Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: Single golfer St. Andrews: April 9-12

Dundee does indeed look lovely. I was originally going to stay right in St. Andrews but the price difference and more centrally located to courses was great selling point to me. Less driving is better, never driven in the UK so that will be interesting. I booked Ladybank on my arrival day partly to give me a break on the drive up from Edinburgh.

Try Scotscraig as well less than 10 mins drive from your hotel , Dundee is great place to stay just now plenty going on
    www.scotscraiggolfclub.com

Hcp :- Embarrassing

Blackballed

If it's a box ticking trip I'd go, Old, Carnoustie, Gleneagles, Kingsbarns and Ladybank that you have. You're right about being central here in Dundee, within a 30 mile radius we have dozens and dozens of good courses. If you need any questions answered I'll give you my honest answers on the courses I've played.

Thanks Cabby.
    I'm trying to combine must do with Value. So for instance I'm trying for the Old Course and skipping Carnoustie Championship. I am however open to Buddon and Burnside. That's my mentality.

My current list includes:
    Montrose Medal
    Monifieth Medal
    Panmure
    Old Course
    Any other trust course (No Castle or Balgrove)
    Lundin
    Levin
    Elie
    Scotscraig

Anybody's honesty on these are appreciated. Obviously some whittling down to do for 4-5 days.
    I will definitely try to be back in the future and play others. Hoping this is not my only opportunity.

I basically have 7 spots open for consideration. Ladybank is only one booked and paid

Blackballed

Burnside over the Buddon every time, not a patch on the medal at Carnoustie though. Monifieth over Montrose I'd say. Never played pannie so can't comment. Scotscraig over Elie and Lundin over Levin but others may disagree....and the Old will be the most boring out of the lot.

Quote Originally Posted by bradleykhofmann View Post
    Thanks Cabby.
    I'm trying to combine must do with Value. So for instance I'm trying for the Old Course and skipping Carnoustie Championship. I am however open to Buddon and Burnside. That's my mentality.

Montrose Medal
    Monifieth Medal
    Panmure
    Old Course
    Lundin
    Levin
    Elie
    Scotscraig

Anybody's honesty on these are appreciated. Obviously some whittling down to do for 4-5 days.
    I will definitely try to be back in the future and play others. Hoping this is not my only opportunity.

I basically have 7 spots open for consideration. Ladybank is only one booked and paid
    I think the New and the Jubliee are as good as the Old course in terms of course, TOC is special and a must play for any golfer, even though its prob not the best layout.

I imagine you will want to play traditional Scottish links courses rather than american interpretation of one (Kingsbarns)

your list looks spot on TBH, its a long way not to play Carnoustie though
    http://www.nairngolfclub.co.uk/

The Nairn Golf Club, Club Champion (handicap) 2017

Blackballed

When we were members over there the New was our course of choice, always found the jube brutal. The Eden was ace before they butchered it for the academy. I absolutely agree 100% what you say about missing out Carnoustie, if it was only two courses to play it would be Carnoustie and TOC.

Quote Originally Posted by Cabby View Post
    When we were members over there the New was our course of choice, always found the jube brutal. The Eden was ace before they butchered it for the academy. I absolutely agree 100% what you say about missing out Carnoustie, if it was only two courses to play it would be Carnoustie and TOC.
    played the Jubilee 3 times, twice it was very windy and was pretty brutal and once with little or no wind and it was very scoreable

first time the first was driver and 3 wood to get to the green, last time hybrid and SW
    http://www.nairngolfclub.co.uk/

The Nairn Golf Club, Club Champion (handicap) 2017

Quote Originally Posted by bradleykhofmann View Post
    Thanks Cabby.

Montrose Medal
    Monifieth Medal
    Panmure
    Old Course
    Lundin
    Levin
    Elie
    Scotscraig

From that list I'd drop Leven, not that it is bad at all but in Fife you have the luxury of choosing between great courses.
    North Berwick Golf Club - 2018 Handicap 9.6 ⇡ 9.7 ⇣ 9.5

I agree with much that has been said. My only comment would be that if your dates were a fortnight earlier, the visitor's rates would be much cheaper as 1st April is the start of summer season.