Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

How much should a visitor pay?

I've been looking at holiday golf in the UK. Compared to membership fee some clubs will rip you off for more than 10% of the membership fee.
    What do you feel is a reasonable fee for a days golf?

Re: How much should a visitor pay?

I play a lot of different courses in my surrounding areas (Hillingdon, South Herts, Slough), on friendly knocks with mates, and we never pay more than £20-25 for a round. Sometimes we get a deal on TeeOffTimes phone app too, where their usual green fee might be 40 quid but you can get it on TeeOffTimes for 25 or something. I don't feel there's any need to pay any more than that for a decent round of golf. Would pay up to £30 for a really nice course we hadn't done before, that's probably the limit though for us.
    • TaylorMade R11-S (set to 12°)
    • Adams Speedline Fast 12 5 wood, 17°
    • Adams Blue 4 hybrid, 22°
    • Callaway Steelhead XR irons 5-PW
    • Cleveland RTX-3, 50°
    • Cleveland RTX Rotex 2.0, 56°
    • Odyssey Works 1W putter
    • DX2 Soft
    H'cap Jan Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Dec end yr review
    2017: 24 24.1 24.2 24.3 24.4 22.8 22.9 22.9 21.9

Journeyman Pro

I dont think the cost of membership is relevant to how much a visitor should pay.

My ball park is as follows:

Poor course - £15 - £20
    Average course - £25
    Good course (not top 200) - £35
    Very good course, periphary of top 200 - £50
    Outer reaches of top 200 - £65
    Top 100 - £80 - £100
    Open rota plus big names - £150 plus (doubt you'd get on for £150 actually, more like £180 base line)
    Handicap: 12

Quote Originally Posted by Canary_Yellow View Post
    I dont think the cost of membership is relevant to how much a visitor should pay.

My ball park is as follows:

Poor course - £15 - £20
    Average course - £25
    Good course (not top 200) - £35
    Very good course, periphary of top 200 - £50
    Outer reaches of top 200 - £65
    Top 100 - £80 - £100
    Open rota plus big names - £150 plus (doubt you'd get on for £150 actually, more like £180 base line)
    yes, what membership cost is has nothing to do with it, Royal Dornoch for instance would be something like 30% plus for a visitor fee, do people pay it hell yes its full of yanks with caddies most of the summer. its supply and demand at the top courses, if you want to play one in the top 10 in the UK you have to pay for the privilege. In the US i've heard silly money sprouted for some of their courses.

you are right about Open venues be surprised if any were less than £180 TBH prob more
    http://www.nairngolfclub.co.uk/

The Nairn Golf Club, Club Champion (handicap) 2017

Exactly... It's the same as anything else... depends on the quality of the course, and sometimes you can't answer it till you've played!!

Eg, Played Ellie last year on a lovely day, thoroughly enjoyed it. Paid £70. Thought that was higher end of reasonable price. Had I paid £50 ,wouldn't have batted an eyelid
    A bit Old School, Taylor Made Woods & Ping Irons! Jetspeeds and i25s
    Scotty flat stick
    Somedays they behave, others less so!
    SLDR sitting in the garage to remind the driver, "he can be replaced!"

Quote Originally Posted by Orikoru View Post
    I play a lot of different courses in my surrounding areas (Hillingdon, South Herts, Slough), on friendly knocks with mates, and we never pay more than £20-25 for a round. Sometimes we get a deal on TeeOffTimes phone app too, where their usual green fee might be 40 quid but you can get it on TeeOffTimes for 25 or something. I don't feel there's any need to pay any more than that for a decent round of golf. Would pay up to £30 for a really nice course we hadn't done before, that's probably the limit though for us.
    I'm the same as this. For a very special occasion, trip away I will spend more but for local golf these are my limits and I have done okay over the last few years. I would struggle to justify my own membership if I was coughing up £50 a round at other courses on a regular basis.
    Nike Covert 2.0 Driver, Nike Covert 3 Wood, Nike Covert 26° Hybrid, Ping G25 23° Hybrid, Cleveland CG16 Irons , Cleveland Wedges, Radius Classic No. 7 Putter

Its interesting, there is a club in NI which had their green fees too low, so the tourists didn't realise it was such a good course. A lot of the yanks want to play the best courses and are willing to pay that amount of money, put the green fee too low and people will think it is low quality. They have since put the fee up to £70 and it is a lot busier.

I have to say, I think the best approach would be to offer discounts to members who hold a GUI card or equivalent. The price of some of the courses is far too high and completely prices me out. As a local to some of these great courses, it would be nice to play them without having to sell a kidney. Obviously they are packed so it makes business sense to keep prices high. So it would be more like a gesture of good will to locals to lower the prices.
    H/C: 14.5 Clandeboye Golf Club, Bangor, Northern Ireland. Driver: 2016 M1- Project X Hzrdus black 6.0 . 3 wood: TM M2 HL 3 Iron: Srixon ZU45 Hybrids:TM RBZ Stage2 4. Irons: Ping I 5-PW. Wedges: SM6- 50, 56, 60. Putter: Odyssey 2-ball Fang Tank

It's true about the yanks and japs. I spoke to several secretaries when I went to Dublin last year and they said if the green fees aren't £150+ then they think the quality of the course is poor and won't play it.

Challenge Tour Pro

If it's a members club it's run for the benefit of the members so Members fees and visitor fees don't really come into the equation. The only real issue is pricing visitors fees too low making membership less appealing.

2015 Handicap: 19.1,19.3,17.7,15.8, 14.9, 14.3, 12.6, 13.1
    2016 Handicap 13.4, 12.8

Quote Originally Posted by Coffey View Post
    Its interesting, there is a club in NI which had their green fees too low, so the tourists didn't realise it was such a good course. A lot of the yanks want to play the best courses and are willing to pay that amount of money, put the green fee too low and people will think it is low quality. They have since put the fee up to £70 and it is a lot busier.
    i played with a guy at a Visit Scotland do a couple of years ago who worked for the PGA of America and he more or less said the same thing about most of the top Courses in Ireland. Americans were steering clear of RCD and Portrush because it was too cheap.... not any more though
    http://www.nairngolfclub.co.uk/

The Nairn Golf Club, Club Champion (handicap) 2017