Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
    Assistant Pro

Re: Formby Hall - Membership

Back to the thread on this I know a few people who are members at FH.

The two things that keeps cropping up as gripes with them are; The course gets very very wet in the winter almost unplayable at times. Secondly as mentioned with visitors being a big attraction to the FH resort and neighboring courses, the round times can be painfully slow and long. I have witnesses this as a guest where its been over 5 hours to play 18. Like all places they have blocks out just for members.

I think its a pretty decent course in the summer and a tough test of golf.

Quote Originally Posted by LCW View Post
    Back to the thread on this I know a few people who are members at FH.

The two things that keeps cropping up as gripes with them are; The course gets very very wet in the winter almost unplayable at times. Secondly as mentioned with visitors being a big attraction to the FH resort and neighboring courses, the round times can be painfully slow and long. I have witnesses this as a guest where its been over 5 hours to play 18. Like all places they have blocks out just for members.

I think its a pretty decent course in the summer and a tough test of golf.
    Cheers for this. I appreciate the info

Journeyman Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Stegsie View Post
    Hanging fire until Feb / Mar works for me.

Cheers all!
    Ok just let me know

Journeyman Pro

Cheers for this. I appreciate the info
    We played on the 2 rounds 1 night BB deal a couple of years ago and the course was in great condition, despite it absolutely chucking it down on the 1st day. I booked it and they did have block bookings for members, I think up to mid day Sunday but not sure Monday onwards, think we played from 11 onwards on the Monday.

I guess it's like all hotel course's, if you can play before a certain time you'll be fine if not then I'd expect a 5 hour round which is how long it took us to get round. Clubhouse food is very good but at hotel prices.

We all enjoyed it but it was busy.
    Ping G15 Driver
    Ping G20 Hybrid
    Ping G10 18 Hybrid
    Cobra Amp 5-SW Irons
    Titliest Vokey 60 degree
    Taylormade Rossa Putter

Handicap 27

Really in two minds on what to do. Will have a think about it over the weekend.

Definitely leaving our place, so might even do a Year as a nomad and save some pennies for West Lancs!

Decisions, decisions ...

Assistant Pro

Definitely leaving our place, so might even do a Year as a nomad and save some pennies for West Lancs!

Decisions, decisions ...
    I really enjoy WL but I honestly don't know if I could handle being beaten up by that course/weather on a weekly basis especially when its the most expensive 1st year join apart from Royal Birkdale in the area.

Still a really nice course and being a member would be superb if you are coming from a wet inland golf club.

Pity the clubhouse does nothing for me but each to their own.

I could happily sneak out to the back 9 on a quiet summers evening and get lost working on my game.

If you get free range balls and access to the par 3 course then its an ideal spot to improve your game.
    Titleist 915 D4 10.5*
    Titleist 913 F 16* 4 wood
    Titleist 913 19* 5 wood
    Titleist 915 24* hybrid
    Titleist 915 27* hybrid
    Mizuno Fli Hi JPX (2012) 6 & 7 (or ap2 6&7 iron)
    Titleist 714ap2 8-gap
    Vokey SM 6 56* 14*bounce
    Titleist sm5 k grind 60* 11*bounce
    Lee Trevino Napa style putter
    handicap updated to --(2017)8.2---8.4---8.2---8.0---7.8--

Quote Originally Posted by LCW View Post
    I really enjoy WL but I honestly don't know if I could handle being beaten up by that course/weather on a weekly basis especially when its the most expensive 1st year join apart from Royal Birkdale in the area.

Still a really nice course and being a member would be superb if you are coming from a wet inland golf club.

Pity the clubhouse does nothing for me but each to their own.
    I'd have to agree with you on this.

I think it's a great test of golf though. I enjoy it the more I play it and I think if you played there every week you'd soon learn to play the tough conditions. as you know Crosby is windy all year round!!

Where do you play?

Decisions, decisions ...
    Do it Stegsie. I'd resign myself to writing my 1st years subs off and enjoy the course.

Assistant Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart_C View Post
    I'd have to agree with you on this.

I think it's a great test of golf though. I enjoy it the more I play it and I think if you played there every week you'd soon learn to play the tough conditions. as you know Crosby is windy all year round!!

Where do you play?
    Fortunately I have the pleasure of playing Hillside twice a week.