, Monfieth, any Trust Courses, Fairmont, Crail, and Lundin. I plan on walking my legs off with two rounds a day when possible.

Little about me:
    30 years old
    Have owned a 1 handicap before, currently 16 (life and college got in the way)
    Located in Houston, TX
    Never played outside of US.

Thanks all!
    I'd be up for entering the ballot with you if no one esle has so far?, I live a fair bit away but would happily make the drive up.
    COYS

Quote Originally Posted by Cabby View Post
    but other than 1/17 and 18 it is featureless but as stated earlier, it's a must play regardless.
    Yeah, it's rated 4th best course in GB&I on the strength of 3 holes alone

TOC is a design classic!

Curls, I'm guessing it will be very busy then too. Research has led me to reviews of people saying they lined up at 3am and were 3rd in line in the summer and just walking up in the winter. Basically you'll want to arrive early as a single in the high season and August is apparently. It is first in line gets 1st open spot and so on. The tee sheets are posted 2 days ahead after the ballot and that can give you an idea of how many openings there are. The groups with less than 4 will be asked if someone can join. They can decline but wisdom shows that is rare. Also there are no shows in less favorable weather.

paddyk, I'll return to ask for ballot buddies closer to the trip. If I can get some, I would like to enter over a couple of days. I'll still stand in line if no dice.

Im playing Royal portrush a few days before so The old Course will be a nice addition
    COYS

Tour Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by paddyk View Post
    Im playing Royal portrush a few days before so The old Course will be a nice addition
    That's a nice little trip.

Interesting thread, considering the ballot myself as a chance to get to play the old course. Does anyone know what kind of chance you have of getting a place ?