Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 94
  1. #11
    Money List Winner paddyk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    6,874

    Re: How much should a visitor pay?

    In the Sumner there are usually lots of good deals to be had, especially if you tee off after 4 or 5. In the south its light till 9:45 ish and in scotland even later, more like 10:30 in June
    COYS

  2. #12
    Tour Rookie Capella's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,371

    Re: How much should a visitor pay?

    I don't know of any other country where playing as a visitor on average is as cheap as it is in the UK (and possibly Ireland). In Germany you will be very hard pressed to find a course with green fees below 50 €, at least on the weekend, and if you are not a member of a golf club somewhere or don't have a handicap, they will either charge you extra (normally an additional 10 €) or not let you play at all. Granted, most German golf courses are in good condition, but I totally enjoy the wide variety of courses in all price ranges whenever I visit the UK. Also, it is uncommon here to give slower rates to guests of members (you mght get a 10 € reduction of the regular greenfee, but at my homecourse that still leaves a staggering 60 € guest fee on weekends ... and my home course is decent, but nothing special) Most courses I played in Spain and Portugal so far were pretty similar (unless you are a hotel guest and get some kind of special deal). So stop whining, guys. You are in golf heaven, as far as visitor prices are concerned
    In the bag: Cobra FlyZ driver, Cobra Baffler XL 3 & 7 wood, Bridgestone GC 22 ° Hybrid, Cleveland Halo 4 Hybrid, MacGregor V-Foil M455 irons 5 - SW, Cleveland Black 60°, Odyssey White Hot putter

  3. #13
    Journeyman Pro IanM's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,593

    Re: How much should a visitor pay?

    Good Point 'Cap!

    But huge diversity of prices in the UK... generally the further from London you are the cheaper it gets, unless you are in an area visited by overseas (usually American Tourists! Open Venues etc)

    I've also yet to meet a Brit who has been on a golf holiday to Germany Maybe we should have a Forum Meet over there ! (get organising!)
    A bit Old School, Taylor Made Woods & Ping Irons! Jetspeeds and i25s
    Scotty flat stick
    Somedays they behave, others less so!
    SLDR sitting in the garage to remind the driver, "he can be replaced!"

  4. #14
    Challenge Tour Pro Coffey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    519

    Re: How much should a visitor pay?

    Quote Originally Posted by patricks148 View Post
    i played with a guy at a Visit Scotland do a couple of years ago who worked for the PGA of America and he more or less said the same thing about most of the top Courses in Ireland. Americans were steering clear of RCD and Portrush because it was too cheap.... not any more though
    Yeah its absolutely crazy, the prices just keep going up and up. Portrush will be even worse after The Open in 2019.

    Castlerock do a GUI deal for about £30 i think which is good value.

    I went and played the small course at Lahinch last year at 7 am, was a queue of 4 balls (all Americans) already on the tee for the main course. Before 9 am you have to have a caddy, the green fee is 250 euro each and the caddy fee on top. Over 1k per 4 ball and the tee was booked for most of the day. Absolutely insane amount of money being made.
    H/C: 14.5 Clandeboye Golf Club, Bangor, Northern Ireland. Driver: 2016 M1- Project X Hzrdus black 6.0 . 3 wood: TM M2 HL 3 Iron: Srixon ZU45 Hybrids:TM RBZ Stage2 4. Irons: Ping I 5-PW. Wedges: SM6- 50, 56, 60. Putter: Odyssey 2-ball Fang Tank

  5. #15
    Ryder Cup Winner patricks148's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Highlands
    Posts
    13,773

    Re: How much should a visitor pay?

    Quote Originally Posted by Coffey View Post
    Yeah its absolutely crazy, the prices just keep going up and up. Portrush will be even worse after The Open in 2019.

    Castlerock do a GUI deal for about £30 i think which is good value.

    I went and played the small course at Lahinch last year at 7 am, was a queue of 4 balls (all Americans) already on the tee for the main course. Before 9 am you have to have a caddy, the green fee is 250 euro each and the caddy fee on top. Over 1k per 4 ball and the tee was booked for most of the day. Absolutely insane amount of money being made.
    yep we looked at going last year and it was just short of £200 for RCD and £180 for Portrush, couldn't get our act together so going to try again this year, not doubt it will have gone up

    Even my club want £150 for visitors, which is silly money TBH
    http://www.nairngolfclub.co.uk/

    The Nairn Golf Club, Club Champion (handicap) 2017

  6. #16
    Global Moderator DCB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Midlothian
    Posts
    7,362

    Re: How much should a visitor pay?

    Back in 2000 I was at RCD and it was £60 the week after the Seniors Open had taken place

  7. #17
    Challenge Tour Pro Coffey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    519

    Re: How much should a visitor pay?

    Quote Originally Posted by patricks148 View Post
    yep we looked at going last year and it was just short of £200 for RCD and £180 for Portrush, couldn't get our act together so going to try again this year, not doubt it will have gone up

    Even my club want £150 for visitors, which is silly money TBH
    Yeah RCD is £230 for 2018, goes up for a Sunday afternoon to £240 and down to £220 for a weekday afternoon. I have just noticed they have 'Concessionary rates are available throughout the summer to golfers who are members of The GUI (Ulster Branch) and ILGU (Northern District). Contact the Secretary’s Office for details.'

    I wonder how much that would be.

    Portrush is now up to £205.

    I can't imagine spending that much on a round of golf.

    A friend of mine played in an scratch open last year at Portstewart, was £30 for 2 rounds and lunch. It was £150 a round for visitors. Absolutely crazy the difference in price.

    H/C: 14.5 Clandeboye Golf Club, Bangor, Northern Ireland. Driver: 2016 M1- Project X Hzrdus black 6.0 . 3 wood: TM M2 HL 3 Iron: Srixon ZU45 Hybrids:TM RBZ Stage2 4. Irons: Ping I 5-PW. Wedges: SM6- 50, 56, 60. Putter: Odyssey 2-ball Fang Tank

  8. #18
    Tour Rookie
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Shrewsbury, Shropshire
    Posts
    1,274

    Re: How much should a visitor pay?

    it is amazing how much some green fees are, given you can be paying £10-£15 plus a hole. The thing that really gets my goat tho is that on any given day I am likely to play like a chopper (for instance I played well at Royal St Georges and felt I got value for money but felt a bit like I wasted my money at Sunningdale, as I chopped it around, yeah an amazing place to chop it around and wish to go back, but I was really left with the feeling I had wasted a lot of money).

    One thing to look at is for reciprocals, if your club membership includes them or the 'opens' that clubs hold, makes the green fees a lot more manageable. Played quite a few courses like Sandiway, Delamere, Beau, Little Aston on these and will be doing more this year as Conwy has great reciprocals and currently looking at some other opens.

  9. #19
    Challenge Tour Pro Coffey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    519

    Re: How much should a visitor pay?

    Quote Originally Posted by DarrenWilliams View Post
    it is amazing how much some green fees are, given you can be paying £10-£15 plus a hole. The thing that really gets my goat tho is that on any given day I am likely to play like a chopper (for instance I played well at Royal St Georges and felt I got value for money but felt a bit like I wasted my money at Sunningdale, as I chopped it around, yeah an amazing place to chop it around and wish to go back, but I was really left with the feeling I had wasted a lot of money).

    One thing to look at is for reciprocals, if your club membership includes them or the 'opens' that clubs hold, makes the green fees a lot more manageable. Played quite a few courses like Sandiway, Delamere, Beau, Little Aston on these and will be doing more this year as Conwy has great reciprocals and currently looking at some other opens.
    Yeah 100% agree, then you factor in the weather. Especially in Northern Ireland when it rains 95% of the time.

    I always keep an eye out for opens which are good value.
    H/C: 14.5 Clandeboye Golf Club, Bangor, Northern Ireland. Driver: 2016 M1- Project X Hzrdus black 6.0 . 3 wood: TM M2 HL 3 Iron: Srixon ZU45 Hybrids:TM RBZ Stage2 4. Irons: Ping I 5-PW. Wedges: SM6- 50, 56, 60. Putter: Odyssey 2-ball Fang Tank

  10. #20
    Ryder Cup Winner garyinderry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    11,944

    Re: How much should a visitor pay?

    was told the same about portsallon. the guy in the shop told methey have green fee listed as expensive as the yanks like the course to be reassuringly expensive.


    we dont pay anything like the prices listed on the website.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest Golf News

Joaquin Niemann wins LAAC and earns Masters start

Joaquin Niemann of Chile fired a spectacular final round 63 to win the Latin America Amateur Championship at the Prince of Wales CC in Santiago, Chile. The World’s Number 1 amateur golfer, Niemann has earned a start in the 2018 Masters.

January 23, 2018

Farmers Insurance Open Golf Betting Tips

The PGA Tour travel to Torrey Pines in sunny California check out who we think will do well with these Farmers Insurance Open Golf Betting Tips

January 23, 2018

Tiger Returns As Rahm Defends Farmers Insurance Open

The PGA Tour is back at Torrey Pines this week featuring world number two and defending champion Jon Rahm whilst Tiger Woods makes his first start of 2018

January 23, 2018

Omega Dubai Desert Classic Preview

Read our preview of this week's Dubai Desert Classic where Sergio Garcia defends against a strong field at Emirates GC

January 23, 2018

FootJoy Tour S Shoe Unveiled

FootJoy Tour S Shoe Unveiled - FootJoy claims its latest premium shoe is the most stable it has created, but doesn't skimp on out-of-the-box comfort or style.

January 23, 2018