Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Journeyman Pro

Re: How much should a visitor pay?

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Boab View Post
    Your probably correct I had several golf buddies who gave up as it was getting too expensive. I may be joining them soon and look for a hobby within the salary of a hospital porter.
    My personal view is that golf is probably more accessible to the masses than ever. But each to their own.
    Handicap: 12

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Boab View Post
    Your probably correct I had several golf buddies who gave up as it was getting too expensive. I may be joining them soon and look for a hobby within the salary of a hospital porter.
    I'm confused!!, you started off about visiting courses in the UK for a holiday, now golf is too expensive full stop.

if you are a member at a club as stated and pay £600, if you played every week that £11.50 a week which is great value. visiting other clubs is always going to be more expensive than your own.
    http://www.nairngolfclub.co.uk/

The Nairn Golf Club, Club Champion (handicap) 2017

For me it's a simple choice. If it's a course I desperately want to play I'll look for a deal or save. Other than that, I wouldn't look at paying much more than £30-40 for a weekday game at many clubs, especially in my area. Again though I'd use the online services available to source a deal

I would use a simple formula to work out a visitor rate. Yearly fee/12 then 50% of that. So basically if you pay 1200 a year to be a member then it's 100 a month so a visitor should pay at least 50 a round at weekends. I do not see why a visitor should get to play a members course on the cheap. It's the members that make the long term commitment to the club and pay a lot of money for the privilege, so why should they then not be able to get the good tee times at weekends because of the nomadic golfer. I'm all for cheaper rates at off peek times during the week so that visitors do get the chance to play there as it is still a good revenue stream for the club.
    Taylormade 2017 M1 9.5* (set to 8.5) Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff shaft.............Taylormade R15 TP 3 wood Speeder 757 Tour Spec Stiff shaft.............Mizuno MP18-MMC Fli Hi 19* KBS C-Taper lite Stiff............Mizuno MP15 4-PW Stiff KBS C-taper Tour 120...............MP-T4 50* & 58* TTDG Wedge Flex..............Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2 Notchback..................Handicap index 3.2............Member @ http://stoneycreekgolf.com

Some years ago Wentworth charged £225 to play the West Course, in order to reduce the numbers playing it they just hiked the fee up to about £350 in one go. The fees just depend on what the Club is trying to achieve.
    removed list of clubs as they change too frequently !

Handicap 12.0

Quote Originally Posted by MadAdey View Post
    I would use a simple formula to work out a visitor rate. Yearly fee/12 then 50% of that. So basically if you pay 1200 a year to be a member then it's 100 a month so a visitor should pay at least 50 a round at weekends. I do not see why a visitor should get to play a members course on the cheap. It's the members that make the long term commitment to the club and pay a lot of money for the privilege, so why should they then not be able to get the good tee times at weekends because of the nomadic golfer. I'm all for cheaper rates at off peek times during the week so that visitors do get the chance to play there as it is still a good revenue stream for the club.
    There is a balancing act for many clubs though. Green fees are an important revenue line for many and help reduce the membership costs, but there has to be a balancing act and ensure the course isn't overly busy with non-members, especially at busy times. Happily my club has it about right at the moment. I do agree though about visitors shouldn't get it at members guest rates (for example) without playing with a member or at a significant discount

Wow so many replies in such a short time Thank You I take on board all your comments.
    My own opinion on how good or bad a golf course is what the membership fee is and how long the waiting list is. Hence I base my attempt at justifying green fees as a % of membership to do different will involve visitors being ripped off or getting a bargain.
    I see several references to how much Foreigners (or those with plenty of money) will pay to play high profile courses.This I feel is due to clever marketing, snobbery or a fool and his money being easily parted.

Quote Originally Posted by HomerJSimpson View Post
    There is a balancing act for many clubs though. Green fees are an important revenue line for many and help reduce the membership costs, but there has to be a balancing act and ensure the course isn't overly busy with non-members, especially at busy times. Happily my club has it about right at the moment. I do agree though about visitors shouldn't get it at members guest rates (for example) without playing with a member or at a significant discount
    last year i had my dad and his wife up to visit and play. it was cheaper to sign them in as senior citizen visitors than as my guests

prime example of a course that just didnt care properly for its members (despite its success being almost wholly reliant on them!)
    In the bag:
    TM M1 9.5 degree
    TM M1 17 degree hybrid
    Orka RS1/RS3 Irons 3-PW
    Orka RS10 Wedges 52,56,60
    Ping Ketsch

Handicap: 7

Quote Originally Posted by patricks148 View Post
    i played with a guy at a Visit Scotland do a couple of years ago who worked for the PGA of America and he more or less said the same thing about most of the top Courses in Ireland. Americans were steering clear of RCD and Portrush because it was too cheap.... not any more though
    This is very true Patrick, we played Waterville in 2016 it was 120 euro last year it 200 euro now thats some jump, we've decided to give it a miss this year as its getting to expensive and a Drive4show said if aint £150+ then the yanks think its rotten we heard the same story in Killarney last year.
    www.scotscraiggolfclub.com

Hcp :- Embarrassing

Ryder Cup Winner

Who says it has to be fair? The price will be what people are prepared to pay for a round at any specific course, if itís too expensive for you then donít play it.