Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Bunkers GUR & a fair drop

Quote Originally Posted by duncan mackie View Post
    Drop zone could be prkvided if the committee deem it appropriate. Clearly the committee don't agree worth you.
    In fairness you will often find that the fairness is a function of the pin position and you would need multiple drop zones for pin positions. As such it's basically swings and roundabouts..
    It's not about the pin position at all. From the bunkers, unless you just fall in one side, you will need to drop on a downslope. I can get out of bunkers easily and have a decent up and down record. From these drops on the slopes and tights lies you have pretty much zero chance of an up and down. The GUR bunker is a serious disadvantage, I'd much rather go in a bunker.
    Hcp - 4.6, lowest so far 😊

Journeyman Pro Green Bay Hacker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by duncan mackie View Post
    What ever you agreed with your opponent at the time stands ie if you agreed it was caaualnwater and you would drop and play thats it. That you (both) subsequently established it at gur isnt relevant.
    What actually happened was that I cleaned up the GUR sign in the bunker and replaced it while my opponent went and retrieved my ball and I replayed the shot from behind the bunker. Didn't feel right that I got to do that but it was at his suggestion.
    Mizuno JPX EZ 9.5 driver, Cobra S9.1 3 wood, TaylorMade RBZ 5 wood, Cobra Amp Cell 2-3 Hybrid, Ping G20 irons 6-PW, Titleist 52, 56 and 60 Vokey wedges, Odyssey White Hot putter.

Tour Winner

Quote Originally Posted by KenL View Post
    If your ball is in the bunker you drop at the NPR. This can be on a downslope off a very tight lie shot over the bunker to the pin.
    Re reading all your posts has me confused.

Do I now understand that you originally dropped correctly outside the GUR (ie non bunker) at the npr rather than within 1cl of the npr?

And that you are complaining that the drop was on a downslope?

What sort of lie would you have had if the ball had simply stopped just short of the bunker on the downslope?
    You seem to want a DZ for a free drop that gives a better lie than being in the bunker.

Have I got the picture wrong? If so, my apologies but can you please explain a bit more

Head Pro

It's not about the pin position at all. From the bunkers, unless you just fall in one side, you will need to drop on a downslope. I can get out of bunkers easily and have a decent up and down record. From these drops on the slopes and tights lies you have pretty much zero chance of an up and down. The GUR bunker is a serious disadvantage, I'd much rather go in a bunker.
    Remember that you can always play from GUR unless the committee in charge of the competition has implemented a local Rule (or CoC) saying that relief MUST be taken.

Challenge Tour Pro

My course once formed a "beautification committee" where a bunch of non golfer ladies planted flower beds all over the course with no regard for how they would would affect play or consulting the architect. Shortly after they started I landed in one and practically destroyed it trying to get out. No GUR or other no-play rule had been implemented. (I probably would have ignored it anyway,,,I was really mad about it.)

I felt great satisfaction when I did that.

Quote Originally Posted by rulefan View Post
    Re reading all your posts has me confused.

Do I now understand that you originally dropped correctly outside the GUR (ie non bunker) at the npr rather than within 1cl of the npr?

And that you are complaining that the drop was on a downslope?

What sort of lie would you have had if the ball had simply stopped just short of the bunker on the downslope?
    You seem to want a DZ for a free drop that gives a better lie than being in the bunker.

Have I got the picture wrong? If so, my apologies but can you please explain a bit more
    Yes, I dropped correctly. I was asking if there was an option within the rules that allowed a "fair" relief drop. I had two virtually impossible places to play from yesterday after dropping from the bunker. I would have had a much easier situation if I been in the bunker even if the ball was in a poor lie in the bunker.

Quote Originally Posted by rulie View Post
    Remember that you can always play from GUR unless the committee in charge of the competition has implemented a local Rule (or CoC) saying that relief MUST be taken.
    Our local rule is that you must take relief from an area marked GUR.

Tour Winner

Yes, I dropped correctly. I was asking if there was an option within the rules that allowed a "fair" relief drop. I had two virtually impossible places to play from yesterday after dropping from the bunker. I would have had a much easier situation if I been in the bunker even if the ball was in a poor lie in the bunker.
    Who said golf was fair?

Tour Rookie

Jim8flog- your thoughts about being in a footprint make no sense to me!
    The point I make is a simple one. I too consider myself to be a fairly good bunker player but every so often you get a lie which it virtually impossible to get up and down from or even out of the bunker. Your assumption is that you will not be in such a position if you went in to the bunker in the first place.
    Handicap 9 (was 6, now showing my age)An absolute miss mash of clubs

this used to be an issue at Nairn. Over winter 5 or 6 greenside bunkers were re revetted at a time and they would all be GUR. so you had to take NPR. all that's changed now as all closely mown areas you have to use a mat anyway
    http://www.nairngolfclub.co.uk/

The Nairn Golf Club, Club Champion (handicap) 2017