Page 5 of 33 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: 54 handicap !

Re: 54 handicap !

Quote Originally Posted by rosecott View Post
    Can I relate my experience of the effects of the introduction of handicaps beyond 28/36?

Our Handicap Committee decided to embrace the Club Handicap system early in 2016 with no restrictions on eligibility for competitions.

12 men were offered Club Handicaps in the range 30 to 41 - 2 declined - they were significantly younger than the others, fairly new to the game and felt that they were happy to remain on 28 and improve from there.
    5 of those who accepted have managed to reduce their handicaps, 4 of them by 1 or 2 strokes, 1 by 5 strokes. None of them shot the lights out in competitions, managing to get very occasionally into the first 4 in their division. The guy who dropped 5 shots (in 2 years) did so by spending loads on lessons and practised a lot. He now feels he has stagnated and is withdrawing from competition play to concentrate on practice and lessons (he is 78).

7 ladies were offered Club Handicaps in the range 41 to 46 –none declined. 1 lady remains on the handicap allocated, the other 6 have all increased by between 1 and 7 strokes and none have shot the lights out in comps.

Apart from one member – a well known objector to anything –the introduction of these higher handicaps was fairly quickly accepted as the norm. Having gone to great lengths to explain the new situation to anyone who was willing to listen, I’m sure that the 2018 changes will be accepted with little fuss.

There is no need for mass hysteria at these changes. I would think it highly unlikely that there will be a spate of initial allocations of handicaps of 54 – in any event, Handicap Committees have the responsibility to closely monitor all newly allocated handicaps.
    careful posting real evidence in amongst lots of hearsay hard to argue with the process having read this
    In the bag:
    TM M1 9.5 degree
    TM M1 17 degree hybrid
    Orka RS1/RS3 Irons 3-PW
    Orka RS10 Wedges 52,56,60
    Ping Ketsch

Handicap: 7

Quote Originally Posted by hovis View Post
    both really. all the comps I've played this year have been away comps because of this.
    At my place u really need to score 40+ to win. My best results this year was 40 & I came third. 45+ on a regular basis is daft IMO. Sounds like something’s wrong with ur handicap commitee. I don’t mind anyone off any handicap shooting the lights out as long as he’s cut appropriately

Tour Winner

Quote Originally Posted by therod View Post
    At my place u really need to score 40+ to win. My best results this year was 40 & I came third. 45+ on a regular basis is daft IMO. Sounds like something’s wrong with ur handicap commitee. I don’t mind anyone off any handicap shooting the lights out as long as he’s cut appropriately
    they are cut appropriately. they also get esr. its just that as soon as one gets cut there is another in waiting

Journeyman Pro

Quote Originally Posted by chrisd View Post
    Do you mean cheated??
    Yep, absolutely

do you spend your spare time looking at cabbys posts and then saying that there irrelevant? this is the second o e today. get a life. hes clearly joking. Mr sensible!!!

Oh a stalker, I'm giddy with excitement.

they are cut appropriately. they also get esr. its just that as soon as one gets cut there is another in waiting
    Am I right in thinking that your handicap has dropped significantly in the last year or two? Just an impression I got. If that is the case, how do you think lower handicap players viewed your results until you reached your present level?

Do you really think there is an inexhaustible supply of bandits lurking in the shadows just waiting for their turn when the previous one has been dealt with?
    Last edited by rosecott; 06-Jan-2018 at 15:51.

Journeyman Pro

I'd be surprised if anyone plays to a 54 handicap they'd be that bothered about joining a club and getting a handicap tbh.

Not quite sure I understand the downside of a 54 (c) handicap to be honest.

If a new player comes along and plays his required 3 cards and has a 54, then that is his current ability.

Any qualifying competitions he plays in, and scores well, would have an affect on his handicap (0.6 per shot under h/c?)

So if he regularly comes in with 40 points, his handicap would tumble and normalise to his playing capability.

Also, those that now have a 28 playing h/c and clearly are unable to play to it, would also go up and still have the right to play in qualifying competitions.
    In my Bag
    Titleist AP1 712 4-PW
    Titleist 54 & 60 Vokey SM4 Wedges
    Taylormade R15 10.5 Driver
    Cobra BIO-Cell 17.5 fairway wood
    Mizuno Putter
    Umbrella

28 -----> 27.2 -----> 26.1 ------> 26.7
    Slowly Slowly coming down AND up

Quote Originally Posted by Cabby View Post
    I'd be surprised if anyone plays to a 54 handicap they'd be that bothered about joining a club and getting a handicap tbh.
    Why not ? As long as they are out enjoying themselves what’s the problem ?

If raising the HC level encourages more to take up the sport and join clubs will that not be good for the game and golf clubs?

Journeyman Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Liverpoolphil View Post
    Why not ?

May be just me then, cause I certainly wouldn't, I'd do just what you say, play for fun til I got to a decent standard, and no, 54 isn't a decent standard by any stretch.

Think I played to about 54 today!