Challenge Tour Pro

Matchplay question

Am sure this will be basic stuff, but Iím ashamed to say I donít know the correct answer.

Iím off 24. Played today with a mate who is off 27. We normally play stableford but decided to play matchplay this time.

I knew I needed to give him a shot on 3 holes, but wasnít sure which 3. Do I give him a shot on the 3 hardest holes (SI 1-3), or on the 3 holes he would normally get an extra shot on if we were playing stableford (SI 7-9)?

Re: Matchplay question

Quote Originally Posted by rudebhoy View Post
    Am sure this will be basic stuff, but Iím ashamed to say I donít know the correct answer.

Iím off 24. Played today with a mate who is off 27. We normally play stableford but decided to play matchplay this time.

I knew I needed to give him a shot on 3 holes, but wasnít sure which 3. Do I give him a shot on the 3 hardest holes (SI 1-3), or on the 3 holes he would normally get an extra shot on if we were playing stableford (SI 7-9)?
    3 with the lowest SI, so SIs 1-3
    In the bag:
    TM M1 9.5 degree
    TM M1 17 degree hybrid
    Orka RS1/RS3 Irons 3-PW
    Orka RS10 Wedges 52,56,60
    Ping Ketsch

Handicap: 7

Challenge Tour Pro

Quote Originally Posted by fundy View Post
    3 with the lowest SI, so SIs 1-3
    thanks!

Tour Winner

May l be the 99th person to point out that you don't give him shots on the three hardest holes. You give him shots on holes SI 1 to 3. Which is not necessarily the same thing.
    Handicap Challenge - 19.3 (23 Dec)
    The uglier a manís legs are, the better he plays golf. HG Wells. I got nice legs...

Quote Originally Posted by backwoodsman View Post
    May l be the 99th person to point out that you don't give him shots on the three hardest holes. You give him shots on holes SI 1 to 3. Which is not necessarily the same thing.
    No, you may not; but thanks for asking.
    • Welton Manor Golf Club
    • 2017: 20.1 ---> 21.0 ---> 20.6
    • 2016: 21.5 ---> 22.0 ---> 19.5 ---> 20.1
    • 2015: 21.0 ---> 21.5