Page 20 of 33 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Thread: 54 handicap !

Re: 54 handicap !

The golfers who'll get these Cat 5 and 6 handicaps are already on your courses playing golf, just stuck on 28 at the moment. We have divisions for comps anyway so it wont really make a difference in the main.
    COYS

Journeyman Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Liverpoolphil View Post

And as for pace of play - well I have seen more low HC players take a damn sight longer due to having multiple lessons and them using the PSR they have been taught on every single shot.
    I used to always play with my dad and uncle growing up.. both would be about 36 handicap probably...

they go round an 18 hole in 3 hours 30 but have done one in under 3 hours

I play with an 11 handicapper sometimes... our rounds are over 4 hours .. never has to declare his ball "lost" because he always finds it when he does go off target.. and takes about 17 billion practice swings

I enjoy playing with my dad and uncle more.
    In the bag TM M2 10.5 DriverTM M2 3 woodPing G15 5 woodTM Jetspeed 3 HybridTM Jetspeed 4 HybridTitliest 716 ap1 6-9 SM5 vokey wedges 46, 50, 54 , 58 degreeOdyssey White Hot Rossie Putter

Money List Winner

Quote Originally Posted by brendy View Post
    Their money their choice but is it right to remake the handicapping just to let those that are total novices (or unable to learn to play the game better) be competitive?
    Golf can be both competitive and social, surely the other option is to join, play socially and when the skill level is improved enough you can enter competitions. Kind of like a golf driving license.
    It's not being 'remade'.

The earliest system involved the course manager (early pro/greenkeeper/secretary) allocating the specific strokes to be given in every match (stroke play events didn't exist). Some consider this the best system ever

Current changes are stated to be in the cause of creating a single, unified, handicapping system and, I believe, all the others have more than 28 as a maximum male handicap - so with this regard somethings got to change somewhere!

In the brief (relative to the history of the game) time I've had a handicap the maximum has been 18, 24 and 28 - and the 18 probably relates more closely to a current 15 as it was based on medal play scoring without double bogey cut off etc. Was it any more right than last year or the new ones? Of course not because there isn't a right or wrong involved.

The real question is whether players of all standards should be encouraged to play, and compete in, the game. Personally I believe there is a right answer to that question.
    some metal woods,
    any old irons,
    Pick up balls....

10.8 and moving the right way again...

just had a browse though our handicap list and we don't have a single male off 28, so i can't see it making any difference to Men at my club. Ladies may do, but there are other more pressing issues for some of our ladies than handicaps
    http://www.nairngolfclub.co.uk/

The Nairn Golf Club, Club Champion (handicap) 2017

Challenge Tour Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Reemul View Post
    I like a wind up and mickey take sessions plenty however I find it just doesn't work online or on forums. It's difficult to get it over without the right look, you know the wink, the nod or the grin. It just doesn't translate well to text only. It is true when you talk on topic you are interesting but the rest is just irritating and makes you look a little ......(insert relevant descriptive insult here)

Well we all have our faults, nobody is perfect as they say.

Challenge Tour Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Liverpoolphil View Post
    There is another thread about the decline in golf - attitudes being displayed towards High HC or novices or people who just aren’t that good are a big reason for people not taking up the game

And you believe that do you, due to attitudes folk aren't taking up the game, you honestly believe that's the reason, I'd suggest they don't because many won't play a game/sport because they aren't very good at it, I certainly wouldn't play golf if I was playing off or something around 54, what fun is that.

Quote Originally Posted by Cabby View Post
    And you believe that do you, due to attitudes folk aren't taking up the game, you honestly believe that's the reason, I'd suggest they don't because many won't play a game/sport because they aren't very good at it, I certainly wouldn't play golf if I was playing off or something around 54, what fun is that.
    Where is your cut off though? 36/28/18 at what level wouldn’t you play.
    If I was just starting out I’m not sure I’d want to go on a full course until I was lower, maybe 28 as an arbitrary number, but it may actually be lower.
    Some may not feel that way, do you legislate against that or do you encourage them to improve. Banning someone from a course until they are a 28 may not incentivise

Quote Originally Posted by Cabby View Post
    Are you trolling or are you genuinely completely right up your own arse?

Challenge Tour Pro

Quote Originally Posted by therod View Post
    at what level wouldn’t you play.

Please note, this is me personally, so don't you or anyone else get offended by this reply...

My last game before I came back playing years ago I lost 7 balls, couldn't hit the ball at all, when I returned after a very lengthy layoff, I told myself, if I couldn't knock it round, I wouldn't start playing again. I hated that day I lost 7 balls, I couldn't wait to get off the course, the day I came back in September, I shot 83, first game in years, had I shot 93, it's unlikely I would've continued playing...

Challenge Tour Pro

Quote Originally Posted by drive4show View Post
    Are you trolling or are you genuinely completely right up your own arse?

eh ? You telling me playing off of 54 would be fun ?