Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Money List Winner

Yet another NHS thread

Guess what, it's winter and there is a shortage of beds. Last winter, the same. Winter before, the same. Year before, year before etc etc. As Missis T has just said ( 36 yrs NHS ) Why is it a surprise. Ave just asked Missi T a question, "when the trusts paid millions over the odds to have these hospitals built, why did they not factor in say 3 extra dormant wards to use during the winter months". She said " er they did but ended up using them for the rest of the year". What am I missing? It has never affected me but why do we put up with this crap every year. Missis T mentioned she had to open one of these temp wards and was supplied with crap agency nurses and insisted on Bank nurses if she was to continue running said ward. How have we let this system/ NHS get to State year after year. Rant over.

Re: Yet another NHS thread

There is a huge amount of cash wasted in the NHS - we all know that but its not the main reason.
    We are an expanding population. We generally live longer, as we live longer we develop more illnesses or afflictions that require treatment.
    It's impossible for the Government, any Government, to give the NHS all the cash it needs - there just isn't enough unless we raise all tax to extortionate proportions.
    It has an almost infinite number of Clients but a very finite amount to spend on them.
    The pot just isn't big enough.
    Callaway clubs in a Callaway bag.

Handicap 7.7 at Whipsnade Park

You might be a King or a Little Street Sweeper but sooner or later you dance with The Reaper...

Always the same.
    When the real Mrs T() decided that the Medway towns should centralise most of the hospital services and increase one to do almost everything, they closed down the others before the one super (allegedly) hospital was fully operational and up and running. Now it is stretched worse than Stretch Armstrong and running on vapours.
    Forever trying.

I play golf with a top consultant, a GP and a orthodontist who's married to a GP and it seems in talking to them that it is simply a lack of funding. I think they also know that fat cat management is part of the problem as well as poor control over expenditure
    removed list of clubs as they change too frequently !

Handicap 12.0

Money List Winner

Quote Originally Posted by chrisd View Post
    I play golf with a top consultant, a GP and a orthodontist who's married to a GP and it seems in talking to them that it is simply a lack of funding. I think they also know that fat cat management is part of the problem as well as poor control over expenditure
    This I do agree with but it just seems that if you do not nod and agree with fat cat policies then next winter we will have the same old same old. As does Missis T agree with what you said.

The NHS is AWESOME! Yes, there are some issues with management and spending but if you are really ill (I mean REALLY ILL) then you will be seen, helped and put in a ward.

I think that the vast majority of the world would swap places with those waiting outside a ward for a few hours in a blooming heartbeat.
    spray it about a bit and can't putt 🇿🇦

Expanding population and people living longer in need of more services in the red corner and not enough facilities in the blue corner. In all of your areas when was the last time you had an extra hospital built. I don't mean one knocked down and a new one in its place. In the last 30 years I don't know of one in my neck of the woods

Quote Originally Posted by Captainron View Post
    The NHS is AWESOME! Yes, there are some issues with management and spending but if you are really ill (I mean REALLY ILL) then you will be seen, helped and put in a ward.

I think that the vast majority of the world would swap places with those waiting outside a ward for a few hours in a blooming heartbeat.
    Awesome if you in the right post code
    2016: Started Playing->23.0
    2017: 22.7->14.4

A friend of mine ruptured his thigh muscle on New Years Eve was rushed to hospital and they said that because they had cancelled most operations they invited him to come back 24hours later and they fixed it for him!
    removed list of clubs as they change too frequently !

Handicap 12.0

Quote Originally Posted by chrisd View Post
    The last sentence would seem to contradict the first.

A larger, elderly population is inevitably going to stretch the service and there is a mixture of things to do :

Cut the waste. People have talked about this for years yet it is still rife. Like turning a tanker, this will take a while and some determination

Drop some treatments that are non essential or lifestyle decisions. These will be unpopular but something has to give. Few at the moment seem up to taking this on.

Joined up thinking between depts and other sectors, work smarter.

I'm sure some of this is happening already but not enough and not countrywide. Tashy's point is spot on. We know bed blocking is an issue yet year after year we hear the same problem. I'm sure some hospitals are nailing these issues. Their best practice should be seen and learnt from.