Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Formby Hall - Membership

Morning all!

I trust everyone had a nice Christmas and New Year.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone is (or has been) a Member of Formby Hall Golf Club?

I am potentially moving on from our place and I've been offered a pretty decent deal at Formby Hall. Now, my main area of concern is that I see Formby Hall as being more of a "Resort Type' of place. Generally plenty of society days and corporate's going out (IMO). The staff there seem excellent, and the course is always in decent condition, but I am a little worried about the above.

Any comments would be appreciated. Wouldn't want to sign up and discover that I can't get a game due to it being full of visitors / societies!

Cheers
    The Pursuit of Excellence is a Lifelong Endeavour ...

Journeyman Pro

Re: Formby Hall - Membership

Quote Originally Posted by Stegsie View Post
    Morning all!

I trust everyone had a nice Christmas and New Year.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone is (or has been) a Member of Formby Hall Golf Club?

I am potentially moving on from our place and I've been offered a pretty decent deal at Formby Hall. Now, my main area of concern is that I see Formby Hall as being more of a "Resort Type' of place. Generally plenty of society days and corporate's going out (IMO). The staff there seem excellent, and the course is always in decent condition, but I am a little worried about the above.

Any comments would be appreciated. Wouldn't want to sign up and discover that I can't get a game due to it being full of visitors / societies!

Cheers
    Mate of mine left for this reason , booked his tee time in advance only to be told a society had booked in and he had to wait over an hour.
    This happened to often so he went elsewhere.

How come you're moving mate?

Quote Originally Posted by clubchamp98 View Post
    Mate of mine left for this reason , booked his tee time in advance only to be told a society had booked in and he had to wait over an hour.
    This happened to often so he went elsewhere.
    Yep, I can see this being an issue ... nightmare.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart_C View Post
    How come you're moving mate?
    Just thinking about a change. Nothing major wrong with our place but not enjoying it as much of late.

Just thinking about a change. Nothing major wrong with our place but not enjoying it as much of late.
    Hows it looking there? Bit wet?

I like to play there now and again but I couldn't play there week in week out.

I'd stick with a members club over a resort curse.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart_C View Post
    Hows it looking there? Bit wet?

I like to play there now and again but I couldn't play there week in week out.

I'd stick with a members club over a resort curse.
    You know what, its actually playing better than it ever has. Course is in great nick and the drainage is vastly improved.

You know what, its actually playing better than it ever has. Course is in great nick and the drainage is vastly improved.
    I played there a few times this year, and found Southport Municipal to be less wet in some cases. I cannot see how their drainage has improved. It's quite a good course, and with it always being wet, is a test off the whites.

I'm not a member, but I'm amazed how easy it is to get a tee time there, and there doesn't seem to be much time set apart for members. The rounds I've played there this year were twilight rounds, around 3PM mostly. I have never got around there in less than 4 1/2 hours playing as a single, or a pair. The round times are stupidly long.
    In the Bag
    Driver - 2017 Taylormade M1 460
    3W - Taylormade SLDRs 15
    Srixon Z-U65 20 Iron
    Irons - Mizuno MP54 4-PW
    Wedges - 52 Vokey SM5, 56 Vokey SM6, 60 Cleveland RTX3
    Odyssey O-Works 1W

if formby hall had been closer to liverpool i would have joined there no problem. much better than all the city courses.

the tee times thing would resolve itself in time.

Played there on a weekend outing in May 2016. Whilst the course was busy, there was reserved tee times on the saturday for the members and they had tee reserved for a medal during the early afternoon.