Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Money List Winner

Oprah for president?

Just reading about how Oprah Winfrey made a powerful speech last night at the Golden Globe awards. It was suggested that she could run for president of the USA.
    Now don't get me wrong I have had a skinful of career politicians in this country who have never done a days proper work and have no connection to the common man, even though they feel our pain. Now Oprah certainly has worked her way up. But to run for Presidancy. What political experience does she have. Would you trust her? Where is the happy medium? Now am sure if Trump can do it she could. Just could not imagine Jeremy Kyle running for it over here as a comparison. Has it got that bad in America that American politicians are being overlooked for celebs now.

Re: Oprah for president?

My initial thoughts when I first saw the speech was, those gullible Americans will be all over that and she’ll be punted as a future president.
    Media rules sadly.

A quote from Back to the Future comes to mind. "Ronald Reagan is President, and who's Vice President, Jerry Lewis?"
    Taylormade M1 9½°, Oban Devotion 6 Regular
    Taylormade SLDR 3 wood
    Taylormade SLDR 5 wood
    TaylormadeSLDR Rescue 22°
    Mizuno JPX850 forged irons 4 - PW
    Titelist Vokey 50 & 58 wedges
    Cure RX4 putter (heavyweight magic wand)
    Motocaddy S7 Remote
    Vice Pro Plus ball
    H/C 10 @ SSGC.co.uk (9.5, whole season to get back to single figures)

Self gratifying claptrap.
    Play it cool Trigger!

And that Natalie Portman announced “the all-male nominees” for best director. Seriously? Maybe, just maybe, it's because they were the best. Bluddy women! They want everything without even trying.
    In My Bag
    Driver - Adams Superspeed 10.5 deg
    Hybrid - Adam Superspeed
    Irons - Cleveland CG16
    Putter - Yes Sandy or some other one that wrecks my score.
    Balls - Nike PD Soft. Until I've lost them all.

I remember seeing the Running Man, classic Arnie, and it being described as a satire on how modern tv will develop and incorporate real life. I just enjoyed it as an Arnie film of the period to be honest, violent with some wisecracks. However, Trump as President, Oprah running against him, it is coming true. TV taking over real life.

How stupid are Americans? Neither have experience of running a town, a state or any other form of office. Yes, they have huge business interests but they are not running countries. They are tv personalities. Heaven help us if this trend crosses the Atlantic. Will Ant & Dec run as a dream ticket? Who gets to be PM though? Michael McIntyre anyone, seems a nice chap on the BBC. What a bunch of clowns.
    Nike Covert 2.0 Driver, Nike Covert 3 Wood, Nike Covert 26° Hybrid, Ping G25 23° Hybrid, Cleveland CG16 Irons , Cleveland Wedges, Odyssey White Hot RX No. 1 Putter

To run for US President first thing you need is cash and oodles of it, in that respect most suitable candidates probably can't afford to get to the position of being able to run for Pres, leaves the super wealthy of which Oprah is one. Of celebrities she at least does come across as quite mature and sensible but unqualified, yes.

Clint Eastwood, Jesse Ventura and Arnie have all been state governers or city mayors so there is a small trend of celebs doing politics in US and it could be argued at least they've got political experience although Arnie wasn't born in US so is ineligible for Pres.
    Opposite to here where failed politicians try and become celebs - see Ed Balls, Kez Dugdale, George Galloway, Nigel Farage, Anne Widdicombe, Lembit Opik, Michael Portillo etc etc.

Quote Originally Posted by maxfli65 View Post
    Opposite to here where failed politicians try and become celebs - see Ed Balls, Kez Dugdale, George Galloway, Nigel Farage, Anne Widdicombe, Lembit Opik, Michael Portillo etc etc.
    Safer for the rest of the world when it is that way round though.

You make a very good point about becoming President though. It really is a money game which is a very sad state of affairs.
    Nike Covert 2.0 Driver, Nike Covert 3 Wood, Nike Covert 26° Hybrid, Ping G25 23° Hybrid, Cleveland CG16 Irons , Cleveland Wedges, Odyssey White Hot RX No. 1 Putter

Can see Ivanka Trump up against Oprah in the final presidential They voted Donald in so why not?
    The future prospects don’t look good.
    Forever trying.

I thought the next US President was going to be Dwayne The Rock Johnson.