Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: Single golfer St. Andrews: April 9-12

CliveW, I wanted to ensure the best chance of not playing on Mats and temporary greens. Most courses also have "shoulder" rates shown for April.

This brings up something else, will everything be very busy at this time? I've read June, July are packed times. It seemed like a good mix of season and lower attendance from previous research.

Journeyman Pro

TOC is always busy regardless of time of year, also it's closed on Sundays, you've opted out of Carnoustie anyway, so anywhere else should be fine. Personally, again, if I were you, I'd dump any off the list to include Carnoustie, it's the Open venue this year man,other that TOC obviously.

Mats might be a consideration on some courses but most links courses don't use winter greens.

You've all got me re-considering Carnoustie a bit. It's the £200 (271 USD) that was making me shy away. Unless someone on here can get me in for less? Perhaps re-look at my budget haha.
    TOC is £123 (167 USD).
    I've always known TOC would be somewhat packed regardless.

Journeyman Pro

£200 ? holy sheet !! I'd be considering dropping that as well now that is a lot of cash given TOC is cheaper and has it's history.

A mate of mine is a member but I can hardly tie him down for a game for me much never mind a specific date in April. The only other thing I can suggest is emailing one of the local Carnoustie clubs and telling them you're a lone traveller and is there any possibility of joining up with some members etc...worth a shot ??

First two weeks in April are the shoulder season in St Andrews, bit cheaper and happens to be one of the best times of year to play IMO as the courses haven't long come off mats, the gorse is out in flower and with the low spring sunlight the undulations have great definition. You've picked a good time for it.

If staying in Dundee, Blairgowrie is also worth considering for the list.

If money is tight I'd forsake some of the smaller courses and put the money into Carnoustie.
    I like putting. (2018 handicap: 10.0 ... 10.1, 10.2)

Quote Originally Posted by Cabby View Post
    £200 ? holy sheet !!
    My thoughts when I looked that up. Adding a premium for hosting the Open this year. I can play all Links Trust courses (-TOC) for that.

Journeyman Pro

Quote Originally Posted by bradleykhofmann View Post
    My thoughts when I looked that up. Adding a premium for hosting the Open this year. I can play all Links Trust courses (-TOC) for that.
    Nobody down the pub back home will be interested in how Montrose medal or Panmuir was though. It's your money, but if things were reversed and I was out in Georgia and had a chance to play Augusta at say £200 or 4 other courses for the same money, it would be Augusta for me, Carnoustie is a beast off the back pegs but an enjoyable one.

You'll play TOC and wonder what all the big deal was about, granted, I don't believe there is a feeling in golf anywhere like walking up the 18th on the Old, it is magical but other than 1/17 and 18 it is featureless but as stated earlier, it's a must play regardless.

TOC is just to say "I played TOC". If I never play it again, I'm fine with that.

Journeyman Pro

Indeed, it's a must play.