Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Tour Rookie

Re: How much should a visitor pay?

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Boab View Post
    Wow so many replies in such a short time Thank You I take on board all your comments.
    My own opinion on how good or bad a golf course is what the membership fee is and how long the waiting list is. Hence I base my attempt at justifying green fees as a % of membership to do different will involve visitors being ripped off or getting a bargain.
    I see several references to how much Foreigners (or those with plenty of money) will pay to play high profile courses.This I feel is due to clever marketing, snobbery or a fool and his money being easily parted.
    If you wish just to play more normal courses on holiday, there are loads of cheaper but fun courses out there, for instance when on holiday in the lake district last year we played two courses on twilight deals, Kendal Golf Club and Grange over Sands both £12.50 on twilight deals IIRC

Another time when we were in Yorkshire we played Casterton, Sedburgh and Kirby Lonsdale IIRC all under £20 a round for midweek golf.

Just don't pick the expensive courses and golf is fairly cheap.

Wow so many replies in such a short time Thank You I take on board all your comments.
    My own opinion on how good or bad a golf course is what the membership fee is and how long the waiting list is. Hence I base my attempt at justifying green fees as a % of membership to do different will involve visitors being ripped off or getting a bargain.
    I see several references to how much Foreigners (or those with plenty of money) will pay to play high profile courses.This I feel is due to clever marketing, snobbery or a fool and his money being easily parted.
    Is it very different from other services? If you want to go for a meal, a MacDonalds may set you back £10 but a Michelin starred restaurant maybe £200 so, are you being ripped off by the restaurant or is it just market pricing? I've paid a fair sum to play some fabulous courses which is a unique situation as when I played football I couldn't play Wembley and when I played tennis I couldn't play Wimbledon but I can, and have, played Royal St George's, Wentworth, Sunningdale etc etc
    removed list of clubs as they change too frequently !

Handicap 12.0

Head Pro

I think my place is £60 a round, keeps the riff raff from the local muni who play in tracksuit bottoms out.

Challenge Tour Pro

I get that we are all different and our incomes are different therefore what is a large fee for one may not be for another. I would never judge another on what they are happy to pay to play golf. Personally I have never paid more than £25 and I doubt I ever would. It is possible to play great courses at reduced fees now with the wide variety of sources available, including through the clubs themselves.

This means I am unlikely to play the very best courses within and outside the UK and Ireland. I am OK with that

Assistant Pro

Played Mill Ride today via GolfNow and the advertised price was £25, however I had a £10 voucher and so played for £15.

Money List Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Val View Post
    Who says it has to be fair? The price will be what people are prepared to pay for a round at any specific course, if itís too expensive for you then donít play it.
    Agree with this.

Also some clubs (as with mine) set the green fee "high" in order, to a point, to dissuade visitors as our place is busy 7 days a week with members. If visitors are willing to pay the fee then they are welcome, if we had it £25 a round we'd end up losing members I suspect.
    H'cap = 4.5

Quote Originally Posted by Val View Post
    Who says it has to be fair? The price will be what people are prepared to pay for a round at any specific course, if itís too expensive for you then donít play it.
    I see what you are saying, but thanks to the willingness visitors to pay astronomical prices to play, some courses are really out of reach for the everyday golfer. Some people can afford to play golf, but can only on a budget. SO they really can't justify paying 1/3 of their annual club membership just to play an open championship course. 200 to some of us is worth it to get play some of these courses, to others it would get them a divorce.

One of the things that I find beautiful about golf is the ability to walk the same turf as the legends. You can't take a penalty at Wembley, serve an ace on the centre court at Wimbledon or run a try in at Twickenham. But you can hole from the valley of sin on the 18th at the old course or make an ace on the 17th at Sawgrass. That is a beautiful thing with golf that other sports do not offer you.
    Last edited by MadAdey; 11-Jan-2018 at 04:33.
    Taylormade 2017 M1 9.5* (set to 8.5) Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff shaft.............Taylormade R15 TP 3 wood Speeder 757 Tour Spec Stiff shaft.............Mizuno MP18-MMC Fli Hi 19* KBS C-Taper lite Stiff............Mizuno MP15 4-PW Stiff KBS C-taper Tour 120...............MP-T4 50* & 58* TTDG Wedge Flex..............Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2 Notchback..................Handicap index 3.2............Member @ http://stoneycreekgolf.com

JINGS..... £75 for a round of golf!!! I'd rather give up. My thoughts are visitor fees be around 3% of membership fees which can vary between time of year weekend midweek etc and it should be called a 1 day membership. My home club (which is not very good but on the doorstep) membership is £650 and green fee £20 fits with my 3% idea but If on holiday I would not choose to play it. Being privately owned the members don't get a say in any of the organisation. Like the idea of a residents rate but think this would be seen as racist.
    Really, many courses round here have variable price-points depending on locals, residents, groups, members or tourists
    I'm sure i heard residents of St Andrews don't pay the same as tourists for the old course, and same for the area round Kingsbarns

Tourists aren't a race of people

Like the idea of a residents rate but think this would be seen as racist.
    Absolute nonsense. Giving a benefit to someone on the basis of where they reside is not racist.

When I stayed in the US residents of that state got different rates for golf, hotels and probably many other things. It encourages locals to use local services.
    Hcp - 4.6, lowest so far 😊

Like the idea of a residents rate but think this would be seen as racist.
    Not at all. Where I live there is a great course that was funded by the city and if you reside in Greensboro then you get a $10 discount and preferential tee booking.
    Taylormade 2017 M1 9.5* (set to 8.5) Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff shaft.............Taylormade R15 TP 3 wood Speeder 757 Tour Spec Stiff shaft.............Mizuno MP18-MMC Fli Hi 19* KBS C-Taper lite Stiff............Mizuno MP15 4-PW Stiff KBS C-taper Tour 120...............MP-T4 50* & 58* TTDG Wedge Flex..............Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2 Notchback..................Handicap index 3.2............Member @ http://stoneycreekgolf.com