Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: Article About My Club In Tonight's Evening Standard

Quote Originally Posted by Slab View Post
    Yeah i just think if the council do want to widen the potential market for those looking for a relatively inexpensive wedding venue, which bride's gonna pick the place with golf results all over the walls (and in every photograph) instead of the local social club with plain walls

Agree with the curtains idea, maybe the golf club could suggest a compromise where they get to use one wall and will pay for a floor to ceiling curtain
    I suspect it will have to be something like that, as I can't see the council relenting and just sticking all the boards back up.
    • TaylorMade R11-S (set to 12°)
    • Adams Speedline Fast 12 5 wood, 17°
    • Adams Blue 4 hybrid, 22°
    • Callaway Steelhead XR irons 5-PW
    • Cleveland RTX-3, 50°
    • Cleveland RTX Rotex 2.0, 56°
    • Odyssey Works 1W putter
    • DX2 Soft
    H'cap Jan Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Dec end yr review
    2017: 24 24.1 24.2 24.3 24.4 22.8 22.9 22.9 21.9

Last year our club re-decorated the clubhouse to be a modern looking dinning (Sunday Lunch) and Wedding / Party Venue, and the picures of old ex Captains and Presidents were removed and not put back. Some members don't like the new look, but I do, and so did my lads girlfriend as they booked their wedding last year there as soon as they saw it. The Sunday lunch is packed out. The Christmas Parties were sold out. Can't see a downside. I'm looking forward to see how much money it has brought in at our AGM in February. I think you'll find that the members don't actually contribute much in the scheme of things to the bar takings over 12 months. Parties DO !
    PS All the winners board are downstairs out of the way.
    In My Bag
    Driver - Adams Superspeed 10.5 deg
    Hybrid - Adam Superspeed
    Irons - Cleveland CG16
    Putter - Yes Sandy
    Balls - Nike PD Soft, when using new in comps. Will be Callaway Supersoft next season

I can see their point, i'm not sure i'd like to hire a golf club hall covered in life size smiley blazer heads and ancient looking honours boards.
    COYS

So the council own the building, the club contribute zero (excluding food/drinks at the bar)? Its their ball, it's their game. Sorry, i'm with the council, they are seeing shortfalls in budgets left right and centre, so if they can raise income by increased wedding hire, then surely its beneficial for the community?
    Owner of golf clubs, dusty golf clubs...

Talks a lot of sense on twitter @scottroots

Quote Originally Posted by Rooter View Post
    So the council own the building, the club contribute zero (excluding food/drinks at the bar)? Its their ball, it's their game. Sorry, i'm with the council, they are seeing shortfalls in budgets left right and centre, so if they can raise income by increased wedding hire, then surely its beneficial for the community?
    I really don't think they will. My missus wouldn't have considered it as our wedding venue for a second, boards or no boards. You are right though, they're within their rights to take them down, but I think it's disrespectful to the club and club members to not even compromise on it. If I had any say in it, I would propose the best solution would be keep the boards out of the function room, but at least put the captains, open winners and club champs winners (just the main ones) up in the bar area, which is a separate room to the function room. Sure we don't need all 26 boards up for every annual competition. That sort of info can be on the website these days.
    • Cleveland RTX-3, 50°
    • DX2 Soft

Journeyman Pro

I think it's odd to not have consulted, or notified the club in advance. If the club were allowed to hang the boards up in the first place, it would seem a basic courtesy to notify.

My theory is they've lost the boards so can't put them back.
    Handicap: 12

Quote Originally Posted by Canary_Yellow View Post
    I think it's odd to not have consulted, or notified the club in advance. If the club were allowed to hang the boards up in the first place, it would seem a basic courtesy to notify.

My theory is they've lost the boards so can't put them back.
    Haha, probably chopped them up and recycled the wood! Awkward.
    • Cleveland RTX-3, 50°
    • DX2 Soft

Tour Winner

Given the article was in the Evening Standard who wouldn't know the truth if it bit them, and they certainly wouldn't publish it , if it didn't fit their agenda, then l wonder what the real basis of the story is?

From experience, I'm guessing there's more to it, but the Standard will always take against the Council, so will be publishing a watered down or feeble version of a (possible) better reason. And will only give half tne story. Seen it too often to give any respect to the rag.
    Handicap Challenge - 19.3 (23 Dec)
    The uglier a man’s legs are, the better he plays golf. HG Wells. I got nice legs...

Quote Originally Posted by backwoodsman View Post
    Given the article was in the Evening Standard who wouldn't know the truth if it bit them, and they certainly wouldn't publish it , if it didn't fit their agenda, then l wonder what the real basis of the story is?

From experience, I'm guessing there's more to it, but the Standard will always take against the Council, so will be publishing a watered down or feeble version of a (possible) better reason. And will only give half tne story. Seen it too often to give any respect to the rag.
    I don't disagree with the sentiment regarding rag papers, but how much more to it can there be? I already knew the crux of it before this article came because it was being discussed by members obviously. And all they were saying was the council were refusing to put the boards back up after the refurb for marketing reasons. There probably is more to it from the council perspective though, that they're not letting on.
    • Cleveland RTX-3, 50°
    • DX2 Soft

Major Champion SwingsitlikeHogan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by backwoodsman View Post

Maybe the editor of the ES was looking for a negative Brexit angle to the story
    to infinity and beyond...

...well from 10.0 to 9.4 this year would be nice.

And with just the October medal to go - I've got to 8.3

Job done