Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
    Tour Rookie

Re: How much should a visitor pay?

Quote Originally Posted by Slab View Post
    Really, many courses round here have variable price-points depending on locals, residents, groups, members or tourists
    I'm sure i heard residents of St Andrews don't pay the same as tourists for the old course, and same for the area round Kingsbarns

Tourists aren't a race of people
    This is true, I played kingsbarns for 50% reduction and also trump Aberdeen at a greatly reduced rate due to being a Scottish resident.
    Personally I like to play the best I can afford, id rather play one good course at £150 than 5 average ones for the same money, when you’re 70 and sitting with the grandkids boring them to sleep do you think they want to hear your stories of how you beat their dad round the old course or round RCD. Or do they want to hear how you played 6 council courses they’ve never heard of.

Ryder Cup Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Simbo View Post
    This is true, I played kingsbarns for 50% reduction and also trump Aberdeen at a greatly reduced rate due to being a Scottish resident.
    Personally I like to play the best I can afford, id rather play one good course at £150 than 5 average ones for the same money, when you’re 70 and sitting with the grandkids boring them to sleep do you think they want to hear your stories of how you beat their dad round the old course or round RCD. Or do they want to hear how you played 6 council courses they’ve never heard of.
    100% agree with this

My one issue with green fees is that too many average or below clubs think that their course warrants a £40.00 green fee. It just seems the default amount for most to charge when there is no deal on.[/QUOTE]

The thing is , i don't think clubs base their green fees on what the course is worth , more how many people they want on it . Drop the prices and get volume up and the course is always busy , members moan its too busy , maintenance cost increase etc.
    They would rather have 100 paying £40 than 200 paying £20

Quote Originally Posted by andycap View Post
    My one issue with green fees is that too many average or below clubs think that their course warrants a £40.00 green fee. It just seems the default amount for most to charge when there is no deal on.
    The thing is , i don't think clubs base their green fees on what the course is worth , more how many people they want on it . Drop the prices and get volume up and the course is always busy , members moan its too busy , maintenance cost increase etc.
    They would rather have 100 paying £40 than 200 paying £20[/QUOTE]

Funnily enough £40 is what we pay. Given the fantastic condition of our greens in particular and when you compare it to what other clubs in the are charge (without deals) then we are on a par. It's hard to say whether it represents value as I play it regularly and obviously have a bias. The good thing is we don't rely on green fees and so it's up to visitors to decide if we represent good value. I'd like to hope we do but clearly some will come and enjoy the course and their visit and others won't