Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Money List Winner

Re: Following on from ‘how much should a visitor pay’ thread .

Quote Originally Posted by tugglesf239 View Post
    Because unless you are based in the states then your window of opertunity to play these specific courses Is much much smaller.

I’d pay top whack for a big name US course over pretty much any in the UK

Mainly because I know that you can pretty much play 90% of the UK top 100 for less than a 150 if you are patient and flexible.

In the US I’d pay a monkey to get on one of the big names like pebble beach, bay hill or similar.
    Slight humble brag but me and 3 of my mates have an offer to play BayHill with someone who has been on the PGA tour when we go over to Florida this Easter. But we are not sure if we should accept as none of us have played golf for a long time, so the chances of embarrassing ourselves in front of fellow golfers at such a prestigious place, especially a tour pro who will be out driving us by at least 80 yards, are high. But I expect we will as it nearly falls into one of those 'money can't buy' experiences.

Most I've ever paid is what I paid for the Trump Aberdeen/Carnoustie GM trip a few years ago. Not sure what it worked out as per round, it was a lot less than the advertised green fee, but that was as high as I would go. I have played The Blue Monster for free as a mate is a member of Doral and I think the standard visitors green fee was something like 450 dollars at the time. Which to be honest I thought was an absolute rip off, but as already mentioned, some people will be happy to pay that for the 'experience' which is fair enough, it's their money, it's not as if anyone is forcing them to play.
    Last edited by Hacker Khan; 12-Jan-2018 at 08:49.
    Tinkety tonk old fruit, and down with the Nazis.

Journeyman Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Twire View Post
    I'll be paying just over 200 notes to play Birkdale in July and that will be the most I've ever paid. I've played a fair few between 100 and 150 but also played some top courses (Swinley and Sunningdale) very cheaply.
    birkdale is awesome .
    The green surrounds and approaches are like billiard tables.
    The whole place is class enjoy

Quote Originally Posted by clubchamp98 View Post
    We paid $199 to play Sawgrass it was awesome and you must do it if you have the chance.
    The history alone when you remember all the shots you watched on telly.
    The thing that struck me is how well they welcome you , they want you to be there which is more than I can say of some of the top UK courses they tolerate you.
    So true with the welcome part there chub.

Tour Rookie

You can play BayHill whenever you like, you just have to be staying there, just book a night onsite and you can play it.

im looking to play sawgrass this August when I’m in Florida, should be around $450 I think, so about £350. Not cheap, but it won’t bankrupt me and I want to play there, so I can justify it.

domestically, I think Woburn is probably the most I’ve paid to date, it was about 180 for the day, but that included food and 36 holes.

ive recently paid 200 in a charity auction to play at Loch Lomond, in a 4ball with Gordon Sherry. Again, not cheap, but added value of seeing a very good player up close, and on a course that it’s otherwise fairly tough to get on, so for me it’s worth it.

Tour Winner

£170 for Prestwick.

Not going to pay that much very often, but there are some "treat" courses that I'm prepared to shell out for occasionally when on holiday.
    Handicap Challenge - 19.3 (29 May)
    The uglier a man’s legs are, the better he plays golf. HG Wells. I got nice legs...

Journeyman Pro Green Bay Hacker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hacker Khan View Post
    Slight humble brag but me and 3 of my mates have an offer to play BayHill with someone who has been on the PGA tour when we go over to Florida this Easter. But we are not sure if we should accept as none of us have played golf for a long time, so the chances of embarrassing ourselves in front of fellow golfers at such a prestigious place, especially a tour pro who will be out driving us by at least 80 yards, are high. But I expect we will as it nearly falls into one of those 'money can't buy' experiences.
    You should definitely take the opportunity to play Bayhill. How often do you get to play a PGA tour course?

I had two rounds when I stayed there and in the first one I was paired up with a guy who was going to play a round with Bubba the next day. His father owned a coal company in Pennsylvania and they were members of Arnie's home course up there. He also seemed to hit it as far as Bubba and put my game to shame but did I enjoy, hell I did.
    Ping G400 driver, G400 5 wood, G400 2 Hybrid, Ping G20 irons 5-PW, Titleist 52, 60 Vokey wedges, Callaway Sure Out 56 wedge,Odyssey White Hot putter.

You can be quite savvy and ply the top courses for a relatively cheap price.

for an example we have played the belfry (brabazon and pga) both £40 not each.in January last year. The course was dead and the weather was dry.

st Andrew’s we did winter golf deal. £185 for the old , new and castle plus included £15 meal voucher. we played in mid April no fairway mats and again weather was cracking (see my profile pic). The deal is on on now but a little bit more expensive.
    HCP: now 18 and climbing www.ashtonleagolfclub.co.uk

Assistant Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Break90 View Post
    You can play BayHill whenever you like, you just have to be staying there, just book a night onsite and you can play it.

im looking to play sawgrass this August when I’m in Florida, should be around $450 I think, so about £350. Not cheap, but it won’t bankrupt me and I want to play there, so I can justify it.

domestically, I think Woburn is probably the most I’ve paid to date, it was about 180 for the day, but that included food and 36 holes.

ive recently paid 200 in a charity auction to play at Loch Lomond, in a 4ball with Gordon Sherry. Again, not cheap, but added value of seeing a very good player up close, and on a course that it’s otherwise fairly tough to get on, so for me it’s worth it.
    For that price I’m assuming you’re also taking the overnight stay at the Marriott ?.

Im also assuming you’re based in Orlando and driving up ?

We did the golf only which I regret because you drive through the World golf village to get to Sawgrass and it contains the PGA world golf hall of fame . It’s only about 20 mins from Sawgrass . If you have time it maybe of interest to you .

i Paid £325 for Queenwood, next was £280 for 36 at Sunningdale on European Amateut tour - a good deal at the time as less than the day rate but pales compared to last year's £220 deal that the guys sorted (3rd most expensive round)!

Most I've paid is about £70-75....
    I'd make an exception for somewhere like The Old Course but I struggle to justify spending more than £100 on a round of golf and that would be a "special"
    Callaway clubs in a Callaway bag.

Handicap 8.0 at Whipsnade Park

H4H Handicap challenge Vs r0wly86

You might be a King or a Little Street Sweeper but sooner or later you dance with The Reaper...