Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Re: How much should a visitor pay?

I hope you enjoy your day. Quite simply I could not justify that kind of money.

Money List Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Boab View Post
    You are correct. But what is a fair rate for a days golf? If the take it or leave it then only the wealthy will play the game.
    In fairness, many visitors to Patrick's course will have flown in to play it.

There are more courses where you can play for £25 A round midweek than there are those that cost more, and the prices being discussed here relate to less than 10% (probably less than 5%) of courses.
    some metal woods,
    any old irons,
    Pick up balls....

12.2 and moving the wrong way again...

You are correct. But what is a fair rate for a days golf? If the take it or leave it then only the wealthy will play the game.
    who said it was fair?? its the going rate, visitor's from overseas expect to pay for a good course, as someone else said Americans and Japanese if its too cheap won't play.

most people i know would have people to sign them on to other courses should they wish to play at other clubs or have reciprocal deals... of stump up the going rate.

by your calculations Royal Dornoch ( top 10 course in the world) would be charging £13.50... their green fee is £150.
    http://www.nairngolfclub.co.uk/

The Nairn Golf Club, Club Champion (handicap) 2017

Club Champion

Depends what you're comparing it to though surely?

Ticket to a premier league game is anywhere between £30 and £75 and that only lasts 90 minutes compared to a four hour round of golf.
    Ping G20 Driver - Old Wilson Steel Shafted 3 Wood - Ping Karsten 3 & 4 Hybrids - Taylormade Aeroburner HL Irons 5-SW - Vokey 50į & 60į Wedges - Ping Sigma G Ketsch B Putter

Same as 1 months membership works out abou OK for most courses.

Lower if you want to attract more visitors, higher if you want to attract more members.i

Up here there are council courses that are about £20 a round I think. If you take up golf you can get access to a course (often very decent ones) and take it from there.

If you decide you want to play regularly you join a club. My over 100 rounds per year for £700 becomes very good value. I play other courses through invites or opens, cheap golf again. I only pay a "large" amount if playing somewhere special - St. Andrews (£175) and Muirfield (£80 - I got lucky) in the last couple of years.
    Hcp - 4.6, lowest so far 😊

The 'fair rate' should be based on the overall running costs of the club involved, just like the annual subscription. My club is £1500pa and if I play once a week that equates to £30 a round. If a visitor could play it for less than that (which they can't) I would be pretty annoyed.

If a membership fee is £1,200, i.e. £100 a month, and they get in on average 4 rounds a month they are paying £25 a round. Should a visitor pay more or less?

If only it was that simple. How many members and what is the annual budget + what is the projected number of visitors should give a minimum figure. After that itís whatever the market will take.

However, if the average number of rounds played by all the members equates to £25 a round why should a visitor pay less?

The last few years Iíve been lucky to get 30 rounds a year. Havenít a clue how much it works out per round nor what green fees are. I donít care what someone else pays, only if I can afford my fees.
    Give it big humpties

Journeyman Pro

I'm not sure "fair" comes into the price of golf at a private members club.

Also, it's not as if all courses are expensive, as you say, your local is pretty cheap, and as others have noted, there are plenty of bargains to be had at very good courses if you are able to play at off peak times. For example, Crowborough Beacon is £25 after 12 on a weekday, that's a great course and a real bargain (Top 200).

There is a course available to suit all budgets in my opinion. Unless of course, as someone suggests above, you hope to pay for a Dacia and drive a Ferrari.
    Handicap: 12

Your probably correct I had several golf buddies who gave up as it was getting too expensive. I may be joining them soon and look for a hobby within the salary of a hospital porter.