Page 1 of 33 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 54 handicap !

Challenge Tour Pro

54 handicap !

Wowser, new rules on handicaps mean you can now have a 54 handicap knew I should've swung the lead when playing my 3 cards

Q-School Graduate

Re: 54 handicap !

Maybe it will encourage newer players to join clubs sooner on the basis that they can still learn the game on a higher handicap and work on reducing it gradually.

But in contrast, I donít know many players that play off a 28 handicap if any at all. So would there be a need for a 54 handicap for men. Even some of the seniors who are in their 70ís and 80ís donít play off that high of a handicap.

Money List Winner

Quote Originally Posted by rob_golf1 View Post
    Maybe it will encourage newer players to join clubs sooner on the basis that they can still learn the game on a higher handicap and work on reducing it gradually.

But in contrast, I donít know many players that play off a 28 handicap if any at all. So would there be a need for a 54 handicap for men. Even some of the seniors who are in their 70ís and 80ís donít play off that high of a handicap.
    Last time I looked through a (large) sample of UK clubs (via the HDID) club data for the vast majority of clubs there were more players in the 28 category than any other, and for a large number of clubs there were more with a 28 than the whole of cat 1 combined!

Clearly it varies across clubs, and from posts on here there are clubs who actively discourage even the current cat 4.

At the end of the day if it's not a factor for any particular club then the change is irrelevant. If it was a factor there is now a way forward - simples.
    some metal woods,
    any old irons,
    Pick up balls....

10.8 and moving the right way again...

Challenge Tour Pro

Don't think our club would be to chuffed with a 54 capper chopping up the fairways

Quote Originally Posted by Cabby View Post
    Don't think our club would be to chuffed with a 54 capper chopping up the fairways
    maybe they thin everything

Challenge Tour Pro

Quote Originally Posted by paddyk View Post
    maybe they thin everything
    Even so, they should take their knifing elsewhere, we are far too good for them

There are 24 members of my club who have a 28 handicap with "competition" status.

There are a number of them who cannot play to it. By the end of the year it is expected that we will have several men with handicaps in the 30-33 range.....the only golfers we expect to end up with handicaps at the higher end of the new range are those who are new to the sport and obtaining a handicap for the very first time.
    Ping Rapture 13*Ping G 16.5* 3-woodPing G 19* & 22* hybridsCallaway Apex CF16 5i-AWTitleist Vokey wedgesScotty Futura XCallaway Chrome Soft

a similar thought had occurred to me on another issue - stupid, irrelevant comments on online forums.....

Journeyman Pro

Think you will find itís low caps who take the biggest divots!

But 54 is a joke it is not encouraging players to get to a certain standard before going out to play.

Can understand older members but a fit .35yr old playing off 54 ?

Tour Winner

Quote Originally Posted by PNWokingham View Post
    a similar thought had occurred to me on another issue - stupid, irrelevant comments on online forums.....
    do you spend your spare time looking at cabbys posts and then saying that there irrelevant? this is the second o e today. get a life. hes clearly joking. Mr sensible!!!