Page 11 of 33 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: 54 handicap !

Re: 54 handicap !

Quote Originally Posted by fundy View Post
    i expect its an ok system if handicaps are quite close and theres only a few holes start, but the bigger the gap the worse it becomes
    To be fair if both players are 18 and under it benefits the lower handicap. If there was a 8 shot difference I would rather start 4 down than having to give up shots on 8 holes.

Journeyman Pro Green Bay Hacker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Digger View Post
    I tend not to worry about other peoples handicaps. I try to play well to mine. I can't influence what anyone else does, and if they're happy winning off 54, good luck to them.
    This. The only score i'm really interested in is my own, trying to get my handicap down each competitive round I play (not very successfully of late).
    Ping G400 driver, G400 5 wood, G400 2 Hybrid, Ping G20 irons 5-PW, Titleist 52, 60 Vokey wedges, Callaway Sure Out 56 wedge,Odyssey White Hot putter.

There is one silver lining........
    The previous high handicappers will soon find out what it feels like to get stuffed every week
    Mad inventor of the www.v-easy.co.uk A knowledgeable person knows lots of stuff, a wise person keeps it to themself

Tour Winner

Quote Originally Posted by bobmac View Post
    There is one silver lining........
    The previous high handicappers will soon find out what it feels like to get stuffed every week
    great post 🤣

Quote Originally Posted by Green Man View Post
    I know its madness. last year a +2 played a 22. The guy off 22 started 12 up. He lost 3&2 after managing one half.
    I assume that once the holes are given then the match is played without any shots, ie both players play scratch?
    Clubs - Various wooden woods. xVarious bladed irons. xVarious strange old putters. xxxIt's not all about the score. xx
    Handicap - 12.4
    2018 HFH Handicap Challenge vs Richart & Bigfoot

Quote Originally Posted by Crow View Post
    I assume that once the holes are given then the match is played without any shots, ie both players play scratch?
    yes thats correct.

The biggest fear I have with the new system, is the player new to sport but with a sporting aptitude who gets nervous putting the handicap cards in and gets a much higher handicap than we've seen, for arguments sake 40. It won't take them long with a little dedication, practice and tuition to get much better but having the capability to win a lot of events on the way. I guess you could argue this has always been the case but I think we'll see it a lot more and those comps, usually honour board events, are going to be even more in favour of the higher handicappers I fear.

Board competitions are not worth a jot unless it's the Club Championship Board (scratch) so no issue with a 54 handicap winning a basic board competition. Not that we have any in Scotland
    Mizuno MP 18's muscleback TM M4 DriverTM M2 3 Wood Glenearn Golf Club

Quote Originally Posted by HankMarvin View Post
    Board competitions are not worth a jot unless it's the Club Championship Board (scratch) so no issue with a 54 handicap winning a basic board competition. Not that we have any in Scotland
    I donít disagree, thereís too much focus on winning a handicap pot in England. It disincentivises decent golfers from playing in club comps IMO. All the really low fellas at my place play in opens more than club comps. I know the css has an input on this also, but so does their remote chance of winning

Quote Originally Posted by HomerJSimpson View Post
    The biggest fear I have with the new system, is the player new to sport but with a sporting aptitude who gets nervous putting the handicap cards in and gets a much higher handicap than we've seen, for arguments sake 40. It won't take them long with a little dedication, practice and tuition to get much better but having the capability to win a lot of events on the way. I guess you could argue this has always been the case but I think we'll see it a lot more and those comps, usually honour board events, are going to be even more in favour of the higher handicappers I fear.
    I think that this also is an excellent point homer. It may take a while for their handicap to catch up with their ability ?