Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Challenge Tour Pro

Re: Article About My Club In Tonight's Evening Standard

Is the road leading to the car park still private, must be 30 years since I have been there?

my guess is ulterior motive, hope it’s not the start of something bigger.

Major Champion SwingsitlikeHogan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Orikoru View Post
    So my club, Haste Hill, is in the Evening Standard tonight. Our course is council-owned, and after recent refurbishment, they have neglected to put the winner's boards back up - they say it is preventing couples from booking the clubhouse as a wedding venue! Our long-time members are understandably up in arms about this.

Article is on the website as well:
    https://www.standard.co.uk/news/lond...-a3736456.html

I think this quote is a bit rich at best, at worst outrageous: "Haste Hill Golf Club is a separately organised group that uses the course but does not contribute financially to the building or its upkeep, and their 26 wooden boards were dissuading people from hiring the venue."

We 'don't contribute financially' but I wonder how well the clubhouse would do if all the members suddenly stopped getting breakfast, lunch and post-round drinks in there?

I don't even know what a "digital board" is??
    I read the article whilst sat in a Central Line waggon this evening heading home - and wondered if any forummer...wasn't impressed by the council's attitude. Their idea of a digital board baffled me too - and suggested that they have no idea...

The picture of part of the course looked nice - lovely sunny day and everything nice and green

Mind you - what was the picture all about that showed a member (I assume) looking at the boards on a (the?) wall with a set of tables covered in trophies along the walls - trophies all just sitting out there as if they were out of the cabinet to be polished. Looked a bit weird.
    Last edited by SwingsitlikeHogan; 10-Jan-2018 at 23:45.
    to infinity and beyond...

...well from 10.0 to 9.4 this year would be nice.

And last medal of the year (Oct) saw me play to handicap but CSS was +1 so that was me down 0.2 from 8.3 to 8.1

Job done

Quote Originally Posted by SwingsitlikeHogan View Post
    I read the article whilst sat in a Central Line waggon this evening heading home - and wondered if any forummer...wasn't impressed by the council's attitude. Their idea of a digital board baffled me too - and suggested that they have no idea...

The picture of part of the course looked nice - lovely sunny day and everything nice and green

Mind you - what was the picture all about that showed a member (I assume) looking at the boards on a (the?) wall with a set of tables covered in trophies along the walls - trophies all just sitting out there as if they were out of the cabinet to be polished. Looked a bit weird.
    That picture at the top is the first hole. Which is currently closed because it doesn't look anything like that picture right now... I've no idea when the picture with the boards and trophies was taken. Perhaps it was on a presentation night, hence why the trophies might be out.

If I had to guess what a 'digital board' is, I'd suggest some sort of iPad type screen that sort of flicks through many pages of winners. But in all honesty the council probably just made it up and didn't even think about whether it was a real thing or not.
    • TaylorMade R11-S (12°)
    • Adams Speedline Fast 12 5 wood (17°)
    • Benross HTX 3 hybrid (20°)
    • Callaway Steelhead XR irons 5-PW
    • Cleveland RTX-3 (50°)
    • Cleveland RTX Rotex 2.0 (56°)
    • Dunlop Wedge (60°)
    • Odyssey Works 1W putter
    • DX2/Optix
    H'cap J F M A M J J A S O N D Review
    2017: 24 24.2 24.4 22.8 22.9 22.9 21.9
    2018: 22.0 21.2 21.6

Even as a golfer i'm kinda on the councils side on this one

Obviously more people will be inclined to hire the function rooms without the boards which might help reclaim some of the costs to renovate and the council didn't spend that amount on renovations just to keep members of a non contributory club happy,
    it will have to be paid for somehow

And maybe without the renovations they may have actually had to close the clubhouse, then where would the boards go!

Last by not least the quotes from the president make him sound like a drama merchant "I’ve played here since 1980 and now all my memories have gone"
    Well you wont even remember you used to have boards up either then will you

My club is run by golf group (BGL) who want it to make money more than anything else.

Our boards are glass panels with black print on. Very modern looking.

Maybe that's the solution. You'll be asked to pay for more modern boards if they are to go up again.
    Follow me on Twitter: @dufferman

Quote Originally Posted by Slab View Post
    Even as a golfer i'm kinda on the councils side on this one

Obviously more people will be inclined to hire the function rooms without the boards which might help reclaim some of the costs to renovate and the council didn't spend that amount on renovations just to keep members of a non contributory club happy,
    it will have to be paid for somehow

And maybe without the renovations they may have actually had to close the clubhouse, then where would the boards go!

Last by not least the quotes from the president make him sound like a drama merchant "I’ve played here since 1980 and now all my memories have gone"
    Well you wont even remember you used to have boards up either then will you
    I get where you're coming from, but if you actually visited the clubhouse you'd see it's not exactly grandiose. If people aren't booking it, it's not because it had winner's board up.

26 boards does seem a lot though. I'd have thought they could compromise and just leave the major ones up - i.e. captains, open winners, club champs winners and a couple of others.

I must admit, that quote did make me laugh. I didn't even know who that guy is, it says he's the club president but I don't think I've ever met him. According to HowDidIDo, his handicap is 28.
    • TaylorMade R11-S (12°)
    • Adams Speedline Fast 12 5 wood (17°)
    • Benross HTX 3 hybrid (20°)
    • Callaway Steelhead XR irons 5-PW
    • Cleveland RTX-3 (50°)
    • Cleveland RTX Rotex 2.0 (56°)
    • Dunlop Wedge (60°)
    • Odyssey Works 1W putter
    • DX2/Optix
    H'cap J F M A M J J A S O N D Review
    2017: 24 24.2 24.4 22.8 22.9 22.9 21.9
    2018: 22.0 21.2 21.6

Quote from the council "Haste Hill Golf Club is a separately organised group that uses the course but does not contribute financially to the building or its upkeep, and their 26 wooden boards were dissuading people from hiring the venue".

A simple solution would be to have a curtain or a drape to cover them when a function is on.

As regards not contributing financially, I'm sure golfers spend money in the clubhouse which does contribute to the upkeep. I think the council are a little short sighted.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old.....We grow old because we stop playing.

Agree with the last two posts, there must a compromise to be had. Reduce the number of boards to the really important ones and either display them somewhere unobtrusive or have a way to cover them for functions.

Surely part of the idea of hiring a golf club for a function is so you can have a nose around the trophy cabinet and honours board?
    I know I do in every club I go to.
    It's like hiring Goodison Park for a wedding and they remove all the trophies and winners plaques...oh hang on
    2016 handicap 15-13 2017 handicap 13-12 2018 handicap 12...

Quote Originally Posted by Orikoru View Post
    I get where you're coming from, but if you actually visited the clubhouse you'd see it's not exactly grandiose. If people aren't booking it, it's not because it had winner's board up.

26 boards does seem a lot though. I'd have thought they could compromise and just leave the major ones up - i.e. captains, open winners, club champs winners and a couple of others.

I must admit, that quote did make me laugh. I didn't even know who that guy is, it says he's the club president but I don't think I've ever met him. According to HowDidIDo, his handicap is 28.
    Yeah i just think if the council do want to widen the potential market for those looking for a relatively inexpensive wedding venue, which bride's gonna pick the place with golf results all over the walls (and in every photograph) instead of the local social club with plain walls

Agree with the curtains idea, maybe the golf club could suggest a compromise where they get to use one wall and will pay for a floor to ceiling curtain