Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Re: TV Golf and golf in decline...

Youngsters watch Netflix/YouTube/instagram etc... They donít flick through bbc channels to see whatís on so having golf back on the beeb wouldnít make much difference any longer. Did love the open on bbc growing up but that shipped has sailed.

Head Pro

As a kid I used to love watching International Celebrity Golf ( think that is what it was called)on BBC2 with my Grandad

Assistant Pro

Quote Originally Posted by davidg2010uk View Post
    Youngsters watch Netflix/YouTube/instagram etc... They donít flick through bbc channels to see whatís on so having golf back on the beeb wouldnít make much difference any longer. Did love the open on bbc growing up but that shipped has sailed.
    If truth be told . The Beebs coverage of the Open became excruciatingly bad . The coverage of PGA this year on the beeb was laughable . Sky are now treating it as the showpiece it is . The Sky Open zone segments are brilliant . Agree with your point though . Growing up , The Open on the BBC is what got me into golf .

Having moved to one from more traditional clubs I am finding that the hotel courses that are so looked down upon are the most forward thinking. Flexible membership, relaxed family atmosphere and the added benefit of other facilities for family members who do not golf.
    The atmosphere at my old club slowly drove me into being a carpark golfer. This weekend I spent 3 hours in the bar afterwards even though I was not drinking. May be a small thing but being able to get out of my wet golf gear, put on jeans, trainers aand bd a rugby shirt and relax with friends and watch the football like I would in the pub made all the difference. The place was packed with families having lunch and enjoying themselves.
    Also, women have competitions at weekends, there are loads of mixed comps, everyone one is welcome to the saturday morning roll up irrespective of age or gender and the junior section is thriving.

Quote Originally Posted by Crow View Post
    And yet golf is on the decline there also.
    They say it is, but I think it is a regional thing when you say about a decline over here. Go to California, it is stupidly expensive. I have paid over $50 mid week to play on a very average course there. But out in North Carolina I can pick up games for under $40 on a top notch course during the week. California you will pay in excess of $5000 a year to join a very average course that you would probably get bored playing week in week out. In North Carolina you can play at an amazing course like I do for $1800 a year. This is probably very similar in the UK when you compare the London area to the north.

There are several areas in the US where golf is so expensive younger people just can't afford to play, let alone have a dad that wants to take his kid golfing. Imagine having to pay over $10000 a year for you and your kid to be a member at an average course. At my place they have a family membership for $3000 a year that includes your wife and kids up to the age of 23 if still in full time education. I think the UK could benefit from having the family type of membership that I see round here.

Take your normal course in the UK that you pay around 1K a year for, then put in a family membership that would include your kids up to 23 whilst in full time education. That would go a long way to keeping younger people playing, which I think is what is lacking now in the game.
    Taylormade 2017 M1 9.5* (set to 8.5) Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff shaft.............Taylormade R15 TP 3 wood Speeder 757 Tour Spec Stiff shaft.............Mizuno MP18-MMC Fli Hi 19* KBS C-Taper lite Stiff............Mizuno MP15 4-PW Stiff KBS C-taper Tour 120...............MP-T4 50* & 58* TTDG Wedge Flex..............Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2 Notchback..................Handicap index 3.2............Member @ http://stoneycreekgolf.com

Journeyman Pro

Quote Originally Posted by GB72 View Post
    Having moved to one from more traditional clubs I am finding that the hotel courses that are so looked down upon are the most forward thinking. Flexible membership, relaxed family atmosphere and the added benefit of other facilities for family members who do not golf.
    The atmosphere at my old club slowly drove me into being a carpark golfer. This weekend I spent 3 hours in the bar afterwards even though I was not drinking. May be a small thing but being able to get out of my wet golf gear, put on jeans, trainers aand bd a rugby shirt and relax with friends and watch the football like I would in the pub made all the difference. The place was packed with families having lunch and enjoying themselves.
    Also, women have competitions at weekends, there are loads of mixed comps, everyone one is welcome to the saturday morning roll up irrespective of age or gender and the junior section is thriving.
    the Hertfordshire is like this and I love the idea of it.. if it was closer id be tempted.. nice course

they are building a 27 hole course 10 mins from me.. ingrebourne links... the first 9 holes was open last june.. the next 9 opens this june and last 9 june after,, its suppose to be a very nice course (built with the soil they dug from the crossrail tunnels) they have a beautiful clubhouse with gym and restaurant there.. going for the country club feel.. I have to say when I do come round to joining a club it will prob be that its so local and has all those things available.. it is also home to my driving range and 9 hole par 3 course just next to the range... they have done wonders with the land tbh
    In the bag
    TM M2 10.5 Driver
    TM M2 3 wood
    Ping G15 5 wood
    TM Jetspeed 3 Hybrid
    TM Jetspeed 4 Hybrid
    Titliest 716 ap1 6-PW
    SM5 vokey wedges 50, 54 , 58 degree
    Odyssey White Hot Pro 2.0 2 Ball with superstroke mid 2.0 grip

Head Pro

Have we actually got any access to viewer numbers of the Open Championship when it was broadcast on both the BBC and Sky simultaneously? Would be interested to see who had the higher numbers. Clearly academic on-going, but with Sky showing every ET and PGA event I'd guess that over the course of a year, far more sets of eyes watch professional golf now than pre-satellite TV.

i'm not sure the decline is TV related after all during the time its been in decline it was on Terrestrial TV, its only been on sky a couple of years.

A change in attitude is partly responsible IMO. Golf is quite difficult to pick up unless you are sporty and people now want things easy and handed on a plate
    http://www.nairngolfclub.co.uk/

The Nairn Golf Club, Club Champion (handicap) 2017

Money List Winner

Find it strange when I read about golf in decline. Our golf club is doing very well. It is managed very well and encourages golf at all levels from kids to women and seniors. It is a club and course that has changed massively over the four/five years I have been a member?
    I can understand that courses close but the golf courses get to a " level" if that's the word, that land is worth more as housing than as a golf course.
    The prices that some clubs charge do price some members out of that club. But if clubs are not proactive they are not helping themselves or the game in general.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Bamford View Post
    Have we actually got any access to viewer numbers of the Open Championship when it was broadcast on both the BBC and Sky simultaneously? Would be interested to see who had the higher numbers. Clearly academic on-going, but with Sky showing every ET and PGA event I'd guess that over the course of a year, far more sets of eyes watch professional golf now than pre-satellite TV.
    I donít think the Open was ever broadcast simultaneously by both Sky and BBC - the only Comp that was broadcast simultaneously was when they both have the Masters on the Saturday and Sunday and the last figures I saw have BBC having a significant amount of more viewers. I donít expect more people watch golf than they used too even with more events on Sky - mainly because the Open on its own had upwards of 5/6 mil viewers alone and the because ever audience for golf on Sky was just over a million.

Sky have been showing for over a two decades now - they have had the RC from early 2000ís plus ET and US Majors - itís only recently they got the Masters and Open

But the ďdeclineĒ in golf imo isnít a decline as such - for me itís going back to the levels pre 2000. When Faldo/Seve etc came along there was a bit of a boom in golf and with that a lot of new people arrived to play it plus loads of new course - some good some not so and until 2007/8 golf was at a unusually high number for a minority sport - then the recession hit and with golf being an expensive sport to play was hit - course that were of a great standard starting to feel the pain and lots of part tine golfera stopped playing

What that has left with is the good courses and well run golf clubs which imo will have a healthy level of members plus there is plenty of pay and play type courses around that will cater for the social golfers

So for me in summary golf as a minority sport is in a good place - itís not in decline and there are plenty of courses and clubs around

Golf on telly is a different subject and for me itís something that is going to change over the next 5 years where one broadcaster wonít have the monopoly and as with other sports events will go to online streaming sites