Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Q-School Graduate

Re: Following on from ‘how much should a visitor pay’ thread .

For me money is about creating experiences and memories, not owning "things". So yes, I have paid to play St Andrews, stayed and played at Turnberry. And the memories of the hairs on the back of the neck being raised when you address the ball on the first tee of the Old Course then birdie it, of being first out at Turnberry and feeling as though you had such a place to yourself are priceless and therefore well worth the expense. Looking forward to Birkdale and Lytham this Autumn - yes they are expensive, but the few days away with great mates doing what I love in such historic places will create experiences and memories that are well worth the money that I have worked hard for.
    Handicap 11.1
    Dudsbury GC
    Ping supporter!

The only shot I can influence is the next one...

Journeyman Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Orikoru View Post
    As best as I can recall, I think the most I ever spent on a round of golf was £26. Richings Park on my birthday last year.

For a nice course I'd pay up to 30, for a really nice one, maybe 40. I can't picture myself ever paying 50 quid for a round.
    Out of interest, what do you consider to be the nicest course you have played?
    Handicap: 12

I'll be paying just over 200 notes to play Birkdale in July and that will be the most I've ever paid. I've played a fair few between 100 and 150 but also played some top courses (Swinley and Sunningdale) very cheaply.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old.....We grow old because we stop playing.

Quote Originally Posted by Canary_Yellow View Post
    Out of interest, what do you consider to be the nicest course you have played?
    I don't know really. I haven't played any real top notch courses (obviously, given my parameters of how much I'll pay) so I only have two categories - courses I like and courses I don't! Haha. So I haven't really ranked them. Richings Park, Pinner Hill and Aldenham are all quite nice courses I played last year. Shendish Manor was also nice, did a weekend there for my 'family stag do'.
    • TaylorMade R11-S (12°)
    • Adams Speedline Fast 12 5 wood (17°)
    • Callaway Big Bertha 3 iron
    • Callaway Steelhead XR irons 5-PW
    • Cleveland RTX-3 (50°)
    • Cleveland RTX Rotex 2.0 (56°)
    • Dunlop Wedge (60°)
    • Odyssey Works 1W putter
    • Bridgestone e6 Soft
    H'cap J F M A M J J A S O N D Review
    2017: 24.0 24.2 24.4 22.8 22.9 22.9 21.9
    2018: 22.0 21.2 21.6 19.8

Journeyman Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Orikoru View Post
    I don't know really. I haven't played any real top notch courses (obviously, given my parameters of how much I'll pay) so I only have two categories - courses I like and courses I don't! Haha. So I haven't really ranked them. Richings Park, Pinner Hill and Aldenham are all quite nice courses I played last year. Shendish Manor was also nice, did a weekend there for my 'family stag do'.
    I've made a list of all the courses I want to play in my local area that I haven't yet played, and have then worked out the cheapest way of doing so.

Actually, when it comes down to it, if you can be a bit patient with when you play, affordable golf is available at a lot of clubs that might otherwise be £50 or more at the weekend (if indeed visitors are allowed at the weekend at all).

I really enjoy playing different courses, in particular because I'm now in the same position as you being a member of a club attached to a muni and paying a green fee every time I play. So other than playing comps or if I particularly want to play early on a Saturday / Sunday, I tend to play elsewhere on of peak rates at courses I've always wanted to play. This is the main benefit I think of not being committed to a club upfront with a £1,000 (plus or minus) membership.

As to the most I've paid for a round, it's probably not that much actually, £40 I think, for Tandridge on a twilight deal. Bargain.
    Handicap: 12

Quote Originally Posted by Canfordhacker View Post
    For me money is about creating experiences and memories, not owning "things". So yes, I have paid to play St Andrews, stayed and played at Turnberry. And the memories of the hairs on the back of the neck being raised when you address the ball on the first tee of the Old Course then birdie it, of being first out at Turnberry and feeling as though you had such a place to yourself are priceless and therefore well worth the expense. Looking forward to Birkdale and Lytham this Autumn - yes they are expensive, but the few days away with great mates doing what I love in such historic places will create experiences and memories that are well worth the money that I have worked hard for.
    Could not disagree with anything of this post.

Quote Originally Posted by Canary_Yellow View Post
    I've made a list of all the courses I want to play in my local area that I haven't yet played, and have then worked out the cheapest way of doing so.

Actually, when it comes down to it, if you can be a bit patient with when you play, affordable golf is available at a lot of clubs that might otherwise be £50 or more at the weekend (if indeed visitors are allowed at the weekend at all).

I really enjoy playing different courses, in particular because I'm now in the same position as you being a member of a club attached to a muni and paying a green fee every time I play. So other than playing comps or if I particularly want to play early on a Saturday / Sunday, I tend to play elsewhere on of peak rates at courses I've always wanted to play. This is the main benefit I think of not being committed to a club upfront with a £1,000 (plus or minus) membership.

As to the most I've paid for a round, it's probably not that much actually, £40 I think, for Tandridge on a twilight deal. Bargain.
    Yeah, me and my pals do similar. Without feeling tied to play our course every week to get your money's worth, we're free to play elsewhere twice or three times in the month. We have a handful of other local courses that we often play, then every now and then we'll branch out to a new one, often getting a cheap deal through Tee Off Times or simply playing after a certain time on Sunday afternoon when they often have cheaper rates.
    • TaylorMade R11-S (12°)
    • Adams Speedline Fast 12 5 wood (17°)
    • Callaway Big Bertha 3 iron
    • Callaway Steelhead XR irons 5-PW
    • Cleveland RTX-3 (50°)
    • Cleveland RTX Rotex 2.0 (56°)
    • Dunlop Wedge (60°)
    • Odyssey Works 1W putter
    • Bridgestone e6 Soft
    H'cap J F M A M J J A S O N D Review
    2017: 24.0 24.2 24.4 22.8 22.9 22.9 21.9
    2018: 22.0 21.2 21.6 19.8

Challenge Tour Pro

Excellent post. Personally never paid more than £20/25 . I may be prepared to pay into the hundreds if the right opportunity came up....but my I would struggle paying such amounts for one round

Assistant Pro

Couldnt have said it better myself .

Journeyman Pro

The most I have ever paid to play is £25.

I have played lots of great courses around Somerset, Dorset, Wiltshire simply because I pay a lot of opens and we have matches against courses like Burnham and Berrow, Ferndown, Parkstone and Broadstone.

At the end of the day it just a game of golf I have a lot of other things I would rather spend my money on.
    Handicap 9 (was 6, now showing my age)An absolute miss mash of clubs