Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Money List Winner

Re: Following on from ‘how much should a visitor pay’ thread .

£175 to play The Old Course, it had to be done, apart from that nowhere near £100 to play anywhere.
    WS DXi Superlight Driver
    WS Fybrid RS 17°
    WS Fybrid RS 23°
    WS Fybrid RS 26°
    Orka GS5 CTi irons 5-SW
    Titliest Vokey 52/8, 56/8
    Odyssey Works 2ball Fang

Handicap 2012 34>19.4, 2013>15.4, 2014>11.9, 2015>10.0, 2016<11.6, 2017>10.8

My golf blog http://louisesgolfblog.blogspot.co.uk/

http://www.ellesmeregolfclub.co.uk/index.php

Q-School Graduate

£110 to play Formby August just gone. Worth every penny.

I'd pay up to a grand to play Augusta...easy to say when you know you'll never get the chance
    In the bag...

Ping G Driver 12 degree
    Ping G 3 wood
    Ping G 3 and 4 hybrids
    Ping G series irons 5-9
    Ping G series wedges 50 and 60 degree
    Ping Anser putter

Handicap: 23, 23.1, 23.2, 22.1, 19.3, 19.4, 19.5, 19.6, 19.7, 19.8,19.9, 20

Handicap challenge:

Vs Phil
    Vs Khamilion

Halesowen golf club
    West Midlands

Journeyman Pro

We paid $199 to play Sawgrass it was awesome and you must do it if you have the chance.
    The history alone when you remember all the shots you watched on telly.
    The thing that struck me is how well they welcome you , they want you to be there which is more than I can say of some of the top UK courses they tolerate you.

I think to date, the most I have paid is 35 euro and that was for Slieve Russell in Ireland which is a top 100 Irish course. I am playing Portmarnock hotel links on Saturday which is 50 euro so that will top it! And that is for a UK top 100 course, albeit it is number 92 but still a bargain I think
    H/C: 14.5 Clandeboye Golf Club, Bangor, Northern Ireland. Driver: 2016 M1- Project X Hzrdus black 6.0 . 3 wood: TM M2 HL 3 Iron: Srixon ZU45 Hybrids:TM RBZ Stage2 4. Irons: Ping I 5-PW. Wedges: SM6- 50, 56, 60. Putter: Odyssey 2-ball Fang Tank

Quote Originally Posted by louise_a View Post
    £175 to play The Old Course, it had to be done, apart from that nowhere near £100 to play anywhere.
    The Old Course I'd make an exception and pay the fee, I mean it's the home of golf innit. The other "top" links courses such as Troon, Birkdale etc, not bothered about one bit.
    2016 handicap 15.16.15.14.15.14.132017 handicap 13.12.13.12 https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/martyn-vaughan3

Quote Originally Posted by inc0gnito View Post
    i Get where you’re coming from, though I don’t think we should take into consideration other things like accommodation etc because they are hugely variable and person specific.

Im a huge fan of Liverpool F.C. but I really would never spend £200-300 to play football at Anfield unless I was playing with Stephen Gerrard himself!

In the same vein I’d understand if one paid £300 for a package at a ‘special’ golf course. Like a round of golf, stay at the hotel, breakfast and dinner, or a guided historical tour or something. But to pay that amount of money just to play one round and no more still feels like overkill 😌
    To put it into perspective, if Liverpool got to the Champions League final in a foreign city, it would probably cost you in the region of £300 to £500 for flights, hotel, ticket, food, drink etc and that is only to watch not play. Plus you could watch it for free on TV. So paying £200 for the experience of a top course now doesn't look quite so bad

I had a 4 round package and a week at the Sawgrass Marriott for great value when I went. DO not just go and play, it will sting!

Was in St Andrews last May, paid £170 for the Old Course, that's lots, but you don't do it every day. (and I am paying twice for Mrs too!) We called in at Kingsbarns and they wanted £240, so for the first time in my life, I thought "nuts to that" we'll do that on another trip!

I was asked to do a review of the Grove, near Watford, and got reimbursed for the expenses... breakfast, lunch and 18 holes for 2 people was over £500. Great place, great service, like the course, but drove out of there thinking, £500? Really??

This conversation is relative to your income. I'm freelance, so when I am earning, I am doing fine, but at other times, I am not earning! So depends when I am asked the question....

...I am keen to play Pebble Beach, so expect to get slapped a bit..only Troon and Prestwick left on the Open Rota, so will have to go there.

Market forces eh?
    A bit Old School, Taylor Made Woods & Ping Irons! Jetspeeds and i25s
    Scotty flat stick
    Somedays they behave, others less so!
    SLDR sitting in the garage to remind the driver, "he can be replaced!"

Quote Originally Posted by IanM View Post
    I had a 4 round package and a week at the Sawgrass Marriott for great value when I went. DO not just go and play, it will sting!

Was in St Andrews last May, paid £170 for the Old Course, that's lots, but you don't do it every day. (and I am paying twice for Mrs too!) We called in at Kingsbarns and they wanted £240, so for the first time in my life, I thought "nuts to that" we'll do that on another trip!

I was asked to do a review of the Grove, near Watford, and got reimbursed for the expenses... breakfast, lunch and 18 holes for 2 people was over £500. Great place, great service, like the course, but drove out of there thinking, £500? Really??

This conversation is relative to your income. I'm freelance, so when I am earning, I am doing fine, but at other times, I am not earning! So depends when I am asked the question....

...I am keen to play Pebble Beach, so expect to get slapped a bit..only Troon and Prestwick left on the Open Rota, so will have to go there.

Market forces eh?
    Yeah this is a big thing for me unfortunately. Golf is expensive enough as it is for me. Paying 20 quid per weekend to play a round, plus the odd mid-week trip to the driving range and it's already 100 quid a month. I can't picture paying upwards of 50 for a round unless I was earning at least double what I do now! Maybe if I stopped spunking all my spare money on new sticks... nah.

I live in Watford so I would love to play the Grove but it's just crazy money. I went there once for a free Titleist Thursday driving fitting. Nice place!
    • TaylorMade R11-S (set to 12°)
    • Adams Speedline Fast 12 5 wood, 17°
    • Adams Blue 4 hybrid, 22°
    • Callaway Steelhead XR irons 5-PW
    • Cleveland RTX-3, 50°
    • Cleveland RTX Rotex 2.0, 56°
    • Odyssey Works 1W putter
    • DX2 Soft
    H'cap Jan Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Dec end yr review
    2017: 24 24.1 24.2 24.3 24.4 22.8 22.9 22.9 21.9

Assistant Pro

Played The Grove three times. Fantastic track and they look after you very well there. It's not too bad if you can get a good deal, or play it in Summer on twilight rate.
    To answer the question, think the most I paid would be about 300 Dollars for Harbourtown Golf Links a couple of years ago. Absolutely stunning place and would pay that again if I go back to South Carolina

Journeyman Pro

Quote Originally Posted by IanM View Post

Market forces eh?
    I really enjoyed Prestwick. Old fashioned course not to long very quirky.

First tee is a pressure shot you are right next to a railway platform and everyone leans on the wall to watch yo tee off.
    Its only 295yds par 4 I think but a tough hole to par.
    Cardinal bunker is biggest I have seen I had to hit 3wood to get out.
    really great course ,you will love it if you like the history of the game.