Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Club Champion

hybrids that are square at address?

I bought the PXG hybrids and am struggling with the fact that they appear to be extremely closed at address. I find i either have to open the face (or what appears to be open to me) at address and have this fear of the ball flying right or I hit them and they have this draw that I am not comfortable with.

I don't really know what makes them appear closed - maybe it's the offset? But my pxg irons are slightly offset and they don't appear closed at all. The fact that the head is just plain black (no lines to use for alignment) doesn't help at all. I've already moved ALL the weights to favor a fade, but the ball still draws from time to time. I hardly miss to the right (which is my normal miss).

1) Are hybrids normally closed at address?
    2) Does anyone know of hybrid clubs that are SQUARE at address? Is there even such a thing?
    3) Any experience hitting these?

Thanks,
    Sandy

Challenge Tour Pro

Re: hybrids that are square at address?

I have experienced the same thing with many drivers, fairway woods and hybrids. Its why I only ever buy 'pro' versions of the same clubs. These are supposed to be harder to hit than the non pro version as they have less forgiveness but as I can't stand looking at a closed face I have no other choice.

Most clubs come with a pro or better player version (for example I play X2 hot hybrids and they come both standard and X2 hot pro). The pro versions always sit square, sometimes a little open - but I like that.

Quote Originally Posted by jusme View Post
    I have experienced the same thing with many drivers, fairway woods and hybrids. Its why I only ever buy 'pro' versions of the same clubs. These are supposed to be harder to hit than the non pro version as they have less forgiveness but as I can't stand looking at a closed face I have no other choice.

Most clubs come with a pro or better player version (for example I play X2 hot hybrids and they come both standard and X2 hot pro). The pro versions always sit square, sometimes a little open - but I like that.
    Think the standard X2 Hot sit square at address also; certainly looks like it to me with mine when I'm over the ball. I may be wrong on that though.
    Pumpherston Golf Club

In The Bag

(Driver) Taylormade Aeroburner 12deg
    (3-wood) Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 15deg
    (5-wood) Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 18deg
    (Hybrid) Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 21deg
    (Irons) PING Karsten 5-SW Green Dot, PING Tour 58deg
    (Putter) PING Sigma G Tyne
    (Balls) Taylormade RBZ Stage2

When you say "closed at address" I assume this means that, when the club is put down withe the sole flat to the turf, the face appears closed. When I take my grip I have the club in the air & I grip it so that the face looks square relative to my grip. I then put the club down behind the ball & take my stance, guaranteeing that the club is square. I also hover the club, so I suppose this might stop the club slipping into a closed position. I can honestly say that it's never been a problem with any clubs I've owned.
    Taylormade M1 9, Oban Devotion 6 Regular
    Taylormade SLDR 3 wood
    Taylormade SLDR 5 wood
    TaylormadeSLDR Rescue 22
    Mizuno JPX850 forged irons 4 - PW
    Titelist Vokey 50 & 58 wedges
    Cure RX4 putter (heavyweight magic wand)
    Motocaddy S7 Remote
    Vice Pro Plus ball
    H/C 10 @ SSGC.co.uk (9.5, whole season to get back to single figures)

Money List Winner

Stick a short allignent stick to the club face and get used to what it looks like when square.

You need to convince your subconscious.

It's partly the nature of the hybrid clubhead, partly the huge variation between leading edge and club face across models and partly the range of positions that people seem to use them in!

Finally, there's no doubt that people square up hybrids to get the face behind the ball and given it a good clout....but of course no one on here falls for that one.
    some metal woods,
    any old irons,
    Pick up balls....

12.2 and moving the wrong way again...

Swap you for some Adams hybrids if you fancy it, I've got 16, 19 and 22.

They may be slightly older than yours

1W, 3W, 3h Titleist 915
    4h Adams A7OS
    5i - 9i Mizuno MP54
    46, 50, 54, 58* Vokey SM2
    Odyssey RX7
    H/c 9.4

take a look at the 2016 M1 hybrid head, design as an anti left hybrid and sits very open compared to other hybrids (and can move the weight into the toe to help too)
    In the bag:
    TM M1 9.5 degree
    TM M1 17 degree hybrid
    Orka RS1/RS3 Irons 3-PW
    Orka RS10 Wedges 52,56,60
    Ping Ketsch

Handicap: 7

could just be an illusion, i've a Mizuno hybrid that's 2 deg open .. looks very closed at address to my eye, or could be my Imagination

Tour Winner

what part of the club head are you actually trying to line-up square to target at address ?

& do you have the clubhead soled on the ground ?

or maybes it could be more a part of a grip hold &/or set-up alignments & posture issue

assuming a right handed golfer is your trail forearm higher than the lead forearm at set-up?
    the_coach Handicap Index +4.2
    Driver: TM M3 9.5 M Tensei Orange TX
    3metal:TM M3 15 M Tensei CK Pro White TX
    5metal: TM M3 19 M Tensei Ck Pro White TX
    Irons 3 - 9 Callaway Apex Pro 16 KBS Tour C-Taper S+ w125g
    Wedges: Cleveland 588 rtg's 46 bounce 8 KBS 610 S+ w125g. 52 bounce 8 KBS 610 S+ w125g. Fourteen RM 12 (forged) 58 bounce 8 KBS Hi-Rev X-S w135g.
    Putter: Scotty Cameron 2004 Newport Beach 1.5 Milled Titleist Pro V1x -

guest100718

I have the XR hybrids, very nice they are too, they look quite chunky but do sit nice at address.