Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20
  1. #1
    Journeyman Pro 2blue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Happy Leeds,
    Posts
    1,755

    Managing Club KO Competitions

    Probably one of the hardest jobs in the Golf Club but entry lists will be going up soon.


    How does your Club ensure the rounds are played by their closing date, or close to??
    2Blue H/cap 10.3 ..... H4H H/cap Challenge against - Louise_a

    http://www.leedsgolfcentre.com/

  2. #2
    Hall of Famer Liverpoolphil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    39,112

    Re: Managing Club KO Competitions

    On IG the rounds have the date set up and if they don’t play by the date the system DQ them both and that’s it

    It’s how we also do it manually - there are no extensions until the semi final - if you don’t play by the date then both DQ

  3. #3
    Journeyman Pro Swinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    South Wiltshire
    Posts
    2,298

    Re: Managing Club KO Competitions

    It'll be interesting to see what happens at individual clubs with the new handicap system allowing up to 54 shots too.
    Golf is 90% Mental and 10% MENTAL

    Putting Advice

  4. #4
    Global Moderator Twire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Exeter..ish - Devon
    Posts
    3,422

    Re: Managing Club KO Competitions

    We have pretty much zero tolerance, unless it really is exceptional circumstances. Rules and dates are posted on sign up, so no excuses.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old.....We grow old because we stop playing.

  5. #5
    Journeyman Pro 2blue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Happy Leeds,
    Posts
    1,755

    Re: Managing Club KO Competitions

    Quote Originally Posted by Twire View Post
    We have pretty much zero tolerance, unless it really is exceptional circumstances. Rules and dates are posted on sign up, so no excuses.
    Well, yes... & what would they be??
    2Blue H/cap 10.3 ..... H4H H/cap Challenge against - Louise_a

    http://www.leedsgolfcentre.com/

  6. #6
    Medal Winner
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Newcastle upon Tyne
    Posts
    26

    Re: Managing Club KO Competitions

    I stopped playing in knock outs because of the problems with arranging games - my partner is on holiday, we can play on the last day and we will claim the match if you won't, or no contact details for example - and the failure of club officials to enforce play by dates. Then there is the handicap thing. My favourite example is the guy who told me he was off 23. That was 21 shots I was giving so I expressed my disbelief. Well, he said, I had 107 in the medal on Saturday. So six net birdies and a net eagle later I'm beaten 6 and 5. Someone told me later he shoots 107 every Saturday!
    My current club doesn't have knockouts.

  7. #7
    Global Moderator Twire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Exeter..ish - Devon
    Posts
    3,422

    Re: Managing Club KO Competitions

    Quote Originally Posted by 2blue View Post
    Well, yes... & what would they be??
    That's for the secretary to decide.... but would be something like the course closed for a week or so prior to the play date. Not much else gets by him.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old.....We grow old because we stop playing.

  8. #8
    Ryder Cup Winner patricks148's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Highlands
    Posts
    14,574

    Re: Managing Club KO Competitions

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Hip View Post
    I stopped playing in knock outs because of the problems with arranging games - my partner is on holiday, we can play on the last day and we will claim the match if you won't, or no contact details for example - and the failure of club officials to enforce play by dates. Then there is the handicap thing. My favourite example is the guy who told me he was off 23. That was 21 shots I was giving so I expressed my disbelief. Well, he said, I had 107 in the medal on Saturday. So six net birdies and a net eagle later I'm beaten 6 and 5. Someone told me later he shoots 107 every Saturday!
    My current club doesn't have knockouts.
    same here, i'm not sure why some at my club even sign up TBH, one guy even won one of them without playing a single game until the final because of byes.

  9. #9
    Ryder Cup Winner FairwayDodger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    10,793

    Re: Managing Club KO Competitions

    Quote Originally Posted by Swinger View Post
    It'll be interesting to see what happens at individual clubs with the new handicap system allowing up to 54 shots too.
    Low handicappers will increasingly stop entering.

  10. #10
    Journeyman Pro 2blue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Happy Leeds,
    Posts
    1,755

    Re: Managing Club KO Competitions

    Quote Originally Posted by Twire View Post
    That's for the secretary to decide.... but would be something like the course closed for a week or so prior to the play date. Not much else gets by him.
    Ah, yes, I see that...... just wondered what else they might consider to be exceptional
    'cos that does seem to be opening the door rather.
    I certainly like the IG facility for KO's, LiverpoolPhil.... neat!!

    Yes Mr H I also bother little with Club ones & find it easier to arrange things outside the Club in the Titleist, HDIDo, EnglandGolf, etc KO's....... still loads of bandits though, but that's another thing!!
    2Blue H/cap 10.3 ..... H4H H/cap Challenge against - Louise_a

    http://www.leedsgolfcentre.com/

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest Golf News

Mickelson “Embarrassed And Disappointed” After US Open Penalty

The five-time major winner has revealed that he is embarrassed and disappointed by his episode last week

June 20, 2018

Why Do Golfers Shout Fore?

What is the etymology of this golfing word of warning?

June 20, 2018

Five-Time Open Champion Peter Thomson Passes Away

The Australian, Peter Thomson, was one of golf’s finest players throughout the 1950s and 1960s, lifting the Claret Jug on five occasions

June 20, 2018

Jordan Spieth On Mickelson Incident: “I Laughed”

The Texan saw the funny side of Mickelson's moving ball debacle and didn't see the harm in it

June 20, 2018

Dad Makes Birdie After Son Finds Ball Down Animal Hole

A competitor in the PGA Professionals Championship at the weekend made an incredible birdie after his son retrieved it from down an animal hole

June 19, 2018