Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: 54 handicap !

Re: 54 handicap !

Quote Originally Posted by bobmac View Post
    If I took up a sport and I was rubbish at it, I wouldn't expect to win anything.
    Thats harsh imo. If a handicap comp is run then anyone with a handicap (a true one) should have a chance. Otherwise we might as well make them all scratch comps. As one persons acceptable handicap may be another’s “rubbish”.
    My own H4H. Challenge. Get to 16 or pop £20in the pot.

Quote Originally Posted by Cabby View Post
    Wowser, new rules on handicaps mean you can now have a 54 handicap knew I should've swung the lead when playing my 3 cards
    Do you mean cheated??
    removed list of clubs as they change too frequently !

Handicap 12.0

Quote Originally Posted by bobmac View Post
    If I took up a sport and I was rubbish at it, I wouldn't expect to win anything.
    Agree to a point. Is it really winning of 54/36/28/15??
    But taken to the extremity that means were all off scratch.
    I’d still enter comps as I don’t play golf to win necessarily, just get better, but without handicaps how would I measure that?
    There are plenty though were winning off a double digit handicap is paramount

Can I relate my experience of the effects of the introduction of handicaps beyond 28/36?

Our Handicap Committee decided to embrace the Club Handicap system early in 2016 with no restrictions on eligibility for competitions.

12 men were offered Club Handicaps in the range 30 to 41 - 2 declined - they were significantly younger than the others, fairly new to the game and felt that they were happy to remain on 28 and improve from there.
    5 of those who accepted have managed to reduce their handicaps, 4 of them by 1 or 2 strokes, 1 by 5 strokes. None of them shot the lights out in competitions, managing to get very occasionally into the first 4 in their division. The guy who dropped 5 shots (in 2 years) did so by spending loads on lessons and practised a lot. He now feels he has stagnated and is withdrawing from competition play to concentrate on practice and lessons (he is 78).

7 ladies were offered Club Handicaps in the range 41 to 46 –none declined. 1 lady remains on the handicap allocated, the other 6 have all increased by between 1 and 7 strokes and none have shot the lights out in comps.

Apart from one member – a well known objector to anything –the introduction of these higher handicaps was fairly quickly accepted as the norm. Having gone to great lengths to explain the new situation to anyone who was willing to listen, I’m sure that the 2018 changes will be accepted with little fuss.

There is no need for mass hysteria at these changes. I would think it highly unlikely that there will be a spate of initial allocations of handicaps of 54 – in any event, Handicap Committees have the responsibility to closely monitor all newly allocated handicaps.

Tour Winner

who would want a handicap that high and then claim a victory off it? one of my drives in golf was to break a 100. i didn't care about competitions. when i started breaking a 100 i then started thinking about golf comps.

Quote Originally Posted by hovis View Post
    who would want a handicap that high and then claim a victory off it? one of my drives in golf was to break a 100. i didn't care about competitions. when i started breaking a 100 i then started thinking about golf comps.
    The reason I love golf is because irrespective of my competitors, I can always try to beat myself (my handicap), whilst I can see why some people would want to give up if they were stuck on 54. If they start there and improve a point or two each round then it’s progress. We all start somewhere.

I started on 23 and very soon won some comps - should I have declined the prize? What you start on is relative to your abiliy, the game is all about handicaps and if your a 48 handicap and play to it what's the difference with that and a 7 handicapper winning?
    removed list of clubs as they change too frequently !

Handicap 12.0

Tour Winner

Quote Originally Posted by chrisd View Post
    I started on 23 and very soon won some comps - should I have declined the prize? What you start on is relative to your abiliy, the game is all about handicaps and if your a 48 handicap and play to it what's the difference with that and a 7 handicapper winning?

when did i say a 23 handicap should give his prize back?.
    i think 28 is fine and should stay that way.

there has to be a line. a 28 handicaper is impossible to beat when he's having a good day. imagine a 50 handicaper having a good day. extra categories would most definitely need to be put in place.
    Last edited by hovis; 06-Jan-2018 at 12:42.

because there has to be a line. a 28 handicaper is impossible to beat when he's having a good day. imagine a 50 handicaper having a good day. extra categories would most definitely need to be put in place.
    Generally speaking don’t lower handicappers win more often? Certainly do at my place.

obviously the higher the handicap the more opportunities they have for crazy points. But a scratch player versus an improving 15 would still struggle. If someone has a settled handicap then they’ve as much chance as any.

who would want a handicap that high and then claim a victory off it?
    What's the problem?
    In principle, it's exactly the same as winning a competition off 20 or 10 or 5...
    It's your handicap - if it's too high because the player is improving then that handicap will drop and if they win a comp or two on the way down then good luck to them.
    It's exactly the same as starting on 20, winning a couple of comps and coming down to 12.
    People seem to be getting hysterical over this...
    If someone genuinely needs a 54 handicap in order to compete then a 54 handicap is what they get.....
    Callaway clubs in a Callaway bag.

Handicap 7.9 at Whipsnade Park

H4H Handicap challenge Vs r0wly86

You might be a King or a Little Street Sweeper but sooner or later you dance with The Reaper...