Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
    Blackballed

TV Golf and golf in decline...

We are all aware golf has been in decline for a while now and this has possibly been discussed many times before, but not by me, so, does anyone agree with me that it's not just finances that have caused the decline in player numbers but the lack of TV coverage from the terrestrial channels ???

I only have cooncil telly now and other than YT, I never get a chance to see any nowadays.

Re: TV Golf and golf in decline...

Quote Originally Posted by Cabby View Post
    We are all aware golf has been in decline for a while now and this has possibly been discussed many times before, but not by me, so, does anyone agree with me that it's not just finances that have caused the decline in player numbers but the lack of TV coverage from the terrestrial channels ???

I only have cooncil telly now and other than YT, I never get a chance to see any nowadays.
    The blame has to lie with the BBC (and other mainstream broadcasters). They simply didn't want to invest in showing it and the BBC even pulled out of their Open coverage a year early so it showed how highly they ranked the most important event in the calendar. Having it on Sky won't please some but you have to admire their dedication, showing as much as they do and they do look to improve content. Granted some of their presenters could do with changing but you can say that about many televised sports

Assistant Pro

I honestly still believe a lot of the problems are at the golf clubs themselves . Golf has probably never been so marketable.

Golf clubs can be intimidating places for a youngsters trying to get their foot in the door . There is still a stigma attached to golf clubs and even though itís the 21st century itís still not entirely unfounded . A lot of clubs need to relax their whole attitude to not just what happens on the course but also the clubhouse .

Blackballed

Quote Originally Posted by GMC1981 View Post
    . A lot of clubs need to relax their whole attitude to not just what happens on the course but also the clubhouse .

Interesting, what kinda things do you refer to ??

Blackballed

you only have to see how people get upset on here about where to put the rake in a bunker or changing shoes in the car park to understand how stuck in it ways the game really is, despite some clubs allowing jeans in the clubhouse.

Assistant Pro

My club still insists on certain attire and no mobile phones on . This is the 21st century . As much as itís not great to see young adults with their heads stuck in a phone . Itís the way of the world now and we need to roll with it . The whole attitude needs modernised . I honestly donít know the answer . But we need to make golf clubs more attractive to the younger generation or clubs will be closing all over the place in 30 years time . Iíve played a lot of golf in the States and their whole attitude to the game is much more relaxed .

My club still insists on certain attire and no mobile phones on . This is the 21st century . As much as itís not great to see young adults with their heads stuck in a phone . Itís the way of the world now and we need to roll with it . The whole attitude needs modernised . I honestly donít know the answer . But we need to make golf clubs more attractive to the younger generation or clubs will be closing all over the place in 30 years time . Iíve played a lot of golf in the States and their whole attitude to the game is much more relaxed .
    And yet golf is on the decline there also.
    Clubs - Various wooden woods. xVarious bladed irons. xVarious strange old putters. xxxIt's not all about the score. xx
    Handicap - 12.0
    2018 HFH Handicap Challenge vs Richart & Bigfoot

What decline?

Blackballed

Quote Originally Posted by paddyk View Post
    you only have to see how people get upset on here about where to put the rake in a bunker or changing shoes in the car park to understand how stuck in it ways the game really is, despite some clubs allowing jeans in the clubhouse.
    Ye I can see the sort of thing you may be inferring to, but I guess traditionalists have kept up the standard for all these years.

Agreed, the clubs need to modernise but the problem it may bring, and I'm no being specific about phones is where does it lead to ?/

What I always loved about golf was it's high standards, dress, etiquette, honour, not many sports can hold a candle to golf in that manner.

I read golf is in decline all the time, but, from what I see (maybe Iím in n the minority), clubs around me are enjoying higher levels of membership, we and neighbouring clubs have record levels of juniors, and I think the mini resurgence is because of the return of the British Open, the PGA at Wentworth, and great work by Sky as to the coverage and investment they put into their coverage of the open.

Junior memberships at clubs in the NW are also becoming extremely reasonable prices and great value for money.

I might be miles off the mark but Iíd be interested to see some stats.
    H/cap 6.7,