Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Bunkers GUR & a fair drop

At my club excellent work is being carried out rebuilding bunkers.

If your ball is in the bunker you drop at the NPR. This can be on a downslope off a very tight lie shot over the bunker to the pin.

I ended up with 2 impossible shots this morning, frosty ground did not help! I ended up blobbing both holes when I would have had a reasonable chance of par from the bunkers.

Can anyone suggest a fairer relief situation that would still be within the rules?

Could each bunker under repair have a drop zone in a fairer position for example?

Hcp - 4.6, lowest so far 😊

Tour Winner

Re: Bunkers GUR & a fair drop

Has the whole bunker been declared to be GUR or only part of it?

The whole of the bunkers that are being worked on are GUR. They have a white line around them protecting new turf and either a sign in them or GUR painted.

Journeyman Pro

The rule is the rule. Provided there is sufficient room to drop ball the club would not be allowed to have drop zones.

I would not see it as being fair to all players that you get a good clear lie just because there is a bunker between you and the flag.

There is no guarantee that you would have got out of the bunker in the first place simply because you could not prejudge what sort of lie you have had in the bunker. E.G you could have been at the bottom of somebody's footprint 6" below the surface.
    Handicap 9 (was 6, now showing my age)An absolute miss mash of clubs

Tour Winner

Quote Originally Posted by KenL View Post
    The whole of the bunkers that are being worked on are GUR. They have a white line around them protecting new turf and either a sign in them or GUR painted.
    As the whole bunker has been declared GUR then it automatically becomes Through the Green and it is no longer a Bunker.

As it is Through the Green the relief under 25-1 b(i) is available.

If you take relief you must play from outside the GUR.

http://www.usga.org/rules/rules-and-...sion-25,d25-13

Note:
    In your OP you say "If your ball is in the bunker you drop at the NPR." That is not quite correct. If the whole bunker is not GUR You drop within 1cl of the npr, not nearer the hole but in the bunker.

Thanks rulefan.

So I believe I dropped correctly today as per rule b (i).

I assume that this rule is fixed and that a fairer drop zone can't be put in place?

Honestly, some of the NPRs would cause Seve to double bogey at best!

Jim8flog- your thoughts about being in a footprint make no sense to me!

Journeyman Pro Green Bay Hacker's Avatar

As this thread is about bunkers being GUR, could someone please clarify what should happen in this case. I was playing match play today at an away course today and went in a bunker. There was water in the bunker so I took a drop, still in bunker and played the shot. I tried to rake the bunker but it was solid and as I put the rake down my opponent pointed out a GUR sign lying flat in the bunker that was virtually covered with wet sand/mud. Should I have replayed the shot from outside the bunker or carried on?
    Ping G400 driver, G400 5 wood, G400 2 Hybrid, Ping G20 irons 5-PW, Titleist 52, 60 Vokey wedges, Callaway Sure Out 56 wedge,Odyssey White Hot putter.

Money List Winner

Quote Originally Posted by KenL View Post
    Thanks rulefan.

So I believe I dropped correctly today as per rule b (i).

I assume that this rule is fixed and that a fairer drop zone can't be put in place?

Honestly, some of the NPRs would cause Seve to double bogey at best!
    Drop zone could be prkvided if the committee deem it appropriate. Clearly the committee don't agree worth you.
    In fairness you will often find that the fairness is a function of the pin position and you would need multiple drop zones for pin positions. As such it's basically swings and roundabouts..
    some metal woods,
    any old irons,
    Pick up balls....

12.2 and moving the wrong way again...

Money List Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Green Bay Hacker View Post
    As this thread is about bunkers being GUR, could someone please clarify what should happen in this case. I was playing match play today at an away course today and went in a bunker. There was water in the bunker so I took a drop, still in bunker and played the shot. I tried to rake the bunker but it was solid and as I put the rake down my opponent pointed out a GUR sign lying flat in the bunker that was virtually covered with wet sand/mud. Should I have replayed the shot from outside the bunker or carried on?
    What ever you agreed with your opponent at the time stands ie if you agreed it was caaualnwater and you would drop and play thats it. That you (both) subsequently established it at gur isnt relevant.
    some metal woods,
    any old irons,
    Pick up balls....

12.2 and moving the wrong way again...