Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Filming swing

Assistant Pro

Re: Filming swing

Dan Whittaker from Youtube has posted a video on how to capture your golf swing.

I'm assuming you are wanting to record your swing from behind. It's informative and only 3 minutes long, he mentions that you should be recording from hand height.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2kwH-SlxA0
    Handicap 2017: 24.0 > 17.4
    Handicap 2018: 17.4 > 11.4

Quote Originally Posted by PaulyMcK View Post
    Dan Whittaker from Youtube has posted a video on how to capture your golf swing.

I'm assuming you are wanting to record your swing from behind. It's informative and only 3 minutes long, he mentions that you should be recording from hand height.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2kwH-SlxA0
    Was going to post the same but I think Bob makes a valid point about filming at a range. It's something I've done, including recording lessons I've had and the camera height has made an impact on what I filmed. Granted the quality of the lighting didn't help. If you can film outdoors then the Dan Whitaker video provides some good advice

Quote Originally Posted by HomerJSimpson View Post
    Was going to post the same but I think Bob makes a valid point about filming at a range. It's something I've done, including recording lessons I've had and the camera height has made an impact on what I filmed. Granted the quality of the lighting didn't help. If you can film outdoors then the Dan Whitaker video provides some good advice
    Having the camera that low would mean for a lot of golfers you wouldn't be able to see what position the clubface is in at the top of the backswing
    Mad inventor of the www.v-easy.co.uk A knowledgeable person knows lots of stuff, a wise person keeps it to themself

Quote Originally Posted by bobmac View Post
    Having the camera that low would mean for a lot of golfers you wouldn't be able to see what position the clubface is in at the top of the backswing
    You can change the brightness of the video on hudl app. I film at the range and put my phone on the top of my golf bag behind.

I would like it a bit higher up though

Tour Winner

Quote Originally Posted by bobmac View Post
    if you cant see the clubface at the top of the backswing with the camera at waist hight then...... lesson 1. lets fix that overswing

Journeyman Pro

guess most folks will be tryin to record the swing in a range bay even more so in the winter
    trouble is the size of the bays often times make that tricky given the available space

shot in slo-mo frame rate most useful if poss (go pro's or other cams that have a linear shutter function not so useful as they will distort the shaft especially from face-on view - really need a global shutter function)

to record a swing that would be most help in an analysis you really got to have 2 viewpoints one from face-on (or caddy viewpoint) with the lens at hands height at a center position that is parallel to target line with the player in frame as big as poss while still being able to see the clubhead face angle at the top of the swing plus seeing the club head during the backswing when the shaft is 1st horizontal to the ground - given range bay design that's a difficult ask

the other viewpoint needed of the same club swing is the dtl viewpoint again bay design doesn't make this so easy
    optimum would be lens as far back as poss ideal would be around 12' & then zoom in to again get the player as big as poss in frame but that still allows the clubhead face angle at the top of the swing to be seen

reason for the lens as far away as poss & then using the zoom to make the player larger in frame is that helps to cut down the effect of parallax - if the lens is close to the player parallax comes into play more

again ideally the lens height would be best at hands height & from directly behind the hands the lens being at 90 to target line using the framing to limit sky as much as possible while still seeing the clubhead at the top of the swing
    if the daylight makes this too silhouette an image then try to raise the lens height some

as the golf swing is 3d having the 2 viewpoints (even though it's 2d vid) of the swing motion is a bunch more helpful than just having either a dtl or face-on alone

sometimes the best way of doing this is buying a clamp and flexible joint & pole from a photo/video store tends not to be so cheap but often times it's a deal more useful than an iPhone type tripod

clamp Then you also need the flex joint & small telescopic pole - clamp something like this which originates from Germany

http://www.triad-orbit.com/ioc
    the_coach Handicap Index +4.2
    Driver: TM M3 9.5 M Tensei Orange TX
    3metal:TM M3 15 M Tensei CK Pro White TX
    5metal: TM M3 19 M Tensei Ck Pro White TX
    Irons 3 - 9 Callaway Apex Pro 16 KBS Tour C-Taper S+ w125g
    Wedges: Cleveland 588 rtg's 46 bounce 8 KBS 610 S+ w125g. 52 bounce 8 KBS 610 S+ w125g. Fourteen RM 12 (forged) 58 bounce 8 KBS Hi-Rev X-S w135g.
    Putter: Scotty Cameron 2004 Newport Beach 1.5 Milled Titleist Pro V1x -

Two shots of Tiger filmed from different heights

rtt.jpg

I know which one I prefer
    Mad inventor of the www.v-easy.co.uk A knowledgeable person knows lots of stuff, a wise person keeps it to themself

Head Pro

Selfie Golf clips on to a alignment stick or bag, keeps popping up on instagram
    2018: 5.8 > current 5.8 (year best 4.8)
    2017: 8.1 > 5.8
    2016: 12.0 > 8.1
    Handicap 2015: Restarted August :-)