Page 13 of 33 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: 54 handicap !

Re: 54 handicap !

Quote Originally Posted by HankMarvin View Post
    Still a bit harsh for the 19 handicapper who is just about there is it not.
    Then split them into Choppers 19-29, Chompers 30-40 & Diggers 41-54 😜

Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    Then split them into Choppers 19-29, Chompers 30-40 & Diggers 41-54 😜
    What the heck does chomper mean and Digger ?

Am I missing something here
    Full set of PXG clubs from putter to Driver. Pro V1 golf ball

Quote Originally Posted by HankMarvin View Post
    What the heck does chomper mean and Digger ?

Am I missing something here
    I think it means your not very good at Golf.

Someone call?
    2017- 11 > 11.1 > 11.2 > 11.3 > 11.4 > 11.5 > 11.6 > 11.7 > 11.8 > 11.9 (Handicap Review) > 13.4
    2018- 13.4
    In The Bag:

Titleist 915 D2 Driver 9.5*
    Titleist 915 F 3 Wood 15*
    Titleist 915 H Hybrid 21*
    Mizuno JPX EZ 16 - 5,6,7,8,9,PW,GW
    Cleveland Rotex 2.0 - 52,56,60
    Odyssey White Ice 2 Ball Putter

Quote Originally Posted by rosecott View Post
    Can I relate my experience of the effects of the introduction of handicaps beyond 28/36?

Our Handicap Committee decided to embrace the Club Handicap system early in 2016 with no restrictions on eligibility for competitions.

12 men were offered Club Handicaps in the range 30 to 41 - 2 declined - they were significantly younger than the others, fairly new to the game and felt that they were happy to remain on 28 and improve from there.
    5 of those who accepted have managed to reduce their handicaps, 4 of them by 1 or 2 strokes, 1 by 5 strokes. None of them shot the lights out in competitions, managing to get very occasionally into the first 4 in their division. The guy who dropped 5 shots (in 2 years) did so by spending loads on lessons and practised a lot. He now feels he has stagnated and is withdrawing from competition play to concentrate on practice and lessons (he is 78).

7 ladies were offered Club Handicaps in the range 41 to 46 –none declined. 1 lady remains on the handicap allocated, the other 6 have all increased by between 1 and 7 strokes and none have shot the lights out in comps.

Apart from one member – a well known objector to anything –the introduction of these higher handicaps was fairly quickly accepted as the norm. Having gone to great lengths to explain the new situation to anyone who was willing to listen, I’m sure that the 2018 changes will be accepted with little fuss.

There is no need for mass hysteria at these changes. I would think it highly unlikely that there will be a spate of initial allocations of handicaps of 54 – in any event, Handicap Committees have the responsibility to closely monitor all newly allocated handicaps.
    This ^^^^^^^^ ought to help the doubters.
    We offered some half a doz members Club H/caps..... all declined & haven't improved. We gained, from another Club, a young (early 30's) playing off 34 & he has the satisfaction of receiving a couple of 2 shot cuts as he improves.
    With regard to h/caps higher than this we have a 9 year old junior who played off 39 but has come down to 31 without 'stealing' prize money as they can't win money.
    A couple of years ago at Seaton Carew, I watched a one armed golfer tee off the first & wondered what h/cap he played off.
    For those that doubt golf is for ALL... read this & be prepared to be humbled....... or just sod-off & play golf on your own
    2Blue H/cap started on 9.9... 45 Q Comps later I'm on 10.3
    http://www.leedsgolfcentre.com/

Quote Originally Posted by HomerJSimpson View Post
    The biggest fear I have with the new system, is the player new to sport but with a sporting aptitude who gets nervous putting the handicap cards in and gets a much higher handicap than we've seen. It won't take them long with a little dedication, practice and tuition to get much better but having the capability to win a lot of events on the way. I guess you could argue this has always been the case but I think we'll see it a lot more and those comps, usually honour board events, are going to be even more in favour of the higher handicappers I fear.
    What, like Hywel???
    Or Pedro as you called him.
    He got his name on the honours board didn't he??? Playing with some other guy.
    Last edited by Smiffy; 07-Jan-2018 at 05:10.
    Cooden Beach Centenary Betterball Champion 2012 with Richart Handicap 13.0 Member http://www.coodenbeachgc.com/ Nike Covert 2.0 VRS Driver, 3 & 5 woods.TaylorMade RSi1 4-LWYes Tracy Putter. THIS IS THE YEAR OF THE KNOB.

Quote Originally Posted by bobmac View Post
    There is one silver lining........
    The previous high handicappers will soon find out what it feels like to get stuffed every week
    I'm loving the idea of a 28 h/c now complaining about bandits 😁.

Lots of scare stories from "proper" golfers, pretty much all of whom will benefit from shots from scratch golfers, who must constantly feel this way. Of course, low h/c could just enjoy playing the game better than most of us rather than moaning on. It will be interesting to see how this develops over the year.

Quote Originally Posted by Digger View Post
    Someone call?

Lol.....So Diggers do exist
    Full set of PXG clubs from putter to Driver. Pro V1 golf ball

Tour Rookie

I am on our handicap committee and we have an agreed formula for our existing 28/36 handicappers which we will use when we do the review. The worst player I can think of at our club is likely to end up with a handicap of around 47. I do not think it would worry me playing match play against him.

The only thing that ever bothers me when I play with him, he is in one the our groups in a medal is he will not pick up regardless of how bad the score is and it can take an age to play a round. For him however the game is very much about the social side.
    Handicap 9 (was 6, now showing my age)An absolute miss mash of clubs

Quote Originally Posted by Orikoru View Post
    I get that it's about encouraging more people to join golf clubs, but I think they should have capped it at 36. People getting 3 shots on a hole seems ridiculous to me. Imagine getting 1 point for getting a 7 on a par 3. It's a bit much.
    Imagine giving someone 3 shots on a par 3 and he flukes a 3
    Mad inventor of the www.v-easy.co.uk A knowledgeable person knows lots of stuff, a wise person keeps it to themself