Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Wedge Lofts Gapping

Sorry, I know this sort of thing has been asked a hundred times, but this'll be the first time I've bought a set of wedges so want to get it right. And apologies in advance for the length.

I've recently bought Steelhead XR irons which are 5 to PW. I have a 50 gap wedge but I think I can still get 50 or 60 quid for selling it so I plan to do that and put it towards an actual pair or set of matching wedges.

The looked up the lofts on the Steelheads and they are really strong. Through the set they're as follows:
    5 6 7 8 9 P
    23 26 30 34.5 39 44
    I'm a bit caught in two minds. I was thinking of just getting a pair that were 50 & 54 initially. Then I thought that's too big a gap from the 44 PW to the 50 gap - however going up through the irons gaps increase anyway. From 9 to P it's 5, so following that on I'd be looking at a 49 & 54/55 maybe (but odd number wedges seem to be less common, so rounding up could even be 50 & 56?).

However, I often see from other people's bags in their signatures here that people seem to bring the gaps closer together at the wedge end. So I was considering maybe getting a set of three at 48/52/56 or something like that? I really don't know what would be best.

(Please note I already bankrupted myself getting the irons so fitting sessions and gapping sessions and the like are well off the table right now. I'm literally just wanting to pick up a second hand set of wedges here.)
    • TaylorMade R11-S (12)
    • Adams Speedline Fast 12 5 wood (17)
    • Benross HTX 3 hybrid (20)
    • Callaway Steelhead XR irons 5-PW
    • Cleveland RTX-3 (50)
    • Cleveland RTX Rotex 2.0 (56)
    • Odyssey Works 1W putter
    • DX2 Optix
    H'cap J F M A M J J A S O N D Review
    2017: 24 24.2 24.4 22.8 22.9 22.9 21.9
    2018: 22.0 21.2

Re: Wedge Lofts Gapping

To be quite honest, the loft gaps don't have that much of an impact. It is the distance you hit them that you need to work out.

For example, I have a 45 degree PW, then a 50, 56, 60. Which is basically 5 degrees between them. My main issue is that my PW goes about 120 and my 50 goes about 100. I find myself with the 110 yard shot and really struggle to play a knock down PW. I have decided (subject to some testing) with my next set to go for a 48, 54 and 60 as I think the stronger 48 wedge will plug that gap but that only leaves a 3 degree gap between the pw and the 48.

Although, with my 56 and 60, I very very rarely play a full shot with them. It is normally pitches and chips and the 60 only really comes out for the bunkers so at this end of the bag it doesn't really matter about the max distance i can hit them.

It is quite a tough subject to advise on, if I were you, i would go for the 50 & 56, if you are not going to test and they are going to be a cheaper set. That would give you your 6 degree gap between the clubs and hopefully give you some consistent gapping.
    H/C: 13.9 Clandeboye Golf Club, Bangor, Northern Ireland. Driver: Callaway GBB Epic Subzero. 3 wood: TM SLDR Tour Hybrids: TM M1 2017 3 - TM RBZ Stage2 4. Irons: Ping G 5-PW. Wedges: SM6- 50, 56, 60. Putter: Odyssey 2-ball Fang Tank

Here's a picture of all my wedges

CIMG0759.jpg

Please note the loft and bounce on them.

Get yourself a 50 and a 56 and a lesson on how to use them.
    Then practice

BUYING NEW WEDGES WILL NOT IMPROVE YOUR SHORT GAME.

I find myself with the 110 yard shot and really struggle to play a knock down PW.
    Do yourself a favour and have a lesson on the knock down shot

Mad inventor of the www.v-easy.co.uk A knowledgeable person knows lots of stuff, a wise person keeps it to themself

Quote Originally Posted by Coffey View Post
    To be quite honest, the loft gaps don't have that much of an impact. It is the distance you hit them that you need to work out.

For example, I have a 45 degree PW, then a 50, 56, 60. Which is basically 5 degrees between them. My main issue is that my PW goes about 120 and my 50 goes about 100. I find myself with the 110 yard shot and really struggle to play a knock down PW. I have decided (subject to some testing) with my next set to go for a 48, 54 and 60 as I think the stronger 48 wedge will plug that gap but that only leaves a 3 degree gap between the pw and the 48.

Although, with my 56 and 60, I very very rarely play a full shot with them. It is normally pitches and chips and the 60 only really comes out for the bunkers so at this end of the bag it doesn't really matter about the max distance i can hit them.

It is quite a tough subject to advise on, if I were you, i would go for the 50 & 56, if you are not going to test and they are going to be a cheaper set. That would give you your 6 degree gap between the clubs and hopefully give you some consistent gapping.
    Unfortunately will be hard to work out until I've already bought some, haha.

To be fair I have had similar to you - I would expect to hit my old PW (which was around the same loft I believe) 120 yards, whereas my current Cleveland 50 goes about 100 yards on a solid contact. Leaving me a question mark when I need to go 110. And with these new Steelheads, if anything they're designed to go further, so on that basis I think I should probably get a 48 wedge in the bag.
    • TaylorMade R11-S (12)
    • Cleveland RTX-3 (50)
    • DX2 Optix

Journeyman Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Orikoru View Post
    Sorry, I know this sort of thing has been asked a hundred times, but this'll be the first time I've bought a set of wedges so want to get it right. And apologies in advance for the length.

I've recently bought Steelhead XR irons which are 5 to PW. I have a 50 gap wedge but I think I can still get 50 or 60 quid for selling it so I plan to do that and put it towards an actual pair or set of matching wedges.

The looked up the lofts on the Steelheads and they are really strong. Through the set they're as follows:
    5 6 7 8 9 P
    23 26 30 34.5 39 44
    I'm a bit caught in two minds. I was thinking of just getting a pair that were 50 & 54 initially. Then I thought that's too big a gap from the 44 PW to the 50 gap - however going up through the irons gaps increase anyway. From 9 to P it's 5, so following that on I'd be looking at a 49 & 54/55 maybe (but odd number wedges seem to be less common, so rounding up could even be 50 & 56?).

However, I often see from other people's bags in their signatures here that people seem to bring the gaps closer together at the wedge end. So I was considering maybe getting a set of three at 48/52/56 or something like that? I really don't know what would be best.

(Please note I already bankrupted myself getting the irons so fitting sessions and gapping sessions and the like are well off the table right now. I'm literally just wanting to pick up a second hand set of wedges here.)
    I eco what Bob says.. lessons are better than wedges

However! when it comes to gapping . I like you found myself with OCD gapping last year.. my wedges went from P (43) to my gap (50) so I bought a 46 degree .. ended up stop carrying the 43... but now I carry the 43 and sold the 46

My pro explained whilst the lofts are cranked up the distance is the same.. they make the clubs forgiving which adds height so they reduce loft to balance it out and get the same result

so my 43 PW and my 50 gap (which is a vokey) are perfectly gapped... I go 54 and 58 after that.. prob don't need the 58 im better with the 54
    In the bag
    TM M2 10.5 Driver
    TM M2 3 wood
    Ping G15 5 wood
    TM Jetspeed 3 Hybrid
    TM Jetspeed 4 Hybrid
    Titliest 716 ap1 6-PW
    SM5 vokey wedges 50, 54 , 58 degree
    Odyssey White Hot Pro 2.0 2 Ball with superstroke mid 2.0 grip

Quote Originally Posted by bobmac View Post

CIMG0759.jpg

Then practice

I'm not buying wedges 'to improve my short game' I just want to make sure I have the right tools to start with that's all. My old iron set had a sand wedge whereas this set doesn't, hence the need to get the right clubs in the bag.
    • TaylorMade R11-S (12)
    • Cleveland RTX-3 (50)
    • DX2 Optix

Quote Originally Posted by bobmac View Post

CIMG0759.jpg

Then practice

Already working on it.
    H/C: 13.9 Clandeboye Golf Club, Bangor, Northern Ireland. Driver: Callaway GBB Epic Subzero. 3 wood: TM SLDR Tour Hybrids: TM M1 2017 3 - TM RBZ Stage2 4. Irons: Ping G 5-PW. Wedges: SM6- 50, 56, 60. Putter: Odyssey 2-ball Fang Tank

Quote Originally Posted by Orikoru View Post
    I'm not buying wedges 'to improve my short game' I just want to make sure I have the right tools to start with that's all. My old iron set had a sand wedge whereas this set doesn't, hence the need to get the right clubs in the bag.
    Thats why I said get a 50 and a 56.

I'd be more concerned about the gaps at the other end of your bag
    Mad inventor of the www.v-easy.co.uk A knowledgeable person knows lots of stuff, a wise person keeps it to themself

Just buy a 56 to match the 50 you already have, hey presto a matching pair

Id go with what you suggested yourself, 48/52/56 but make sure that the 56 has a minimum of 10* bounce if you intend to use it as your go to sand iron.