Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: Following on from ‘how much should a visitor pay’ thread .

Quote Originally Posted by Liverpoolphil View Post
    So some people would pay fortunes for US courses but not for UK courses ? May I ask why ?

Most I have paid I guess is for Birkdale and I would be happy paying whatever is needed to play any top 100 UK course - except the Belfry overpriced and overrated potato field
    Because unless you are based in the states then your window of opertunity to play these specific courses Is much much smaller.

I’d pay top whack for a big name US course over pretty much any in the UK

Mainly because I know that you can pretty much play 90% of the UK top 100 for less than a 150 if you are patient and flexible.

In the US I’d pay a monkey to get on one of the big names like pebble beach, bay hill or similar.
    Last edited by tugglesf239; 10-Jan-2018 at 22:37.

Journeyman Pro Green Bay Hacker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GMC1981 View Post
    What’s the most you’ve paid or willing to pay for a round of golf?

Paid £300 all in to play Sawgrass . If I ever find myself on the west coast of the states I’d love to play Pebble Beach which I think is near the £400 mark . Bucket list courses and wouldn’t be making a habit of it . In Britain I don’t think I could justify anything over £100 .
    Yep. $400 dollars a night to stay at the Marriott and play Sawgrass and that was about 5 years ago.
    Ping G400 driver, G400 5 wood, Cobra Amp Cell 2-3 Hybrid, Ping G20 irons 5-PW, Titleist 52, 56 and 60 Vokey wedges, Odyssey White Hot putter.

Ryder Cup Winner

Think it was £145 for Royal Lytham

Think I paid about £320 for Pinehurst #2.

£150 for Carnoustie. Awesome experience. Would not pay this to play ANYWHERE else.
    In My Bag
    Driver - Adams Superspeed 10.5 deg
    Hybrid - Adam Superspeed
    Irons - Cleveland CG16
    Putter - Yes Sandy or some other one that wrecks my score.
    Balls - Nike PD Soft. Until I've lost them all.

As best as I can recall, I think the most I ever spent on a round of golf was £26. Richings Park on my birthday last year.

For a nice course I'd pay up to 30, for a really nice one, maybe 40. I can't picture myself ever paying 50 quid for a round.
    • TaylorMade R11-S (12°)
    • Adams Speedline Fast 12 5 wood (17°)
    • Benross HTX 3 hybrid (20°)
    • Callaway Steelhead XR irons 5-PW
    • Cleveland RTX-3 (50°)
    • Cleveland RTX Rotex 2.0 (56°)
    • Odyssey Works 1W putter
    • DX2 Optix
    H'cap J F M A M J J A S O N D Review
    2017: 24 24.2 24.4 22.8 22.9 22.9 21.9
    2018: 22.0 21.2

Major Champion SwingsitlikeHogan's Avatar

Most I've paid was £150 for The Faldo@ Emirates. But only paid that as I doubt I'll be back in Dubai again in the near future - and even if I am with time to play. But I had the time (and the Mrs had just spend £700 on a diamond ring) so I treated myself.
    to infinity and beyond...

...well from 10.0 to 9.4 this year would be nice.

And last medal of the year (Oct) saw me play to handicap but CSS was +1 so that was me down 0.2 from 8.3 to 8.1

Job done

Assistant Pro

The most i've ever paid was £25, but excluding that "extravagance" then its £17 I like the twilight deals!

No wonder so many get put off golf. £100-300 for hitting a tiny ball around some grass is absolutely crazy to me. Maybe as a beginner there’s something in those courses I’m missing but it just seems ott for any sport to charge that for a few hours of playing.

Quote Originally Posted by inc0gnito View Post
    No wonder so many get put off golf. £100-300 for hitting a tiny ball around some grass is absolutely crazy to me. Maybe as a beginner there’s something in those courses I’m missing but it just seems ott for any sport to charge that for a few hours of playing.
    How much if you could rent out to play a game of football at Wembley, OLd Trafford etc, or play a game of Tennis on the centre court at Wimbledon etc....

So by the same token, to play on a course where some of the greats have played and where there is a lot of history in the sport we love, why not push the boat out and treat yourselves to a round of golf which would take much longer than any of the other examples I’ve listed.

I think my most expensive days out on a golf course have been Sunningdale, Swinley Forest and soon to Turnberry, factor in overnight stays, food, drink etc and no doubt it’s the same as some people would pay to go away on a holiday break, but it’s my hobby so I want to get the most out of it, while I can.

I’ve spent more than the cost of those courses on a day at the bridge with an overnight stay plus travel, food & drink, so which is the best value, it’s all subjective.

My 3 days coming up down on the Kent coast will cost me the equivalent of £200 per round possibly once I take travel, accommodation, food, drink and then the green fees into consideration, is that value for money against the courses being played, no, is it value for a great 3-day social event to enjoy my hobby and have some banter with like minded people, hell yes.

My annual trip to play Cooden Beach is well over £300, for 1 day of golf, on Smiffy’s goat track 😜😏🏌️