Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Assistant Pro

Re: Online dating, anyone done it.

I met my wife on a dating app when she 'supposedly' only joined because she was goaded into it by a mate. And she was lucky to meet me!! We have been together 6 years (2 years married) with a wee gem of a 1 yr old boy.

Before I met my wife, I have always had great experiences with dating websites/apps. I always talked and swapped pictures for a long time before meeting up - always been a good laugh. Had one weirdo who sent me pics of another woman but I figured that out quite quickly!!

If you are vigilant and have patience getting to know someone by talking to them over the phone for a while you could always know if they were right for you or not.

PS: If only I had know of golf dating sites as someone has brought up previously lol Mrs hates golf and with a lil nipper in tow I may have to shelve it for a bit when I have to ferry him around the place so he can follow his hobbies.
    Handicap:
    2017 22.7<22.8<23.1>21.9>21.5>17.6<17.9<18.3
    2018 18.3 (Going the wrong way!)

In my bag:
    PING G Alta 55 Driver
    Taylormade Aeroburner 3W Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Graphite Shaft (regular)
    PING G Alta 70 Hybrid 3
    Ping G Series Crossover 4 -Alta 70 Shaft (regular)
    Ping G30 5i - SW
    Cleveland Golf TFI 2135 1.0 (Putter)
    http://www.thebursteadgolfclub.com/

I think the days of going into town on the pull aren't what they used to be. Getting dressed-up and trying to find the club with the most women. Building-up the courage to try a dodgy pick-up line, or trying to work-out whether a bird was single or not. I was never stupid enough to buy people drinks, but I saw many a mate spend a fortune on a bird's drinks, only for her to jump in a taxi and bail, without not even as much as giving a number.

On dating websites you can find someone with the same intentions as you, and the same interests quite quickly. You kind of know where you stand. Yes, there are the few weirdos, but the large majority are there just to meet people with the same intentions. I know it takes away the thrill of the chase, but you can quite literally meet your partner from the sofa. It is very convenient. You could say an efficient way to meet a partner. Cheaper than going out, less time-consuming, and your instantly matched-up with someone who has something in common with you.

I read an article about the theory behind the big dating apps. One theory was that the sites put the most swiped-right people at the top of the pile for a new member. That way the new member sees the most attractive people first, which gets them hooked and wanting more.

Quote Originally Posted by RollinThunder View Post
    I read an article about the theory behind the big dating apps. One theory was that the sites put the most swiped-right people at the top of the pile for a new member. That way the new member sees the most attractive people first, which gets them hooked and wanting more.
    That isn't a theory, in Tinder it's absolutely true. New members and paid members also get bumped nearer the front of the queue.
    2015 = Worst golf season in memory - End handicap 15.2 - now with added 1.0 after review = 16.2

Tour Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by Liverbirdie View Post
    Yep, been doing it for 6-7 years now.

Been with people from all over the UK, men and women, some old and some barely legal. Also had the pleasure of doing it in groups, which can be fun. I've tried to talk the missus into it, but she doesnt fancy it just yet. Met some who are very straight-laced and some who are downright wierdoes, but life is a Minestrone........
    We are taking about GM forum arent we - internet dating for golfers, as Junior's missus calls it.
    You caught me out there !!

Q-School Graduate

My 24yo son is a big user of Tinder, last weekend he was out 3 nights running with 3 different girls. He has absolutely no interest in a long term relationship, he only wants a bit of "action" and seems to be getting plenty.

He was telling me about a new app which is like Tinder, but with this one, the girl makes the initial contact. He loves that, because he knows they are interested from the get-go.

All a bit sordid I suppose, but if I was young, free and single, I'd be out there filling my boots!

Quote Originally Posted by rudebhoy View Post
    All a bit sordid I suppose, but if I was young, free and single, I'd be out there filling my boots!
    One problem - they'd see your picture first

Met my missus ages ago in a "chat room" when they were all the rage. We "chatted" for a couple of months I guess before swapping phone numbers, arrange to meet and the rest, as they say, is history.
    Been together now for 17 years, married for 10. Couldn't be happier.
    Cooden Beach Centenary Betterball Champion 2012 with Richart Handicap 13.0 Member http://www.coodenbeachgc.com/ Nike Covert 2.0 VRS Driver, 3 & 5 woods.TaylorMade RSi1 4-LWYes Tracy Putter. THIS IS THE YEAR OF THE KNOB.