Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: Following on from ‘how much should a visitor pay’ thread .

Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    How much if you could rent out to play a game of football at Wembley, OLd Trafford etc, or play a game of Tennis on the centre court at Wimbledon etc....

So by the same token, to play on a course where some of the greats have played and where there is a lot of history in the sport we love, why not push the boat out and treat yourselves to a round of golf which would take much longer than any of the other examples I’ve listed.

I think my most expensive days out on a golf course have been Sunningdale, Swinley Forest and soon to Turnberry, factor in overnight stays, food, drink etc and no doubt it’s the same as some people would pay to go away on a holiday break, but it’s my hobby so I want to get the most out of it, while I can.

I’ve spent more than the cost of those courses on a day at the bridge with an overnight stay plus travel, food & drink, so which is the best value, it’s all subjective.

My 3 days coming up down on the Kent coast will cost me the equivalent of £200 per round possibly once I take travel, accommodation, food, drink and then the green fees into consideration, is that value for money against the courses being played, no, is it value for a great 3-day social event to enjoy my hobby and have some banter with like minded people, hell yes.

My annual trip to play Cooden Beach is well over £300, for 1 day of golf, on Smiffy’s goat track ️
    i Get where you’re coming from, though I don’t think we should take into consideration other things like accommodation etc because they are hugely variable and person specific.

Im a huge fan of Liverpool F.C. but I really would never spend £200-300 to play football at Anfield unless I was playing with Stephen Gerrard himself!

In the same vein I’d understand if one paid £300 for a package at a ‘special’ golf course. Like a round of golf, stay at the hotel, breakfast and dinner, or a guided historical tour or something. But to pay that amount of money just to play one round and no more still feels like overkill 😌

I think it was about £70 or so but to offset I've played the same course for free too!

Guessing the next thread might well be how many rounds of golf have you played for no green fee

But you really do have to have experienced a round at a top top notch course to understand how different say, Sunningdale feels, compared to a £25 course. As fish says, the Kent Links Tour in February plays at 3 world renown links courses they are just brilliant but the food alone would cost more than your £25 - however we do get a very good deal.
    removed list of clubs as they change too frequently !

Handicap 12.0

Ryder Cup Winner

I think many of you undervalue the cost of playing and experiencing playing golf and some of the country’s best golf courses. In the grand scale of things, £50 is buttons nowadays. Most people can’t fill their cars with fuel for that never mind how much a night on the beer costs with taxi fares etc.

Journeyman Pro

think ive paid £100 to play woburn before

this year I believe our society deal is £140 including bacon roll, 18 holes on the marquess, lunch then as many holes on the duchess as we can fit in before sunset

not an awful deal
    In the bag
    TM M2 10.5 Driver
    TM M2 3 wood
    Ping G15 5 wood
    TM Jetspeed 3 Hybrid
    TM Jetspeed 4 Hybrid
    Titliest 716 ap1 6-PW
    SM5 vokey wedges 50, 54 , 58 degree
    Odyssey White Hot Pro 2.0 2 Ball with superstroke mid 2.0 grip

Tour Winner

The most I've ever paid for a green fee, out of my own pocket, was about £60-65
    That was to play Wynyard, over a decade ago
    I've played much better courses, but either as a members guest, cheap green fee, or a freebie via a member.

I've not played any grand open venues, would defenitely be interested in doing so, but I'd not pay £200 plus to play anywhere TBH
    But that's just me......

Think I’ve paid a couple at £195. Last time at St Andrews also included caddies, so somewhere ove £200 I think.
    Give it big humpties

Quote Originally Posted by Val View Post
    I think many of you undervalue the cost of playing and experiencing playing golf and some of the country’s best golf courses. In the grand scale of things, £50 is buttons nowadays. Most people can’t fill their cars with fuel for that never mind how much a night on the beer costs with taxi fares etc.
    Good point Martin. I'm the opposite to some one here you would have to pay me to play some of the Micky Mouse courses in the US. if i wanted to see pristine flower beds id go to a botanical garden
    Give me UK links any day
    Ive been lucky enough to play a few open venues for free, but would pay the going rate for any of them if thats what it meant to play them. last year played the old course and i think that cost me over £200 with the caddie and tip. I would probably do it again.
    http://www.nairngolfclub.co.uk/

The Nairn Golf Club, Club Champion (handicap) 2017

Tour Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbit View Post
    Think I’ve paid a couple at £195. Last time at St Andrews also included caddies, so somewhere ove £200 I think.
    The most I've ever paid for a greenfee, does that mean for me individually, or for the family as a whole? Given that I normally have to pay for all three of us if we're going somewhere special.

I paid £220 for both Sunningdale courses, the same for both Berkshires and both Walton Heath, and also for St Andrews Old Course + Eden.

The St Andrews trip was a bit special, so I also paid for Caddies, so closer to £300, and yes, I did this for the three of us, so technically the greenfee came closer to £1000. Haven't factored in the accomodation and travel to get there from the south of England.

Journeyman Pro

The most I've paid is about £60/70 to play Alwoodley with the NW forummers. Don't think at my level I'd pay much more than that at the moment.
    Ping G15 Driver
    Ping G20 Hybrid
    Ping G10 18 Hybrid
    Cobra Amp 5-SW Irons
    Titliest Vokey 60 degree
    Taylormade Rossa Putter

Handicap 27