Page 4 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: 54 handicap !

Tour Winner

Re: 54 handicap !

Quote Originally Posted by Papas1982 View Post
    Generally speaking donít lower handicappers win more often? Certainly do at my place.

obviously the higher the handicap the more opportunities they have for crazy points. But a scratch player versus an improving 15 would still struggle. If someone has a settled handicap then theyíve as much chance as any.
    not at my place
    below is 48 points off a 24 handicap. that's typical
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by hovis; 06-Jan-2018 at 12:47.

Quote Originally Posted by therod View Post
    Agree to a point. Is it really winning of 54/36/28/15??
    But taken to the extremity that means were all off scratch.
    Iíd still enter comps as I donít play golf to win necessarily, just get better, but without handicaps how would I measure that?
    There are plenty though were winning off a double digit handicap is paramount
    Your scores would come down

Thats harsh imo. If a handicap comp is run then anyone with a handicap (a true one) should have a chance. Otherwise we might as well make them all scratch comps. As one persons acceptable handicap may be anotherís ďrubbishĒ.
    Maybe so but that's my opinion
    Mad inventor of the www.v-easy.co.uk A knowledgeable person knows lots of stuff, a wise person keeps it to themself

Quote Originally Posted by hovis View Post
    when did i say a 23 handicap should give his prize back?.
    i think 28 is fine and should stay that way.

there has to be a line. a 28 handicaper is impossible to beat when he's having a good day. imagine a 50 handicaper having a good day. extra categories would most definitely need to be put in place.
    One instance from last year - Seniors Singles knockout. Handicap 15 versus Handicap 41. Handicap 41 six up after seven holes. All square at the 18th. Handicap 15 wins at first extra hole. None of those on Club Handicaps made it beyond the second round.

I tend not to worry about other peoples handicaps. I try to play well to mine. I can't influence what anyone else does, and if they're happy winning off 54, good luck to them.
    2017- 11 > 11.1 > 11.2 > 11.3 > 11.4 > 11.5 > 11.6 > 11.7 > 11.8 > 11.9 (Handicap Review) > 13.4
    2018- 13.4
    In The Bag:

Titleist 915 D2 Driver 9.5*
    Titleist 915 F 3 Wood 15*
    Titleist 915 H Hybrid 21*
    Mizuno JPX EZ 16 - 5,6,7,8,9,PW,GW
    Cleveland Rotex 2.0 - 52,56,60
    Odyssey White Ice 2 Ball Putter

not at my place
    below is 48 points off a 24 handicap. that's typical
    If, as you say, that is typical, then your Handicap Committee is not up to the job.

Is that typical or just picked out to support your argument?

Quote Originally Posted by bobmac View Post
    Your scores would come down

Maybe so but that's my opinion
    I think we agree in the whole. Just a shame that Golf isnít just made up of sensible fellas like us!!
    It does have to account for the Ďwinnersí!!

when did i say a 23 handicap should give his prize back?.
    i think 28 is fine and should stay that way.

there has to be a line. a 28 handicaper is impossible to beat when he's having a good day. imagine a 50 handicaper having a good day. extra categories would most definitely need to be put in place.
    You didn't say 23 but you've said 'that high' which I assume you mean 54. Any higher handicapper is difficult to beat when they have a good day but the difference in the handicaps are not designed for the lower handicap to win any more than the high one. It's important that the handicap Secretary keeps an eye on any players who clearly are playing better than their handicap and be prepared to alter quickly if necessary.

If I have any worries about a 54 handicap it's more about their potential pace of play given that even if he and I play to our handicaps he is going to need 42 more shots and possibly more time searching for lost balls.
    removed list of clubs as they change too frequently !

Handicap 12.0

Tour Winner

Quote Originally Posted by rosecott View Post
    If, as you say, that is typical, then your Handicap Committee is not up to the job.

Is that typical or just picked out to support your argument?
    very typical. we only have one division. unless you hitting at least 40 points pluss then your not in with a sniff. the golfer in my example went onto shoot a 46 next comp and got a significant cut. Next thing you know another golfer came out the woodwork

very typical. we only have one division. unless you hitting at least 40 points pluss then your not in with a sniff. the golfer in my example went onto shoot a 46 next comp and got a significant cut. Next thing you know another golfer came out the woodwork
    Sounds like itís an issue for you. Do you play golf for enjoyment & to get better or to win?

If itís the former who cares about a 54 handicap?

Tour Winner

Quote Originally Posted by therod View Post
    Sounds like itís an issue for you. Do you play golf for enjoyment & to get better or to win?

If itís the former who cares about a 54 handicap?
    both really. all the comps I've played this year have been away comps because of this.