Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Re: Retrieving a card from the Comp Box

Quote Originally Posted by rosecott View Post
    As I've said more times than I've had hot dinners, it's not the existence of the signature that is important, it's a statement of "I've checked the gross scores with my marker".
    If I'm correct in that you can sign your card before you start, how is the signature, necessarily, proof that the scores have been checked...?
    Callaway clubs in a Callaway bag.

Handicap 7.9 at Whipsnade Park

H4H Handicap challenge Vs r0wly86

You might be a King or a Little Street Sweeper but sooner or later you dance with The Reaper...

Tour Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Imurg View Post
    If I'm correct in that you can sign your card before you start, how is the signature, necessarily, proof that the scores have been checked...?
    It isn't. It's really a known loophole in the rule. It has probably never been addressed as enforcing it would be virtually impossible.

So someone who signs their card before play, doesn't check scores but actually puts the right numbers down is in the clear but someone who forgets to sign the card but also puts the right numbers down is DQd.....
    Makes you wonder why signing the card is such a big deal......

You might be a King or a Little Street Sweeper but sooner or later you dance with The Reaper...

Lots of players at my club sign their card before they go out - a bit naughty but it is then down to their marker to confirm their scores at the end. If he/she and the player disagree then the conflict should be resolved before any card is submitted - at least its signed !!

Tour Winner

So someone who signs their card before play, doesn't check scores but actually puts the right numbers down is in the clear but someone who forgets to sign the card but also puts the right numbers down is DQd.....
    The player doesn't enter his own scores on the card. He is trusting his marker not himself.

Head Pro

Signed any cheques or other documents lately? Your signature verifies that you're in agreement with the contents.

Quote Originally Posted by rulie View Post
    Signed any cheques or other documents lately? Your signature verifies that you're in agreement with the contents.
    As I said, if you sign before you play how is that agreeing with the contents..?
    If your card is signed before play, what is to stop your marker keeping the card and putting it in the box without checking scores?

As I said, if you sign before you play how is that agreeing with the contents..?
    If your card is signed before play, what is to stop your marker keeping the card and putting it in the box without checking scores?
    Answer - nothing.

Head Pro

It's your responsibility to check your scores. Your signature verifies that you have done this and that they are correct - signing the card beforehand is done at your own risk, but it's not against the Rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Hacker-Leeds View Post
    Sorry, 2Blue, but you know my views !

Your scorecard is YOUR property until it is handed to the committee (normally by putting it the comp box) and you are responsible for it. For me, walk off the 18th, agree scores with your marker, SIGN YOUR CARD, and after that you have done your best.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hacker-Leeds View Post
    PS - to my first post on this.....

Just like Royal Mail, my view is that - once the card has gone in the comp box 'slot' it is submitted to the committee, and cannot be retrieved. Try asking a man emptying the post-box if you can have a letter back that you didn't mean to send ! Simple rule, for me, post your card, and that's it - if you trust someone else to do it, more fool you.
    It's a big welcome, indeed, to the Forum for the man who commissioned the creation of these Camouflaged Golf Balls, one of which he gave to, friend, Sandy of GoKarts to make this fine Trophy... & the rest is now history.... Just hope he keeps out of trouble!! haha
    H4H - GoKart Trophy.jpg
    2Blue H/cap 10.3 ..... H4H H/cap Challenge against - Louise_a

http://www.leedsgolfcentre.com/