Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: Mizuno Golf Pairs

Quote Originally Posted by hovis View Post
    in other words you got spanked by the course and couldn't play to your cat 1 handicap that you mention at every possible opportunity. the brab might dull iyo but it generates a damn sight more revenue than Woodhall. Which is a fantastic course btw but never a top ten
    I wouldnít disagree that the Brab takes more in revenue than we do.

Thatís never been the point to cram as many on.

As for Woodhall not been a top 10, come back next year and have another look, the changes over the last 18 months have been outstanding.

I appreciate everyone has a view.
    10 hcp and rising.

Grand Slam Winner Liverpoolphil's Avatar

in other words you got spanked by the course and couldn't play to your cat 1 handicap that you mention at every possible opportunity. the brab might dull iyo but it generates a damn sight more revenue than Woodhall. Which is a fantastic course btw but never a top ten
    I donít judge courses on what scores I make on them they have zero significance to how good a course is and revenue has nothing to do with the quality of the course - the revenue for the Belfry come from them ramming as many 2 round 1 night golf break deals from YGT or Golf Breaks as they can possible do throughout the year - hence why the rounds take so long as itís wall to wall golf groups. Places like Woodhall donít feel the need to do that and as a golf course itís ten times tougher than the brabazon

Not sure what my cat of Handicap has to do with anything

Tour Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Lincoln Quaker View Post
    I wouldnít disagree that the Brab takes more in revenue than we do.

Thatís never been the point to cram as many on.

As for Woodhall not been a top 10, come back next year and have another look, the changes over the last 18 months have been outstanding.

I appreciate everyone has a view.
    dont get me wrong i love the course and would be happy to play it again and again. the practice facilities are also the best I've experienced in this country. call me skeptical but i think the fact golf England are there might have an influence on its ranking

Tour Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Liverpoolphil View Post
    I donít judge courses on what scores I make on them they have zero significance to how good a course is and revenue has nothing to do with the quality of the course - the revenue for the Belfry come from them ramming as many 2 round 1 night golf break deals from YGT or Golf Breaks as they can possible do throughout the year - hence why the rounds take so long as itís wall to wall golf groups. Places like Woodhall donít feel the need to do that and as a golf course itís ten times tougher than the brabazon

Not sure what my cat of Handicap has to do with anything
    the revenue a course makes has nothing to do with the quality?? 😁 the repeat customers that pay through the nose to play it must be really stupid then. would you spend £60 on a big mac

Quote Originally Posted by Lincoln Quaker View Post
    Trump have an open on and itís £100 per person, no practice round included.

The ones i run run at Woodhall are roughly £45-£50 per person depending if itís pairs or team.

The winter ones are cheaper.

The Mizuno one is more expensive but I donít give away goodie bags or a new set of irons as 1st prize
    It was a while ago a couple of my mates played the open it was around £50 and there was a practice round. Full and balloted. they both complained it was off the very front tee's that took all the trouble out of play.

I'd imagine a few of the usual suspects from the TT, AG pairs ect would be playing in this. as for goody bags. admittedly it was free, but at trump we got a pouch with 3 tee's and a pencil, bag tag was £20 FYI i don't have a trump bag tag

dont get me wrong i love the course and would be happy to play it again and again. the practice facilities are also the best I've experienced in this country. call me skeptical but i think the fact golf England are there might have an influence on its ranking
    Before England Golf took over it was higher in the rankings, thatís the reason they bought it.

it has dropped a lot over the years all down to new courses that have opened and other courses that have just got better through course improvements.

Thats why Tom Doak was hired to get it back and sure enough last year it climbed back up the world rankings with only 6 holes been remodelled, this year has seen another 6 and itís just getting better.

I would suspect its itís only going to climb more, I personally donít think itís anything to do with it been the home of England Golf, itís just a bloody hard golf course.
    10 hcp and rising.

Quote Originally Posted by Papas1982 View Post
    I did somewhat counter it by saying I played better at RSG. Hence thinking it was easier...... Also the experience at Celtic Manor was probably the best Iíve experienced in regards the staff. RSG was a quality day, but for me just a little too old school/less modern.

I fully accept that RSG and Sunningdale are held in higher esteem, both were joys to play and Iíll happily play them again (and again) if the opportunity arises.

All that being said, when we went the 2010 was in great nick and I much prefer water hazards which will always be in play, than penal rough which can be somewhat irrelevant if youíre having a good day off the tee.
    You did counter it, thatís right. The bar staff at RSG were top notch also, Chris D had his eye on one young filly....age is all relative
    Iíd stay at Celtic manor again, I enjoyed the Monty. I do reckon they over play the Ryder cup angle, youíd milk it but I donít need to use the same cubicle as tiger woods etc etc

Quote Originally Posted by therod View Post
    You did counter it, thatís right. The bar staff at RSG were top notch also, Chris D had his eye on one young filly....age is all relative
    Iíd stay at Celtic manor again, I enjoyed the Monty. I do reckon they over play the Ryder cup angle, youíd milk it but I donít need to use the same cubicle as tiger woods etc etc
    My bro loved the changing rooms. He actually tweeted Luke Donald about having old crisp packets in his. Got a repsonse (making Westwood) and a signed glove as an apology (joking of course).

we didnít actually stay onsite but had the meals with the rates and just thought it was a good trip all in. That being said, for me the golf courses are almost secondary itís more about the time I have on them. And that was just a cracking trip
    My own H4H. Challenge. Get to 16 or pop £20in the pot.

Grand Slam Winner Liverpoolphil's Avatar

the revenue a course makes has nothing to do with the quality?? 😁 the repeat customers that pay through the nose to play it must be really stupid then. would you spend £60 on a big mac
    There is plenty of golf courses/clubs around the Uk that will make a lot of revenue but that doesnít automatically mean itís a quality course
    You appeared to suggest that because the Belfry makes more money than Woodhall then itís something that makes them comparable - the Belfry makes money due to it holding the RC a number of times and Seve taking the tenth on - itís a decent Parkland course that wouldnít be in the Top 200 without the RC history - people go there to have a laugh get drunk with mates and itís rammed from dawn to dusk to make sure the Money keeps coming in

. Woodhall ( Hotchkin) stands alone as a course in its own right without the need of any RC history and itís far outstrips the Brabazon with the revenue of each club irrelevant and certainly not comparable when judging each course. People go there to play one of the best courses in the World not just the UK - only two inland courses I have played that are better - Sunningdale Old and New , canít wait to go back and see how much itís improved since the changes that I have seen on Facebook. I would prefer to play the Bracken than the Brabazon - certainly a more enjoyable round.

call me skeptical but i think the fact golf England are there might have an influence on its ranking
    You're sceptical

No, it has absolutely nothing to do with it's ranking position (in the GM rankings anyway)