Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 48

Thread: Latte levy...

  1. #31
    Challenge Tour Pro toyboy54's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    outskirts...glasgow&paisley
    Posts
    700

    Re: Latte levy...

    Lord Tyrion(post 26)...Sorry, but you need to check your main facts....as paper does not degrade sooner but also gives off methane gas when decomposing,whereas biodegradable plastic bags give off no harmful toxic gases when degrading process kicks in(can be 6 months in landfill).People assume that paper is environmentally friendly...mainly because it seems that it comes from trees(which can be replanted--and take years to grow to maturity).
    I actually work in the packaging industry producing both paper and plastic carrier bags and the misconceptions that people believe(without looking into the actual facts)sometimes leave you wondering how the hell did you get to where you are when I meet them at the big trade shows.It makes me smile when you explain the financial differences involved and how they suddenly change their mind set and actually take away some fact sheets explaining various environmental processes,costs and legislation!
    Also,plastic(and paper)don't cause pollution.....PEOPLE DO!!!!
    Ping Anser driver,Taylormade 3/5/7woods,MD hybrid,Wilson irons,2 Ping putters,2 Wilson putters,various bags,various shoes a Motocaddy trolley and a lot of hope.

  2. #32
    Major Champion bobmac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Lincolnshire
    Posts
    19,820

    Re: Latte levy...

    Does no one own a thermos flask any more?

    All day supply of coffee.......10p and zero packaging
    Mad inventor of the www.v-easy.co.uk A knowledgeable person knows lots of stuff, a wise person keeps it to themself

  3. #33
    Money List Winner Slab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Port Louis
    Posts
    5,342

    Re: Latte levy...

    Quote Originally Posted by bobmac View Post
    Does no one own a thermos flask any more?

    All day supply of coffee.......10p and zero packaging
    thermos.jpg

    Ahead of their time!

  4. #34
    Major Champion bobmac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Lincolnshire
    Posts
    19,820

    Re: Latte levy...

    Mad inventor of the www.v-easy.co.uk A knowledgeable person knows lots of stuff, a wise person keeps it to themself

  5. #35
    Money List Winner Lord Tyrion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Northumberland
    Posts
    7,829

    Re: Latte levy...

    Quote Originally Posted by toyboy54 View Post
    Lord Tyrion(post 26)...Sorry, but you need to check your main facts....as paper does not degrade sooner but also gives off methane gas when decomposing,whereas biodegradable plastic bags give off no harmful toxic gases when degrading process kicks in(can be 6 months in landfill).People assume that paper is environmentally friendly...mainly because it seems that it comes from trees(which can be replanted--and take years to grow to maturity).
    I actually work in the packaging industry producing both paper and plastic carrier bags and the misconceptions that people believe(without looking into the actual facts)sometimes leave you wondering how the hell did you get to where you are when I meet them at the big trade shows.It makes me smile when you explain the financial differences involved and how they suddenly change their mind set and actually take away some fact sheets explaining various environmental processes,costs and legislation!
    Also,plastic(and paper)don't cause pollution.....PEOPLE DO!!!!
    Happy to be corrected. No background in the industry so I was only really going off what my eyes tell me and reading in the papers. A little knowledge................

    Paper seems to breakdown very easily when wet so I made an assumption there. I get your point about biodegradable plastic bags, although do they still not need UV light which is hard in landfill?, but most bags are not biodegradable, it seems, which is part of the problem.

    No question about people causing pollution but to be fair that is the same argument the gun lobby use. People need "strong guidance" at times as if left unchecked they make consistent bad choices.

    One of the difficulties here is that plastic is quite a fantastic product and retail, particularly food, has become very reliant on it. Trying to undo all of that is going to be a heck of a job.

    Thanks for the post. One of the joys of a forum is that you get to learn things and even better when you are corrected on a subject as otherwise you spread your nonsense unchecked!
    Nike Covert 2.0 Driver, Nike Covert 3 Wood, Nike Covert 26 Hybrid, Ping G25 23 Hybrid, Cleveland CG16 Irons , Cleveland Wedges, Odyssey White Hot RX No. 1 Putter

  6. #36
    Assistant Pro
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    141

    Re: Latte levy...

    Quote Originally Posted by FairwayDodger View Post
    They wouldn't. You say you don't want a bag but they give you one anyway 'cos it's too much hassle for them not to!
    The reason for McDonald's giving you a bag regardless is because if you are taking away or using drive through and your order contains chips, fries or whatever you want to call them, this is classed as being sold with an open container, which McDonalds don't allow there staff to sell without putting the item in a bag. So if you are ordering a meal for takeout or drive through you will always get a bag. If you order a burger on its own, you won't.
    Handicap 2017: 24.0 > 17.4
    Handicap 2018: 17.4 > 11.4

  7. #37
    Tour Winner MegaSteve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    In the slow lane...
    Posts
    4,323

    Re: Latte levy...

    Yep, people pollute... So I have no issues with them having to pay extra to carry on with their bad 'ways'...

    And, tea that's been swilling around in a thermos, all day long, has got to be one of life's worst experiences...

    And, always take my own mug home from work everyday to ensure it gets a proper clean... Like to take a different mug in everyday... As, sometimes, using a 'The Gunners are Great' mug is not always appropriate..
    On an adventure 'til dementia...

  8. #38
    Money List Winner Rooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Newbury
    Posts
    9,062

    Re: Latte levy...

    Quote Originally Posted by MegaSteve View Post
    sometimes, using a 'The Gunners are Great' mug is not always appropriate..
    has it ever appropriate since 2003?
    Owner of golf clubs, dusty golf clubs...

    Talks a lot of sense on twitter @scottroots

  9. #39
    Tour Winner MegaSteve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    In the slow lane...
    Posts
    4,323

    Re: Latte levy...

    Quote Originally Posted by Rooter View Post
    has it ever appropriate since 2003?

    Winning fourth place is still an achievement to be celebrated ...
    On an adventure 'til dementia...

  10. #40
    Tour Winner MegaSteve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    In the slow lane...
    Posts
    4,323

    Re: Latte levy...

    I see Scotland is casting its eyes towards cotton buds...

    Think some governments start this sort of campaign to cover its failings elsewhere...

    And, apparently our tree hugging credentials will be going downhill post B****t...
    On an adventure 'til dementia...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest Golf News