Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Re: Match play or strokeplay ?

Quote Originally Posted by SwingsitlikeHogan View Post
    I'm thinking that my favourite format (as that's what we're talking) is Scratch Foursomes matchplay. Very tough - but very rewarding togetherness with the right partner - even better when you win
    We have that format as the morning game in County Seniors league matches, very satisfying when you win, undefeated in them last year

paddyk

i like most formats just matchplay 4balls can be a real pain to organise

Assistant Pro

If playing a 2 ball then matchplay, otherwise Stableford scoring.

I love the challenge of trying to beat my score in stroke play, but there’s something special about match play that gets my vote on this one.
    PING i25 3-U
    Taylormade R11S
    Glide wedge 54
    Vokey SM6 58
    Bettinardi mallet putter
    Taylormade TP5 ball
    Hcap 4.6

H4H challenge
    Chimpo1 V NWJocko
    4.6 V 4.6

Journeyman Pro Green Bay Hacker's Avatar

Could never get the hang of matchplay when I started playing golf, low light being a 9 & 7 thrashing in a winter league match for the club. Gave up all matchplay after that game for about 5 years. Started to get a bit of confidence over the last few years and learnt not to let my head go down if I lose a few early holes so I now enjoy the head to head challenges. To answer the question though, I still prefer strokeplay as there is a chance to reduce the handicap.
    Ping G400 driver, G400 5 wood, G400 2 Hybrid, Ping G20 irons 5-PW, Titleist 52, 60 Vokey wedges, Callaway Sure Out 56 wedge,Odyssey White Hot putter.

Enjoy match play. Over winter or if a social game during the summer its either match play if 2, catch the leader if 3 and 4BBB if 4 of us.
    Titleist 915 D3 7.5*
    Titleist 915 15*
    Titleist 913 19* 5 wood
    Titleist 915 24* hybrid ( or ping I25 3 iron)
    Titleist 915 27* hybrid
    Mizuno Fli Hi JPX (2012) 6 & 7 (or ap2 6&7 iron)
    Titleist 714ap2 8-gap
    Vokey SM 6 56* 14*bounce
    Vokey SM 5 k grind 60* 11*bounce
    Odyssey prototype 2ball black series putter
    handicap updated to --(2017)8.2---8.4---8.2---8.0---7.8--(2018)8.2...7.6...8.2....7.2..... 6.8

Match play for me. I’ve got a few bad holes in me and they are a killer in stroke play
    spray it about a bit and can't putt 🇿🇦

Assistant Pro

I get what some are saying regarding matchplay format . I’ve been in the position where you are giving another player a ridiculous amount of shots . Have to admit that can be a slog . If he plays 3 or 4 holes well and you’re not on the ball you’re struggling . I tend to play more against other family members . We’re re all of similar standard to it’s pretty much just a straight shoot out . The added bonus of a side bet to keep things interesting always helps .

Matchplay for me too, just can't beat the competitive nature of the 1 one 1 in my opinion. How you can beat someone playing better than you because they can't hold their game together when being metally tested.

I remember when I was junior playing a club match at home, I was have an absolute mare and my opponent was playing some very tidy golf, after 5 holes I 3-4 down. The 6th was a 500 yrd par 5, but got very little roll for some reason so played very long. My opponent drove off about 220 yards, I (much bigger in size) hit 300 yards, ball still rising as it passed his. The look on his face was brilliant, even after my awful start I knew I was back in the game.

Sure enough he thought he had to hit the ball further so really wound up and hit the ball OOB, conceding the hole to me, I ended up winning 4&3.

I suppose that's why I love matchplay, it's not just the match but there are numerous little battles going on at the same time during the match itself
    Golf Club - Hampton Court Palace GC Hanidcap - 8.0 In the bag - Driver: Titleist 909D3 3-Wood: Mizuno T-Zoid Irons: 2-9 Ping i3+ Wedges: Mizuno T7 48, 52, 54 and 60*Putter: Wilson Staff 8802

Matchplay
    Mizuno MP 18's muscleback TM M4 DriverTM M2 3 Wood Glenearn Golf Club