Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: How much should a visitor pay?

In the Sumner there are usually lots of good deals to be had, especially if you tee off after 4 or 5. In the south its light till 9:45 ish and in scotland even later, more like 10:30 in June
    COYS

I don't know of any other country where playing as a visitor on average is as cheap as it is in the UK (and possibly Ireland). In Germany you will be very hard pressed to find a course with green fees below 50 €, at least on the weekend, and if you are not a member of a golf club somewhere or don't have a handicap, they will either charge you extra (normally an additional 10 €) or not let you play at all. Granted, most German golf courses are in good condition, but I totally enjoy the wide variety of courses in all price ranges whenever I visit the UK. Also, it is uncommon here to give slower rates to guests of members (you mght get a 10 € reduction of the regular greenfee, but at my homecourse that still leaves a staggering 60 € guest fee on weekends ... and my home course is decent, but nothing special) Most courses I played in Spain and Portugal so far were pretty similar (unless you are a hotel guest and get some kind of special deal). So stop whining, guys. You are in golf heaven, as far as visitor prices are concerned
    In the bag: Cobra FlyZ driver, Cobra Baffler XL 3 & 7 wood, Bridgestone GC 22 ° Hybrid, Cleveland Halo 4 Hybrid, MacGregor V-Foil M455 irons 5 - SW, Cleveland Black 60°, Odyssey White Hot putter

Good Point 'Cap!

But huge diversity of prices in the UK... generally the further from London you are the cheaper it gets, unless you are in an area visited by overseas (usually American Tourists! Open Venues etc)

I've also yet to meet a Brit who has been on a golf holiday to Germany Maybe we should have a Forum Meet over there ! (get organising!)
    A bit Old School, Taylor Made Woods & Ping Irons! Jetspeeds and i25s
    Scotty flat stick
    Somedays they behave, others less so!
    SLDR sitting in the garage to remind the driver, "he can be replaced!"

Quote Originally Posted by patricks148 View Post
    i played with a guy at a Visit Scotland do a couple of years ago who worked for the PGA of America and he more or less said the same thing about most of the top Courses in Ireland. Americans were steering clear of RCD and Portrush because it was too cheap.... not any more though
    Yeah its absolutely crazy, the prices just keep going up and up. Portrush will be even worse after The Open in 2019.

Castlerock do a GUI deal for about £30 i think which is good value.

I went and played the small course at Lahinch last year at 7 am, was a queue of 4 balls (all Americans) already on the tee for the main course. Before 9 am you have to have a caddy, the green fee is 250 euro each and the caddy fee on top. Over 1k per 4 ball and the tee was booked for most of the day. Absolutely insane amount of money being made.
    H/C: 14.5 Clandeboye Golf Club, Bangor, Northern Ireland. Driver: 2016 M1- Project X Hzrdus black 6.0 . 3 wood: TM M2 HL 3 Iron: Srixon ZU45 Hybrids:TM RBZ Stage2 4. Irons: Ping I 5-PW. Wedges: SM6- 50, 56, 60. Putter: Odyssey 2-ball Fang Tank

Quote Originally Posted by Coffey View Post
    Yeah its absolutely crazy, the prices just keep going up and up. Portrush will be even worse after The Open in 2019.

Castlerock do a GUI deal for about £30 i think which is good value.

I went and played the small course at Lahinch last year at 7 am, was a queue of 4 balls (all Americans) already on the tee for the main course. Before 9 am you have to have a caddy, the green fee is 250 euro each and the caddy fee on top. Over 1k per 4 ball and the tee was booked for most of the day. Absolutely insane amount of money being made.
    yep we looked at going last year and it was just short of £200 for RCD and £180 for Portrush, couldn't get our act together so going to try again this year, not doubt it will have gone up

Even my club want £150 for visitors, which is silly money TBH
    http://www.nairngolfclub.co.uk/

The Nairn Golf Club, Club Champion (handicap) 2017

Back in 2000 I was at RCD and it was £60 the week after the Seniors Open had taken place

Quote Originally Posted by patricks148 View Post
    yep we looked at going last year and it was just short of £200 for RCD and £180 for Portrush, couldn't get our act together so going to try again this year, not doubt it will have gone up

Even my club want £150 for visitors, which is silly money TBH
    Yeah RCD is £230 for 2018, goes up for a Sunday afternoon to £240 and down to £220 for a weekday afternoon. I have just noticed they have 'Concessionary rates are available throughout the summer to golfers who are members of The GUI (Ulster Branch) and ILGU (Northern District). Contact the Secretary’s Office for details.'

I wonder how much that would be.

Portrush is now up to £205.

I can't imagine spending that much on a round of golf.

A friend of mine played in an scratch open last year at Portstewart, was £30 for 2 rounds and lunch. It was £150 a round for visitors. Absolutely crazy the difference in price.

H/C: 14.5 Clandeboye Golf Club, Bangor, Northern Ireland. Driver: 2016 M1- Project X Hzrdus black 6.0 . 3 wood: TM M2 HL 3 Iron: Srixon ZU45 Hybrids:TM RBZ Stage2 4. Irons: Ping I 5-PW. Wedges: SM6- 50, 56, 60. Putter: Odyssey 2-ball Fang Tank

Tour Rookie

it is amazing how much some green fees are, given you can be paying £10-£15 plus a hole. The thing that really gets my goat tho is that on any given day I am likely to play like a chopper (for instance I played well at Royal St Georges and felt I got value for money but felt a bit like I wasted my money at Sunningdale, as I chopped it around, yeah an amazing place to chop it around and wish to go back, but I was really left with the feeling I had wasted a lot of money).

One thing to look at is for reciprocals, if your club membership includes them or the 'opens' that clubs hold, makes the green fees a lot more manageable. Played quite a few courses like Sandiway, Delamere, Beau, Little Aston on these and will be doing more this year as Conwy has great reciprocals and currently looking at some other opens.

Quote Originally Posted by DarrenWilliams View Post
    it is amazing how much some green fees are, given you can be paying £10-£15 plus a hole. The thing that really gets my goat tho is that on any given day I am likely to play like a chopper (for instance I played well at Royal St Georges and felt I got value for money but felt a bit like I wasted my money at Sunningdale, as I chopped it around, yeah an amazing place to chop it around and wish to go back, but I was really left with the feeling I had wasted a lot of money).

One thing to look at is for reciprocals, if your club membership includes them or the 'opens' that clubs hold, makes the green fees a lot more manageable. Played quite a few courses like Sandiway, Delamere, Beau, Little Aston on these and will be doing more this year as Conwy has great reciprocals and currently looking at some other opens.
    Yeah 100% agree, then you factor in the weather. Especially in Northern Ireland when it rains 95% of the time.

I always keep an eye out for opens which are good value.

was told the same about portsallon. the guy in the shop told methey have green fee listed as expensive as the yanks like the course to be reassuringly expensive.

we dont pay anything like the prices listed on the website.